• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Analyze This! What You Carry and Why

I throw LHBH unless forced into a forehand situation. I typically throw 300-325' BH, and LHFH I can get around 200' if lucky. My thumber shots are emergency only, and typically hit a tree and rebound directly back to me (measuring out at between negative and positive 15'). I sometimes throw up a little when this happens.

Putter
DX Aviar Putt & Approach, 168g, yellow (I have two of these, one is dirtier than the other)

Mid-range
DX Shark, 171g, white
DX Roc, 168g, orange
DX Stingray, 169g, orange

Drivers
Champion Teebird, 174g, yellow
Champion Orc, 172g, blue (I'm scared of this disc and never throw it)
DX Leopard, 168g, white (forehand disc)
DX Dragon, ~150g, green

As for what discs I throw in certain situations, I tend to throw the green one only in winter, as in the summer it blends in with the grass too much. The orange and yellow ones I throw in the summer but not fall, as they become camouflaged in the fallen leaves (I generally stay away from putting in the fall). The white ones I throw anytime there is not snow on the ground.

I have been sticking with Discraft since a friend gave me a Comet years ago, which changed everything for me at the time. I wanted for now to stick with one manufacturer to get a feel for the range of discs/personalities. It's hard enough analyzing what I need, let alone sort out all the flight factors from all the manufacturers. That said, I am finally at a stage where I have a good feel for what I can/can't throw.

Also, in general I prefer to adjust hyzer rather than have the disc flight vary, so I go for discs that will for the most part fly straight depending on the throw/grip.

I throw RHBH 97% of the time, no rollers, sidearm when obstructed, never overhand.

Currently throwing about 275-300 ft. max drives when I am "on". Thrown farther drives too. And shorter ;)

Putters:
  • Elite X APX Soft Putter 173g
Just got this and liking it so far. Like the Soft Magnet, but holds it's shape.​
  • Banger-GT Putter 171g
My standard putter to date. Slightly overstable, but I kind of like the groove and have had lots of success with it to date.​

Both putters I like because they hold a fairly straight line. Can't say I am 100% satisfied with either though.

Mids:
  • Elite Z Breeze 172g
Just got this slightly understable midrange disc, and it is probably replacing the Comet. The flight adds just a little extra turn to compensate for my mids throwing style with the Comet.​
  • ESP Comet 170g
Nice and straight, with the right hyzer I can get a S-curve out of it when I need it. Good all-around mid that will fly flat & straight when I want it, and with hyzer/anhyzer throws I can alter the flight path.​
  • ESP Impact 150g
Awesome mid/fairway, was using this as my driver before I took on the Power Grip. Now it's a great, straight flying mid with a hard fade just at the end of the flight. I can put this thing down right where I want it on shorter holes or approaches.​

Drivers:
  • Elite Z Xpress
With a bit of hyzer and a strong throw, this will turn, flatten out and fly nice and straight. With a fan grip or a less-powerful Power Grip throw, I can get a left hook, as well as a sidearm right hook.​
  • ESP FLX Avenger SS 170g
Thrown level and with enough power, this will fly nice and straight, with just a bit of turn to the right. Same as the Xpress Z, with a little less power it will hook left.​

I picked up more heavy-duty drivers, but just do not have the power (yet?) to have them do anything but fade hard left, even with decent distance. I prefer to control my fades/turns with the hyzer/anhyzer and strength of the throw rather than the disc itself, so I parked them. Even the Cyclone & XS Elite X with a 1.0 stability pushes the limits of what I can do on a drive. Just a bit too overstable for me, but I foresee them being next in line when I am more comfortable with the Power Grip and my snap increases.

I also have a Surge 150 on it's way, thinking it might be similar to the Avenger SS.

