• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

American Disc Golf Tour

To me, the crux of this whole debacle (and it is so typical of Salient) is that I feel that they were counting in ESPN holding more weight in the DG Community.

It might carry more weight if it weren't just another online streaming platform...

To me, the crux of this whole debacle (and it is so typical of Salient) is that I feel that they were counting in ESPN holding more weight in the DG Community.

I think it is kind of funny that, the handful of redundant haters here, are being considered the DG Community. It is my feeling that most DG I see, play with and talk to are interested in both the success of the "tour" and the chance to watch more DG....streaming or not. Of course, they don't have the vested interest as some here.

Yellow! A lot of us don't do so well with orange and red.

Sorry, you color blind people are just SOL ;)

Seriously though, when watching dg on youtube a lot of times you can't see the basket when they're all silver -- they blend in like camouflage. The brighter the better whatever the color. And fwiw, those salient red baskets are not bright enough.

I think it is kind of funny that, the handful of redundant haters here, are being considered the DG Community. It is my feeling that most DG I see, play with and talk to are interested in both the success of the "tour" and the chance to watch more DG....streaming or not. Of course, they don't have the vested interest as some here.

I find it hard to believe that any disc golfers who dont check out forums have even heard of this "tour"

You must have talked to all 13 people that signed up for this game changing event.

The first statement is correct. We're certainly not the DG Community.

On the other hand, I've only heard one person on the broader community in which I travel mention it. He was enthusiastic....but he thought it was going to be on TV, and was considerably less so when I explained that this would be on the internet only, with hopes by the promoters of future events being on TV.

And I'm in the neighborhood.

The first statement is correct. We're certainly not the DG Community.

On the other hand, I've only heard one person on the broader community in which I travel mention it. He was enthusiastic....but he thought it was going to be on TV, and was considerably less so when I explained that this would be on the internet only, with hopes by the promoters of future events being on TV.

And I'm in the neighborhood.

Gods I hate the lack of statistical knowledge in our country. We are the disc golf community, or at least a statistically significant portion of it. If you sample a large enough portion of a population, you can make pretty good predictions about how the population views an issue.

Two caveats, one, we represent the portion of the DG Community that participates in on line forums. Two, as pointed out, it is highly unlikely that the non-online community has a clue about this or cares one way or the other.

That said, unless you're willing to assume there is actually a difference between online, and offline players, and how they perceive such things, you can assume that the online population's view of this issue will represent the offline view, if they were to be informed about this event, the PDGA, and Salient.

To be clear, statisticians have studied such situations for hundreds of years. Sample populations derived randomly can be used to reliably determine the view of the population as a whole. Assuming that the online community is reasonably random (possibly not) their view would represent the view of the larger DG Community pool.

So, as seen here, the DG Community kind of thinks this stinks, and a few outliers support the cause. Of course, I'd want to look closely at those outliers, given the propensity of political and capitalist entities to try and influence the outcomes of such things....

In support of my position, I quote those numerous posters that have pointed out the following: there's only thirteen friggin' participants. That is important because, well, look at the whining that goes on about the big tournies filling. That is, if this was a real, or big event, they wouldn't be trying to get any warm body they could find to enter. Tisn't hard to figure out....

"the handful of redundant haters here, are being considered the DG Community"---I don't think this handful, perhaps a couple of dozen of us, represents the wider disc golf community. Which is what I was replying to.

I would guess most of the DG community has moved on from this already (not saying people here should). The couple of comments I've seen outside of this thread/forum/website has been just as negative.

In support of my position, I quote those numerous posters that have pointed out the following: there's only thirteen friggin' participants. That is important because, well, look at the whining that goes on about the big tournies filling. That is, if this was a real, or big event, they wouldn't be trying to get any warm body they could find to enter. Tisn't hard to figure out....

I am not convinced participation in this event is low because of Salient or the organizers. I have indeed talked to golfers who have heard of this event. They are talking about all the new proposed tours. Yes, likely from some online source or from conversation with other golfers. The prevailing opinion seems to generally be without prejudice against Salient. Most have heard of the company, surprisingly not all. The brand is not very popular amongst the tournament, league or casual players I see. None of the golfers I have talked to have had any dealings with Salient, outside purchasing a disc of theirs. Most simply see more tournament opportunities for pros or ams as a good thing. They certainly are not wishing failure on anyone. They see the opportunity to get the game streamed anywhere, as a postive. I am going to remain convinced, despite statistical considerations, that the fine participants in this thread, represent the very tiniest sliver of the DG community. The DG community consists largely of casual players, most having never dealt with DGCR, PDGA, tournament play or Salient.

And no......I am not Kilgus, lol.

The DG community consists largely of casual players, most having never dealt with DGCR, PDGA, tournament play or Salient.
I also believe this is the case for disc golf. Most have never heard of the PDGA much less the other two.

I would guess most of the DG community has moved on from this already (not saying people here should). The couple of comments I've seen outside of this thread/forum/website has been just as negative.

