• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] An "Anode" in base plastic?

What are these defining characteristics every other disc lacks?

I didn't say every other disk lacks the characteristics of the anode. :confused:

I meant that the Anode is unique and there is no other disc that i have found (including the ones mentioned here, and many others i have tried over the years) which can do what the Anode does off the tee box, plus its good for approaches and putting. Other putters i have tried will drop harder at the end of a drive and end shorter than the anode, it just keeps gliding and carries the extra distance, perhaps because of its deeper profile and over-molded rim that provides more gyroscopic effect. Overall an amazing driving putter and being good for everything else as well makes it a well rounded, versatile putter.

I'm not saying a pure is a bad putter and im sure it putts just as well as an anode, use what works for you! Sorry if i hurt your disc choice feelings :doh:

More versatile? They both are fast and neutral putters. The only real main difference (besides the plastic varieties) is that the Pure is shallower than the Anode which is why I settled on the Pure.

I think you missed something about the GYRO overmold.. but i will let it slide

You're talking to a big MVP fan. Take his posts with a grain of salt.

You bet I'm an MVP fan, they have made some incredible products and improved my game so much in the past couple years that i owe it to be a huge fan and support them.

Everyone is a big fan of something in disc golf, look at all the pages and pages of "big Innova fans" that post "Just get a Roc" to every suggestion thread on the internet. That doesn't mean i discredit their posts, we all have opinions even if we disagree.

over this conjecture...

Conjecture means to make an opinion on the basis of incomplete information, so that doesn't make any sense considering i have thrown all these molds and compared them as a basis to formulate my opinion. ;) Most people on here throw out these empty opinions without having thrown both discs thoroughly to even be entitled to any opinion, my Pure has some major battle scars to prove it. I try to buy every new disc that comes out from most of the major companies and throw it in the bag for a week or two.. thats how i found the Tursas!

in4d, when you bleed for MVP does your blood have an overmold? :D

As far as bleeding for MVP, its funny you bring that up.. the only time i have bled for MVP was when i lost my favorite Volt in a water hazard and i cut my foot on a crushed beer can trying to find it. After a few hours and freezing toes i found it, but who knows how much blood i lost.. maybe if i had overmolded blood the crushed can wouldn't have sliced me in the first place? :D

Last edited:
I think you missed something about the GYRO overmold.. but i will let it slide

I'm talking about flight and feel. I could care less that the Anode has to do in two pieces what the Pure does in one. It's amazing how the overmold is often pushed as a plus in that regard.

You bet I'm an MVP fan, they have made some incredible products and improved my game so much in the past couple years that i owe it to be a huge fan and support them.

That's funny. My game always improved because of practice, not plastic. I hope to see you next year at Worlds winning with your overmolds. :thmbup:

That's funny. My game always improved because of practice, not plastic. I hope to see you next year at Worlds winning with your overmolds. :thmbup:

When the MVP putters where released they were the first putters that i felt good about throwing, particularly off the tee box, which was GREAT for improving my form, consistency and mechanics.

Your right about practice, but practicing with the MVP because it worked well for me is still what made me a better disc golfer today. I can't pick up any other putter and do what the anode does off the tee box.

Inside the circle for all im concerned doesn't matter, give me a distance driver and i could get good at making putts with it inside the circle. within that range its the archer, not the arrow and thats the truth.

Anyways, this thread is about a base line anode, and that doesn't exist because you cant replace the anode unless MVP makes a base line plastic. But if your only talking about putting, go ahead and use whatever feels good in your hand because it doesn't make a difference, you can get good at putting with any putter out there.

Last edited:
If you've read the earlier parts of the thread, the OP has decided to stick with Anodes and keep practicing. I personally believe you could interchange the Anode and Pure (flightwise) if you want a base plastic, but that's neither here nor there for the point of this thread since the issue's been resolved (and in a way that I think will be the most beneficial).

Fair enough to your point about your confidence with MVP molds. My first putt with a Wizard was instant love. My first drive with a Pure was the same way. Pick what gives you confidence and practice, right?

I didn't say every other disk lacks the characteristics of the anode. :confused:

You didn't?

Sorry but if you want a disc with the defining characteristics of the Anode, you will have to wait for MVP to release a base plastic, if they EVER do.

