• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT - Resistance is futile

I guess I am a bit of a cheapskate. I refuse to pay to watch sports on TV or my tablet, including the NFL and DG. I occasionally watch some free pro stuff, I guess mostly on Utube, and I enjoy it, but it's nothing I would pay for. To me, watching is just okay - it is the playing that I love. Well, I am not too cheap - in 10 months playing, I have bought around 200 discs! I would love it if DG ever got big enough to be on any of the cable TV channels that I already pay for, but I suspect that is highly unlikely. 🙁

For the record, I am looking forward to the new season. The live production has gotten steadily better over the years. My biggest complaint was the inability to pause the live broadcast or start watching it whenever I wanted after the live broadcast started. That apparently has been fixed for this year. I agree the pricing is getting a bit steep, but honestly the cost for a year subscription at the Standard level is about the same as it costs me to take my family out to dinner these days. It also says you get two devices at that level (3 devices at the Pro level), so maybe I can split the cost with a friend? Not exactly sure if the different devices can be used in different houses at the same time. Bring on the 2024 season of live disc golf!
You used to be able to pause and watch. They took it away and then brought it back with a higher charge to access that feature.

Lemme know when it isn't all about $$$$$...

I won't be paying to watch DGPT. I am old school I guess, they already have sponsors and still have ads that they get paid for when watching live. NFL's biggest revenue still comes from TV commercials, I had no problem not watching the playoff game on that streaming service, and I don't normally even watch the SB. If they succeed in getting a major amount of subscribers it will only get higher priced in some way because they can still get subscribers.
I went to over the air, antenna for TV over ten years ago, I do have a Roku and once in awhile I will pay to stream something, but not on a regular/monthly basis. I do not pay to watch things on Youtube, I pay by watching the ads to the extent I can't stop it. I presume that there will still be DGPT tournaments available a week or two after the event on Youtube, if not, no big deal.

I watched some of the skills competition on Youtube today. The video quality wasn't any better, and the mechanical whine of those drones doesn't enhance the viewing experience. However, some of the performances were very impressive.

I paused and rewound the skills competition yesterday on DGN. Live. Commentary was boring. Would have been smart to throw in footage of great shots from actual tournaments last year for each competitor.

Pulled up the app on the FIrestick in my office to finally watch some very $$ disc golf....ANNND their stream is no longer compatible with all but the most recent Amazon devices.

Mfers.

And I have a full 1G fiber to the house but their web pages to open a ticket or get FAQ answers aren't loading.

Resistance and assistance is futile!

FAQ page finally loaded, glad I finally know only the kids' room TV can show this app now -

Note: The new DGN app requires at least Fire OS 7 to run. If your device can't be updated past version 6, you will not be able to use the DGN app on it. The outdated app will let you log in, but not watch.

Lolololollll reddit is nothing but people complaining about DGN.

To be fair a lot of the complaints are dumb stuff that is obvious they didn't read through the details of the various tiers and know exactly what they are getting.

Biggest legit complaints seem to be some devices not supported now and inability to minimize the app for audio only.

As I previously said in this thread, I'm willing to pay for a decent product. Right now it's a horrible product. I got something to load once. The picture was jumpy, the camera work was bad, and the sound of drones was irritating. Since then I can't get anything to load. I canceled my subscription.

The 4 major leagues and the 2 top men's collegiate sports can be found OTA without paying for cable. Occasionally some other sports as well.
how many NBA games per year can be found OTA? are they only on the weekend? if I want to follow a specific team, will this be enough? what about when it comes to playoffs?

Sorry if I'm totally misunderstanding what you're saying, but "The 4 major leagues and the 2 top men's collegiate sports can be found OTA without paying for cable" sounds about as honest to me as saying that "DGPT events can be found on youtube" because you're able to watch the first round there.

For those who watched last weekend- did they use the new Stat Mando platform? How was that? (I fully expect it to function just fine and be as good or better than Udisc was for the purpose.)

For those who watched last weekend- did they use the new Stat Mando platform? How was that? (I fully expect it to function just fine and be as good or better than Udisc was for the purpose.)