I care about this thread, other than that my interest in this is event is 0%.

I am not convinced participation in this event is low because of Salient or the organizers. I have indeed talked to golfers who have heard of this event. They are talking about all the new proposed tours. Yes, likely from some online source or from conversation with other golfers. The prevailing opinion seems to generally be without prejudice against Salient. Most have heard of the company, surprisingly not all. The brand is not very popular amongst the tournament, league or casual players I see. None of the golfers I have talked to have had any dealings with Salient, outside purchasing a disc of theirs. Most simply see more tournament opportunities for pros or ams as a good thing. They certainly are not wishing failure on anyone. They see the opportunity to get the game streamed anywhere, as a postive. I am going to remain convinced, despite statistical considerations, that the fine participants in this thread, represent the very tiniest sliver of the DG community. The DG community consists largely of casual players, most having never dealt with DGCR, PDGA, tournament play or Salient.

And no......I am not Kilgus, lol.

There are actually two groups, and for the purposes of this discussion, one doesn't matter. There are those who are interested in tournament play, and those who are not. Yes you can put the two groups together as having a commonality, disc golf, but for the purposes of this discussion, they are very disparate.

The crux of my argument was that you can use those posting here as a good sample. Remember, you're talking about posters nation wide, indeed, world wide, who come to this site, and comment. You're comparing that to a handful of people you've talked to. IMO, one represents a significant sample, the other doesn't. To make sure, in my life as a scientist, I took two years of solid statistics and used it day to day to analyze data.

I stand my argument, statistically speaking, as a representation of those who play tournaments, this group is significant. More so than those you've "talked" to. I might even argue it is a good representation of those who aren't interested in large scale tournament play, but I'm less confident there. I see them post here, frequently enough, but not at a high enough level that I'd trust any observation they might make concerning this topic.

You seem determined to find a positive for this event. I don't know either Salient, or this event. That is, I don't have an axe to grind. If you look early in this thread you will see I even said we should take it seriously. However, I do know numbers, and how big events fill. This event isn't hitting on all cylinders for either of those measures. That registers with me.

BTW - take a look at the other tours that have started this year, there are two of them. Look at the communications, and how they went about building them. Instead of a big chunk, they took on small chunks, after first building expertise and credibility. They also worked within the current disc golf framework of the PDGA. As a small businessman, second career, my experience is that is the correct pathway to success.

There are actually two groups, and for the purposes of this discussion, one doesn't matter. There are those who are interested in tournament play, and those who are not. Yes you can put the two groups together as having a commonality, disc golf, but for the purposes of this discussion, they are very disparate.

The crux of my argument was that you can use those posting here as a good sample. Remember, you're talking about posters nation wide, indeed, world wide, who come to this site, and comment. You're comparing that to a handful of people you've talked to. IMO, one represents a significant sample, the other doesn't. To make sure, in my life as a scientist, I took two years of solid statistics and used it day to day to analyze data.

I stand my argument, statistically speaking, as a representation of those who play tournaments, this group is significant. More so than those you've "talked" to. I might even argue it is a good representation of those who aren't interested in large scale tournament play, but I'm less confident there. I see them post here, frequently enough, but not at a high enough level that I'd trust any observation they might make concerning this topic.

You seem determined to find a positive for this event. I don't know either Salient, or this event. That is, I don't have an axe to grind. If you look early in this thread you will see I even said we should take it seriously. However, I do know numbers, and how big events fill. This event isn't hitting on all cylinders for either of those measures. That registers with me.

Good post. I don't really agree, though. I think for the most part this thread is far more represenative of players with an axe to grind against Salient. Perhaps for very good reason, and I would agree that it should be heeded. I would suggest that most tournament players have no feelings toward Salient, one way or the other. Others have no real motive to do much posting here. I also don't really believe this tournament was built for success. It is well documented here, mistakes have been made and compounded. But, I think comparison to well established tournament with years of history could be unfair. I think considerations such as cost, time of the year, location, format, course....all have to be taken into consideration. Again, I don't want to leave the impression that Salient's actions have not been a major impediment to their own success. Though, despite the fun had here at sherking any responsibility, I think we bear some. The full negative press by a handful here have certainly done damage.....some even might be proud.
I am not a vindictive sort, nor one to ever root against anyone. Even my passionate rooting for my favorite sports teams is always kept to pulling for my team....never rooting against the opponent.

I think for the most part this thread is far more represenative of players with an axe to grind against Salient. Perhaps for very good reason, and I would agree that it should be heeded. I would suggest that most tournament players have no feelings toward Salient, one way or the other. Others have no real motive to do much posting here.

^^Yup.

This thread is mostly populated by a passionate, prolific handful of posters. I don't really think it's that representative of DGCR in general, let alone all disc golfers.

I do think that some of the criticisms expressed here are valid. It's also been amusing to keep up with this thread on a day-to-day basis. However, it would take a heck of a lot of credulity to call this an unbiased sample group of the disc golf community.

Latest posts