I'VE GOTTEN DOWN TO SEVEN DISCS IN MY BAG

SIDEARM: DESTROYER FOR DRIVES
SIDEWINDER FOR LONG MIDRANGE
PANTHER FOR SHORT MIDS AND USING IT FOR ANHYZER BACKHAND THROWS
BACKHAND: RAGING INFERNO FOR DRIVES
TL FOR LONG MIDRANGES
BUZZZD FOR SHORTER MIDS

AND USING AN ARCHANGEL FOR PUTTING, BUT I'M STILL EXPERIMENTING, PROBABL WITH A SHARK OR WOLF. I NEVER LIKED THE RIMS ON MOST PUTTERS

I'VE GOTTEN DOWN TO SEVEN DISCS IN MY BAG

SIDEARM: DESTROYER FOR DRIVES
SIDEWINDER FOR LONG MIDRANGE
PANTHER FOR SHORT MIDS AND USING IT FOR ANHYZER BACKHAND THROWS
BACKHAND: RAGING INFERNO FOR DRIVES
TL FOR LONG MIDRANGES
BUZZZD FOR SHORTER MIDS

AND USING AN ARCHANGEL FOR PUTTING, BUT I'M STILL EXPERIMENTING, PROBABL WITH A SHARK OR WOLF. I NEVER LIKED THE RIMS ON MOST PUTTERS

If you don't like the deep rims of putters like the Aviar, Wizard, Magnet, etc...try an Innova XD. Much more shallow, but still has the same flight properties as other putters. It's a little faster than an Aviar, so it's good for approach shots too.

I just re-did my bag.

175 Champion XCaliber for sidearms and when I need to curve hard left.

175 Champion Boss for max D when the fairway is wide enough.

175 Champion Beast for max D when the fairway is not wide enough for the Boss.

175 Champion Monarch for s-turns if there's room.

168 Champion Sidewinder for turnovers, anhyzers, long range rollers, 80% power and low for tunnel shots.

150 DX Eagle for fairway drives 250'-300'.

178 DX Roc for 180'-250' approaches.

177 DX First Run Skeeter for 50'-180- approaches.

175 DX XD for putting.

i change my main discs up a lot because im relatively new to the sport and i overpowered my old drivers so i can't really post on this thread right now because next week i will have a new main driver

Nice to know that I'm not alone in maxing out at 300' or just over. 260'-280' normally. I throw RHBH unless forced to throw something else. My forehand stinks. It can go about 150' or so but it can also vary about 100' from left to right. I currently only use it if there's something in my way preventing a backhand. And I max out at about 150" with an overhead (tomahawk?). I'm just learning a thumber to get the overhead shot to turn the other way. I'll use this in trouble situations again or sometimes on really narrow opening shots between trees. I have a bunch of discs that I don't use regularly so I'll just include my "go to" bag.

Main Driver: 150 Champion Valkyrie for most long distance shots, straight or turning left at the end.

Understable Driver: 150 Champion Sidewinder for right turning or hyzer-flip drives.

Overstable Driver: 175 Champion Wraith. I believe that this disc is far more overstable than advertised. I use it for big anhyzer release shots that will turn right first due to my anhyzer release and will fade left at the end.

Fairway drivers: 150 DX Leopard for very straight, long approaches. 160ish DX Cheetah for similar shots with a little more left fade at the end.

Long approaches: 175 DX Roc for left turning approaches. 160ish DX Stingray for right turning approaches.

Mid-range and short approaches and putting: 175g DX Aviar P & A for anything 200' and in. Will hold a hyzer or anhyzer line but will fly very straight if you want it to. 175 Star Aviar P & A is my newest short disc and am liking it for approaches needing a little more left fade at the end.

Note: found a Millennium JLS a while back & just started throwing it a good bit. It really reminds me a lot of my Valkyries.

I wanted to post on this back when the thread was active but my bag was in so much flux I wasn't comfortable with what I was throwing in certain situations. Now I think I am comfortable enough to post LOL.

175 Star Max - I use this when I need a hard left turn and skip.
172 Flex Predator - I throw this when I need a hard left turn and no skip.
(I can't throw either of these very far so I don't use them if I need a lot of distance.)

169 Destroyer - Distance driver when I want a softer left turn at the end.
166 Wraith - Distance drive when I want even less fade at the end.

173 Z Avenger - Distance driver when I need a fairly straight shot. Good S-curve driver. Also my forehand disc.
170 Mirus - This used to be my go-to straight driver but it has become a little too undertsable. I still carry it anyway.

170 Flash - I throw this for distance if I want a fade to the right.
170 Inferno - I use this for a HARD right fade.

167 Lazer - I use this for tomahawk approach shots. It sits and flops instead of rolling away.
170 Optimizer - If it is not windy I use this as a touch disc, kind of like some people use the Whittler.
172 Impact - This is now my main approach disc. I even putt with it at times. Weird, I know.
175 Aviar - My primary putter.