I probably won't start watching until April. I did enjoy watching the Jonesboro Open last season, so that seems like a good point to start my subscription.

I think you'll be correct about Stat Mando, but I'd expect some issues trying to collect shot by shot data for every MPO and FPO player. It's a big jump from what they've been doing, so expecting it to be a seemless transition is probably asking too much.

As I previously said in this thread, I'm willing to pay for a decent product. Right now it's a horrible product. I got something to load once. The picture was jumpy, the camera work was bad, and the sound of drones was irritating. Since then I can't get anything to load. I canceled my subscription.

Seems to me that the camera work has improved a lot between the first time I watched a few years ago to where it ended up last year. It's not ESPN, but it is better than some of the other paid subscriptions I've had over the past five years or so. I'm curious as to whether the Jomez crew has been retained and will be contributing to the DGN broadcasts. I found their work to be pretty solid and the graphics professional.

Again, I've not watched anything from this season, so I can't speak to your experience. Can you share how you were viewing [TV, phone, computer]? (message me privately if you'd like) I'm trying to decide which subscription to get and which devices I'll be able to use will be an important part of that decision.

Looks like the detailed stat keeping was available on PDGA Live for the event. Only difference to UDisc was the precise measurement input for putts/throw ins. Since this was an exhibition I didn't really expect a full fledged player stat tracking (current and past season/year) view to be ready on the DGPT website yet. I didn't watch the DGN stream but don't recall any views displayed for these round stats in the highlight replays on Youtube. The round score/hole scores were displayed in the same way as prior year - maybe that is feeding in and formatted but the detailed stats aren't yet.

There was not a custom Team scoreboard like what UDisc provided for the All Star events in the past so Team score tracking was only posted here (manually by the looks of it) - 2024 All-Star Weekend - Disc Golf Pro Tour

And I have a full 1G fiber to the house but their web pages to open a ticket or get FAQ answers aren't loading.

Resistance and assistance is futile!
Didn't realize they had a ticket system. Opened one for AppleTV. I have to log in every time I open the app and there is no more search function. So dumb, and the app was great before the replatforming back in October

Looks like the detailed stat keeping was available on PDGA Live for the event. Only difference to UDisc was the precise measurement input for putts/throw ins. Since this was an exhibition I didn't really expect a full fledged player stat tracking (current and past season/year) view to be ready on the DGPT website yet. I didn't watch the DGN stream but don't recall any views displayed for these round stats in the highlight replays on Youtube. The round score/hole scores were displayed in the same way as prior year - maybe that is feeding in and formatted but the detailed stats aren't yet.

There was not a custom Team scoreboard like what UDisc provided for the All Star events in the past so Team score tracking was only posted here (manually by the looks of it) - 2024 All-Star Weekend - Disc Golf Pro Tour
Interesting how they essentially carbon-copied the UDisc layout for stats. Not sure there are many other ways to compactly display the stats, but it looks like they didn't even try to change it in any way. But imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Looks like UDisc already found the ideal way to do it.

I probably won't start watching until April. I did enjoy watching the Jonesboro Open last season, so that seems like a good point to start my subscription.

I think you'll be correct about Stat Mando, but I'd expect some issues trying to collect shot by shot data for every MPO and FPO player. It's a big jump from what they've been doing, so expecting it to be a seemless transition is probably asking too much.

Seems to me that the camera work has improved a lot between the first time I watched a few years ago to where it ended up last year. It's not ESPN, but it is better than some of the other paid subscriptions I've had over the past five years or so. I'm curious as to whether the Jomez crew has been retained and will be contributing to the DGN broadcasts. I found their work to be pretty solid and the graphics professional.

Again, I've not watched anything from this season, so I can't speak to your experience. Can you share how you were viewing [TV, phone, computer]? (message me privately if you'd like) I'm trying to decide which subscription to get and which devices I'll be able to use will be an important part of that decision.
It seemed like the cameras weren't as stable or something, it may of seemed like that because the stream was jumpy though.

I tried to watch on an android phone off of their website and using their app. I'm not sure how it worked once but never again.

Anyone know if post production coverage of any/all European tournaments is going to be on Jomez this year? Or will MDG Media still be providing coverage?