• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

An outside look

There is no proof of ignorance more common than conceit of knowledge. Take that putter back into the bush you found it in and find some know-it-all Facebook group to preach to, brother.

Naw, the mid-range was in the bush. I don't use Facebook.

As it was, I was more embarrassed than anything.
My purpose in bringing up my experience was to show that stuff does not equal success. Some degree (especially an increasing degree) of success is what brings me enjoyment, and I would have guessed that many would feel similarly. BUT, I have absolutely no right to tell other people what they enjoy or should enjoy.
Contrary to what you might think, not everyone who goes out and buys 75 discs, a $200 backpack bag and all of those other bells and whistles think those expenditures are going to make them more successful at disc golf. Perhaps they're just buying those things because well....they can. Just as you might justify not buying them because well....you don't have to.

I'll bet that every single person on this site recognizes this. But thanks for pointing it out...:thmbup:

Right, sorry. Carried away again. I guessed that there must be some reason that all those guys were carrying all that stuff...

Let me start over.

Hi! I've played a wee bit and enjoy it. I've noticed that other players carry a lot of stuff. Why is this? Should I be carrying a lot of stuff?

I am by no means a good player, but I do have a big array of disc. Why because I want to, I don't need them all but I like having stuff. There was a saying in paintball that its not the gear its the player. True but not having all the gear is kind of like being the shortest guy at the parade. You are there but you cant really don't know whats going on.

Last edited:
Is it too late to change my name to Shortest Guy at the Parade?

Obviously, I can't not really don't know how whats was is going on.

Of course we know there's a commercial side, inasmuch as we are the ones buying discs, backpacks, and other accessories. We also know that most every manufacturer, distributor, and shop owner plays disc golf. Many of the commercial benefactors post on DGCR, answering questions and resolving issues (some just to join in the talk & banter).

Then too, one need not spend much money to play & enjoy disc golf. Three discs will be enough for some.

What is great about disc golf is that it can be enjoyed with only three discs or with thirty discs. I imagine the OP was welcomed by the players and staff and that he was not judged or looked down upon by anyone at the event for only carrying three discs. I don't think it is fair to assume that players at an organized event carrying more than three discs or using bags are simply into consumerism.

There is an amazing diversity of people playing disc golf both casually and at events. At tournaments you can find yourself side by side with college students, working class folks, rocket scientists, athletes, housewives, children, octogenarians and free spirits (that we used to call hippies). All of them are enjoying the same sport.

I am glad you had the opportunity to play in an organized event and discover that it is not for you. Everyone needs to find their own joy in this sport. Some disc golfers enjoy the peace and quiet of a solo round while others prefer playing with family and friends. Some players enjoy meeting new people and exploring new courses. Some enjoy being outdoors and others love the exercise. Some players want to share their love of disc golf with everyone they meet. Some love to compete while others simply love to watch the disc fly.

There is no right or wrong way to enjoy disc golf. The main goal is to have fun. If players find it fun to buy new gear or to play with only three discs, then the goal of having fun has been accomplished!

I carry a lot of stuff (and would carry more if I could) because it's fun to have all the options. It also helps me play better.

...what was the question?

I carry a lot of stuff (and would carry more if I could) because it's fun to have all the options. It also helps me play better.

...what was the question?

Can I play music on the course? What should I do with a disc that I find on the course? :confused:

Did you use a stick to find it? Where's the stick now???

I threw it into the water when I was done with it, so no one else could use it, then laughed maniacally.:D

Disc golf provides some insight into our culture. It is wrapped in the same indulgences and distractions that are typical of most of our pursuits. The preoccupations with gear and distance are particularly reminiscent of our cultural materialism and excess. The childish obsession with alcohol mirrors the common mindset of a society that increasingly refuses to grow up. There is much delusion too, and the lust for distance seems more connected with comparisons to professionals than with a desire to improve one's personal scores.

I am not an experienced or a good player. I cannot throw far. I cannot putt. I have played about a dozen times in the last couple of months, once before then, about five years ago. With a few days notice, a friend recently announced that he had entered me into a tournament that took place last weekend. I was not eager to participate, but he had paid, so I went. Among the entire field of players, I was the only one without a bag. I carried three discs; one given to me five years ago, one I found in a bush, and a putter that I bought the night before the tournament.

I am not a good or an experienced player, but my time at the tournament served to illustrate that disc golf is really two games. There is the game of throwing discs at a goal, adhering to a few basic rules. This game is very enjoyable, and can support high levels of skill and success with very few discs. Then there is the game of accumulating stuff, of chasing distance unusable on the course, of exuding an "image", of little-minded adherence to rules with no competitive or meaningful application. In other words, the pure game and the commercial game. When I played what I felt was the real game of disc golf amid a commercial tournament, I enjoyed the courses and the chance to learn from players who were better than I am, but I also felt profoundly lonesome. When my placement in the standings entitled me to $124 of merchandise from a DG pro-shop, I felt tempted by something very near a devil, and went home empty-handed.

I will play the game. Not in tournaments. Not carrying anything I do not need. I went back to the pro-shop and redeemed my winnings in behalf of a few friends who want to give disc golf a try. A couple of discs each. They have never played you see. I will be their teacher. We'll be out there, lighter and lighter, and watch the flight of a disc. Mostly into trees I guess.

Guys, to be clear, I'm not trying to divide negatively individual people based on their gear or habits. Only to see clearly some of the things that may actually take enjoyment from the players. It is clear that there is a division between the game as conceived and the game as practiced by the majority. Unless you believe that the entire concept was nothing more, originally, than a devious commercial ploy.

I don't guess I called myself a "bad" player. I am absolutely not a "good" player. My very slight degree of success had more to do with an understanding of my weaknesses than the utilization of my strengths.

Wow. Despite you attempt to convince me otherwise, I see the above, as nothing more than a selfish, entitled pile of hoey. You indeed are trying to "divide negatively individual people based on gear or habits". You prove this with the alcohol propaganda message. It is an activity. A decision how to spend your free time. Make the decision and stop looking to preach to others how we should spend ours. Good luck with your game and welcome to the site.

I don't think it is fair to assume that players at an organized event carrying more than three discs or using bags are simply into consumerism.

If players find it fun to buy new gear or to play with only three discs, then the goal of having fun has been accomplished!

Right as rain brother.

Simply fascinating when special, super intelligent humans, feel the need to educate everyone else on the rights and wrongs of work/play/worship whatever..

I almost started to enjoy throwing a box of discs with my son at the local park! whew, that was close

I have a baby stroller to haul all my stuff these days. I was always putting in or taking out discs from my bag depending on wind, etc.

These days I carry way more discs than I need but with the cart, who cares. Some long open courses force you to carry so much water to get through a round I thought why not get a cart and bring a cooler, then I added an umbrella holer, golden retreiver, water shoes and a giant Voodoo bag of about 35 discs.

I love disc golf so please forgive my overkill of discs.

At least I leave 300 or so discs at home and don't bring them all :clap:

I started out with 2 discs in hand, moved to 4 in hand, then 9 in a craftsman tool bag, then 12 in a Innova standard, then 20 in a DD Soldier. Decided I didn't like all the weight and too many options and went to 14 in a fade crunch. The other day I played 2 rounds with 4 in hand.

Somewhere along the line I probably waltzed through the OP's sweet zone and should feel proud I have pleased someone. Probably not though because I have 36 discs in the car and another 2 bins full in a garage.

I love rolling out to a local pitch and putt with a bag full of 10+ putters and get my cubby on. Talk about a good time!

I had a cubby ace the other night without using chains...

Nothing but basket! :thmbup: :clap:

Latest posts