You didn't offend me. I throw nothing similar to the Anode. Unless you think a Breaker is a good Anode replacement. I have thrown an Anode and Reef, though, and I find them to be very similar. The Anode has a tad more HSS and quite a bit more LSS. The Reef glides a little more. They aren't the same, just similar. And the Reef comes in base plastic. Pure is also very close to an Anode.

Pure is quite close and has a ton of plastic options to choose from. I made my transition from Pure to Anode because they were so close in feel but I liked MVPs plastic so I made the switch.

I'm reviving this thread because I agree, MVP needs to make the anode in dx or pro type plastic, like the nova.
I hate MVP but the anode is really a good putter/approach disc.
Can the MVP fan boi's tell me why MVP won't do this?

I've had some nasty bounce outs with my neutron anode as well. Otherwise, good putter.

just get a gravity clutch and be done with it.. i have emailed mvp and wrote about the plastic for a LONG time now, all they have said is that they're working on it but its not a priority to them.. Looks like MVP would rather re-release every mold they have already made in the name of Axiom instead of working on what people actually want.

I'm reviving this thread because I agree, MVP needs to make the anode in dx or pro type plastic, like the nova.
I hate MVP but the anode is really a good putter/approach disc.
Can the MVP fan boi's tell me why MVP won't do this?

I've had some nasty bounce outs with my neutron anode as well. Otherwise, good putter.

Not a fanboy, but...
From what I understand, it's not as easy as throwing baseline pellets into the machine and producing cores that match their premium blends. There are a lot of variables that need to be smoothed out in order to produce them with the same consistency that they have currently with Proton and Neutron plastics.

Here is the info from MVP...

[ Is there a plan for Base line cores and different over-molds for that matter-- softer/harder?

There are a lot of advantages that can be attained with GYRO™ Overmold Technology in a baseline plastic. We have done some trial batches of baseline plastic in our putters. So far we are satisfied with the performance of the material. The reason we have not released it yet is that it is going to require a new mold (core and overmold) that suits the shrink parameters of the overmold process. The combination of a new plastic line and new molds means that baseline plastic requires a larger investment and learning curve than the discs we are developing at this point, so it has not been a top priority. Since our lineup is expanding, the priority of a baseline plastic has moved closer to the top now. It's hard to determine whether we will be able to launch it this year.

On a related note, when it comes to baseline plastics versus premium plastics, both core and overmold materials have to be in the same polymer family to be bondable. Therefore, it's not feasible to do a baseline core with a premium plastic overmold, and vice versa.

I fondled protos and they are tastee!! And the Q&A answer about the mold and shrinkage is exactly what they showed me, in terms of why it can't be done right away. The protos felt great, but weren't molded up like primo Ions.[/B]

It's my new mission in life to fund the baseline molds :hfive:

Last edited:
weak.
the nova and atlas have different plastic feels for the core and overmold.
MVP get to work

weak.
MVP get to work

However they may be of the same polymer family or they may not be and have some other trait that prevents MVP's process from being exactly like the copycats. Or the copycats may be of lower quality than MVPs. Nobody knows but the manufacturer(s) and somebody who has a degree in material/plastic science.

Are you either of those?

Don't MVP and Innova use different methods to connect the 2 parts? MVP kinda uses a keyway and Innova uses the rivet design along with bonding. Probably wrong.

I'd still love to see MVP base plastic, especially in the putters and the Vector. A base plastic Servo would be interesting as well.

weak.
MVP get to work

MVP actually over-molds the discs.. The atlas/nova and gateways other "overmolds" are really 2 shot injections with no real chemical bonds. If you have ever watched the video where one of the retailers cuts an Ion in half (and has a hell of a time even trying to do that alone) there is no space or anything between the 2 parts as they fuse together and basically become one. That's not really the case with the other companies discs and hence why they have physical locking points. If you look at the quality of the FR ions :gross: its obvious they aren't trying to put out those kind of discs and when MVP has the ability (I think they might now) to build the actual molds in-house you will see the baseline discs hit. Its hard to have 2 different molds for the same disc though and get identical ones coming out. See below-- you would need 2 ion molds, 2 anode etc and then ensure equal QC across both'

The reason we have not released it yet is that it is going to require a new mold (core and overmold) that suits the shrink parameters of the overmold process.

They are different styles of molding the discs and Innova is not REALLY a overmold IMO. Look at the atlas and its just a different flight plate there is no core.

Last edited:

Latest posts