• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

ANDROID APP IS OUT!!

Easy to export all stats from easy scorecard. Parsing the data shouldn't take long at all.

I just exported all my easy scorecard data, and I can query the database for players/courses/rounds using sqlite3.

$5 seems reasonable for the sake of supporting the site. How did you decide to go the pay up front route instead of having it be ad-supported?

It seems like you'll have the sure money upfront this way, but you'd probably have more users and a long term stream of cash if you did a free ad-supported version instead.

edit: I'm generally curious from a business standpoint. I don't claim to be an expert on the app market.

I'm not an expert either. I just never really thought about or looked into having an ad supported version. In retrospect it might not have been a terrible idea to have a constant stream of income considering how much the app relies on outside resources that cost money (namely the server).

Windows version?

Doubtful :(

timg, are you going to be looking for testers for ios version? I'd love to help, and of course plan on buying when the ios version comes out.

I'm not exactly sure how testing will work for iOS. If I need testers I'll definitely post a thread asking for people.

Quick, looks clean, and the area maps are sweet. I haven't tracked any scores on the site yet so I could see me doing it now. Much easier to use than the browser on my phone. I would like to see "Add course to Wishlist" when I'm searching for a course in the area, especially if I'm not around home.

Last edited:
Has the test version been disabled? When I try to start a new round, and select a course, and then the username it says: Failed: There was an issue communicating with http://www.dgcoursereview.com. Please try again later.

Yup, beta has ended so it no longer works. I made a post about that a while back.

Quick, looks clean, and the area maps are sweet. I haven't tracked any scores on the site yet so I could see me doing it now. Much easier to use than the browser on my phone. I would like to see "Add course to Wishlist" when I'm searching for a course in the area, especially if I'm not around home.
So like a list maintained within the app of "want to play" courses or did you actually want it added to the wishlist on the site?

Yup, beta has ended so it no longer works. I made a post about that a while back.

Thanks for clearing that up, it makes sense that I would miss the bit of important info :)

$5 seems reasonable for the sake of supporting the site. How did you decide to go the pay up front route instead of having it be ad-supported?

It seems like you'll have the sure money upfront this way, but you'd probably have more users and a long term stream of cash if you did a free ad-supported version instead.

edit: I'm generally curious from a business standpoint. I don't claim to be an expert on the app market.

This is a niche product, ad supported is not a good idea imop. I think it's right to make it a paid product, but you definitely should make the app free for installing, with a trial period and after that most of the useful features are locked until they have paid.

*Reads first page*

*Remembers how cheap disc golfers are*

Not just disc golfers, but android users. The literature makes it quite clear iOS users are generally more willing to pay for apps than android users.

*Reads first page*

*Remembers how cheap disc golfers are*

There is a difference between being cheap, and not throwing money away. Were this a nonprofit effort, scrutiny could be ignored, but since it's designed to make money, it's not immune to scrutiny. $5 is not a lot of money in general, but in terms of app purchases, it's significant. Would you spend $30 for a DX Teebird?

Does this app support gps tagging of individual baskets? Would be cool to get distance to pin approximations, especially on unfamiliar courses.

I just exported all my easy scorecard data, and I can query the database for players/courses/rounds using sqlite3.

Yeah I was going to say the same thing. The built-in Export in Easy Scorecard sucks. But the good thing is the database is a single file and it is in SQLite format. So you can take that file (for instance, via the backup it makes to dropbox or google drive), and easily grab whatever stats you want out of it, by using SQLite.

Bought, Looks sweet at first glance.

a couple little things i noticed...

you can't add sub-zero temps... the "minus" button is there when the keypad pops up to enter temps but the button doesn't allow you to enter it. the numbers are the only buttons that work on that key pad. It would be sweet to have the weather auto entered like ESC does, i think someone mentioned this already...

In the App Settings menu, under Scoring, under Player Auto Advance, it says "During scoring entry, advance to the next next player automatically" did you mean to use next twice?

I'm gonna keep playing around with it but once you get the hang of searching around to figure out how to use it it seems like it has a lot of features that are similar to the apps out there but the inclusion of searching the database of courses and having all of the features of DGCR (or most of them) is pretty nice!

GPS for tees and pins might be cool to get more accurate (or maybe in some case inaccurate) distances. If you include a feature like this how would it affect the course data entered on the site? If you allow for manipulation of hole data on the app, would it change the data on the website or just in your app?

I cannot STAND apps that are loaded down and watered down with ads. I would much rather pay the 5.00 bucks, then have to look at god awful ads everytime I want to use the app.
This x one hundred million. $5 up front is nothing to not have to deal with annoying ads.

Not just disc golfers, but android users. The literature makes it quite clear iOS users are generally more willing to pay for apps than android users.
Mostly because Android users are accustomed to having both free/ad supported/lite versions of apps and more costly premium versions. iPhone users are already conditioned to feeling special because they pay out the nose for things that iOS doesn't do as well as Android, so what's a few bucks more? (Standard disclaimer, I own both a current generation Android device and an Iphone 6. I'm not trying to start a flame war. These are just my observations based on using both platforms on a daily basis)

There is a difference between being cheap, and not throwing money away. Were this a nonprofit effort, scrutiny could be ignored, but since it's designed to make money, it's not immune to scrutiny. $5 is not a lot of money in general, but in terms of app purchases, it's significant. Would you spend $30 for a DX Teebird?
No, $5=$5. It is not a lot of money, and is not equivalent to spending $30 on a DX disc. Nor does the status of this as a for profit or not for profit venture change the value of the app. These are all lovely red herrings you're trying to throw out, but none are valid. Maybe your questions would best be directed to Tim via PM? I've noticed that Tim is very receptive to specific constructive criticism, but grumbling about price is not really constructive. The app is either worth the price or it's not.

Tim,

One question I wanted to ask but didn't want to get lost in my response above: Have you given any thought to a crown that would allow users of both iOS and Android to unlock the app? As I mentioned above, I have current generation devices on both OS's. Being able to interchange data and scores across both devices would be an absolutely HUGE selling feature for me, and I'd love the security of knowing I was covered if I ever get rid of one or the other. I know the cost of iOS development is higher than Android (another reason iOS people are forced to pay for more apps) so I don't want to suggest a specific price, but maybe a buck or two lower that purchasing separately?

Latest posts