Have not posted because my drives are pretty long and i am pretty old(43) and if you dont know me you'll think its bs but who cares,here goes.my longest drives are around 480' to 500' avg consistantly around 430' with a star destroyer that will helix out,am a rhbh.(carry 2 destroyers various ages)

over 350 the affore mentioned destroyers
350 to 330 flx surge
330 to 275 star teebirds(carry 2 also a great long anny disc)
Flx buzz to 275(fav mid range)
star roc to 275(when I need more fade,also carry a beat up dx roc)
wizard putters to 200 (carry 2)
aviar putter for less than 35'

also in the bag for various shots are
star whippet x (wind)
2 star max's (lots of shots including forehands)
star wraith(still gets use)
star beast(good for many uses)
older kc pro gazelle
star sidewinder(many uses,good roller disc)
Boss that I am building more confidence with everyday that may push its way into the starting line before long,unsure what that distance may hold varies right now.

RHBH, once could throw 300' but now average probably closer to 250'. Until a little over a year ago, all the local courses favored accuracy over distance for the most part, so my game perhaps evolved accordingly.

I really only use four or five discs every single round, the rest are situational. I've been outplayed many times by people that use two or three discs for a whole round, so I sometimes wonder why we bother with so many. I pretty much throw backhand only, though I can roll in a pinch.

The First Five

DGA Blowfly II (166) - my main putter today, but my putting stinks and this always changes. It goes where you throw it though.
Innova DX Shark (171) - approach, precision, most valuable disc. Now that I have a bit more snap in my form, though, this one goes anhyzer more than it used to, and I'm thinking of trying out a Gator.
Discraft Elite Zxpress (168) - main driver
Innova CE Orc (165) - hyzer driver, and open distance driver
Innova DX Wolf (171) - anhyzer, roller

Situational discs

Innova DX Leopard - currently without but will get one soon. For situations for when I want a similar throw to my main driver but there's some risk of losing the disc. I play in Florida a few times a year and this comes up. I also usually have a backup Eagle that I'd throw when I didn't want to risk losing the Orc, but again I recently lost mine and haven't replaced it yet. Right now a DGA Tsunami is occupying that slot in my bag, but that thing hooks way, way too much. Probably a better disc for stronger arms than mine.
Innova DX Dragon (147) - over water throws
I have an older DX Shark that I use for dangerous shots and rolling sometimes.

Backups

An old Innove Puma (they don't even make those anymore I believe) that I used to use in the same way as the Wolf but haven't thrown in quite awhile.
And two other putters that I alternately love and hate depending on the day and the wind - A DX Rhyno and an old Aviar P&A, which is the one disc that has been in my bag since I first started 7+ years ago.

Putters
dx aviar p&a (putting in windy conditions, or longer putts)
soft magnet (light to no wind, inside 50 feet)

Mids
star shark (for a little hyzer or slight headwind, 100-200 feet)
dx wolf (don't really throw much right now, understable mid)

Fairway Drivers
champ leopard (tailwind/no wind 200-300 feet)
pro whippet (headwind 200-250 feet)
champ teebird (headwind/neutral wind 200-300 feet)

Distance Drivers
champ valkyrie (tailwind/no wind 300+ feet)
champ monarch (tailwind 300+ feet)
champ wraith (no wind 300+ feet)
star max (headwind 300+ feet)
star destroyer (no wind 300+ feet)

In the bag

Alright...so I've been playing for 2 years...I throw both RHFH & RHBH, but I started FH, so that's what I'll fall back on, in most situations (though I'm getting a lot more comfortable approaching BH). Distance... I'd say 255-280ft RHFH and 325-375ft RHBH (with less accuracy). One other thing, I only like the small diameter rims for RHFH...which might limit what discs I use.

