• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Amish Disc Golfers

Goatman

Par Member
My Amish neighbors just dropped off 5 gallons of gas for course maintenance so they can play on Wednesdays. They don't have time to help but don't want to be freeloaders either. His words as he dropped it off and headed for the #1 tee " This is so much fun it should be against the law". :clap:

That's awesome, it never occurred to me that the Amish may be interested in disc, but there's really no reason for them not to play. That's really nice of them to pitch in and help maintain the course in their own way as well.

That's awesome, it never occurred to me that the Amish may be interested in disc, but there's really no reason for them not to play. That's really nice of them to pitch in and help maintain the course in their own way as well.

It probably depends on how strict the particular group is. I know there are some that don't use polymers or rubber... so it would require wooden discs? Could be wrong here.

But yes, this is awesome. And yes, disc golf is way fun.

This made me laugh when I read the title. But that's awesome, and kind of unexpected.

It probably depends on how strict the particular group is. I know there are some that don't use polymers or rubber... so it would require wooden discs? Could be wrong here.

But yes, this is awesome. And yes, disc golf is way fun.
When we held our Old Barn event in the Amish area of the state, there were some jokes about "organic discs" being used if any from their community showed up to play.

This made me laugh when I read the title. But that's awesome, and kind of unexpected.

Yea I was expecting to see a funny story about some weirdly dressed disc golfers or something. Then when I saw who the OP was, I knew it was real Amish people. Having been to his course a couple times it doesn't surprise me at all that there are Amish people in the area.

Goatman, I hope I get to make it down there for your tourney this year!

Last edited:
Wow, that's pretty cool. The majority of our club members could learn a lesson here.

This reminded me of one of my posts from over a year ago.

[This reminds me of the most bizarre dream I had. I was on a road trip and stopped in Amish country for some baked goods, when off in the distance I saw a local walking down the street with a couple discs in his hands. I went up and asked him if he knew some good courses. He said "Courses?? We just play through town." Then he proceeded to show me how their rules were different than ours. They threw one drive, propped it up where it landed, then kicked it into a roll. Then, you had to run real fast to catch up with it and continue kicking it along before the roll slowed down. Now, I know this probably wouldn't actually work, but like I said, it was a bizarre dream.]

Strangely, I've seen Amish folk playing in my area before. For maybe the first time ever, I felt like I needed to at least gently hide my beer on a frolf course.

At my former home course, I would occasionally see three Amish women in full garb, bonnets and all, out throwing a few holes.

Strangely, I've seen Amish folk playing in my area before. For maybe the first time ever, I felt like I needed to at least gently hide my beer on a frolf course.

I don't believe the Amish, or all Amish, are anti-alcohol.

I'm not surprised that some Amish would play disc golf. The biggest limitation would be transportation---the speed and range of travel being such that fewer would have courses nearby, or be able to travel to them. Other than that, it would seem to fit in with the lifestyle.

That's awesome! Makes me think of a time when i was kayaking on my favorite river, there are some pretty good rapids and a rock we call "flipper", everyone always eats it. We are drinking beer and watching the tourists lose it, this guy in a hat is coming down the river. As he gets closer we realize he is Amish, fully dressed, pants, boots, cotton long sleeve button up, hat, suspenders the whole 9. He shreds the rapids like a pro and perfectly executes the 90 degree turn while in the swift water that is required to avoid flipper and makes it out dry!! We are cheering him on so he comes over and in his lap is this glass jar (very illegal on the river) and he chats with us for a min and gives us the jar, It was the best tasting wine I have ever had and he was super nice told us how he makes it and how he loves to kayak. It was cool.

Kind of makes you wonder if there are any private courses on Amish property. They certainly wouldn't have posted them on here themselves...