Ah the bag:

-Star & DX wraith 175 - for open RHBH shots (the dx has taken the place of the star)
-Star & Champ Teebird 171- the star TB is my favorite RHFH disc I use it all the time for long S curve shots, even got me an ace
-Star Destroyer 174 - I use this on RHBH shots, long hyzer shot, still workin on getin her to go straight
- Elite Z Wildcat 167- Lost my monarch and started to use this disc for long straight RHFH shots. It works, miss my monarch though
-DX sidewinder 175- Beat'in it up, to use as a roller? Can use it in the monarch's place as well...not "in love yet"
-Mirus Latitude 64 172- I use this disc for RHFH hyzer shots and thumbers
-Defender 170- New addition, I use it for an approach turnover disc
-KC Pro Gazelle 162 - I love this disc, I throw it both RHBH & RHFH and it does what I want. I use it for short drives or long approaches.
-Star Cro 172- Used for approach of long puts
-Putters- I started with an Aviar, but recently got a sss wizard and don't know if I can ever go back

OH yeah the other day I rescued a Discraft XS from a frozen pond...called the # on the disc and was gifted it...so we'll see what she's got.

Last edited:
Putters:
Soft Wizard - main putter
Medium Wizard - distance putter, hyzer putter, approaches, short drives
JK Pro Aviar - anhyzer putter, uphill putter, cold weather putter

Mid Range:
Midnight Buzzz - 150-250 line drive and turnover shots, sidearm approaches
CFR Roc - 100-200 hyzer drives and approaches, sidearm approaches

Drivers:
CE Pro Leopard - Any shot between 150 and 350, Mostly line drives, turnovers, slight hyzers
Pro XL - Extremely beatup disc, rollers, hyzer-flips, tailwind shots, turnovers, max d
Champion Teebird - Accurate distance, slight hyzers, sidearm approaches
Champion Orc - Primary sidearm driver, forehand rollers
Star TL - long straight drives

Lets see I'm not sure how far I can throw maybe 350 max. Like everyone else 250 is my go to consistent distance.
My bag is always changing right now there are 2 disc the a chap boss and a new star wraith i'm trying to break in but can't use for crap.

XD putter - new and love it sooo much better than my old lightning rubber putter
Pro-line Beast - great for distance shots with more fade required
DX wraith - got this when my star wraith started crapping out on my forehand shots
Star wraith - my baby, I used to be able to bomb this forehand with no turn or fade, now it kinda sucks.
Elite Z crush - I hear this isn't that good but it's my goto disc, it turns really well and I can get good distance most of the time
DX Shark - this beat up thing can work good sometimes with low wind
Dragon - only when I know it's going in the H2O

My disc's always change depending on my mood, I have a firebird and that kid can goto hell if he says he can throw it more than 50 ft. :) I really like the teebirds but my fingers are a little too big to get a good grip on them. I've heard a few people talk about rocs and classic cobras and I want to try those guys out for shorter drives.

My bag is constantly evolving and changing because I'm still developing my preferences for discs and I switch it up some for really windy days (which weve had a lot lately) as opposed to calmer days.
I primarily drive RHFH, but have been working on my RHBH, starting now only with putters and midranges so my form doesnt have to be sacrificed

Drivers-
-Star Destroyer (175)- for long S shots, slowly phasing out as the longest hole here is 351' and my distance is getting plenty better
-Champion Orc (175)- for long anhyzer shots with a small hyzer fade at the end of flight
-Star Firebird (175)- Great disc for the wind, and one that Im quickly learning to use in almost any situation
- Star Sidewinder (175)- S curve disc, with a consistent release it always pulls nearly identical turns
-Z Flick (174)- great disc for the wind and forehand drives, slowly phasing it out, as other discs are filling it's role in my bag
-ESP Avenger SS(171)- learning it to help with my RHBH
Fairway Drivers
-Champion Eagle(175)- predictable and easy disc within 325'
-Champion Teebird(175)- My absolute favorite disc, I have more teebirds on the way. I throw this off the tee 75% of the time at least.
Midrange
-Z Buzzz(174)- Very predictable straight flyer
-Champion Coyote(180)- My favorite FH approach disc, also starting to be able to bomb it RHBH off the tee
Putters
-Pro Rhyno(175)- Great disc for the wind. Drops and sticks making it also a great approach disc. Of all the putters Ive driven off the tee my most consistent.

Im currently auditioning more putters, with soft magnets, wizard, and a voodoo in the mail. Also auditioning other midranges in the comet, kite, and roc. As far as drivers my bag constantly changes, aside from my trusty fairway drivers, although Im never one to turn down an opportunity to try out any disc, and no disc is safe in my bag, other than my teebird.

Latest posts