• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Announcing Discmania Evolution and Active

So what's with the influx of made in China discs? Trying to build the sport in China, or decided that discs molded in the USA weren't already inconsistent enough?

Lower cost of production, a different production schedule, and tapping into a market that could be massive. It is kind of silly to think that just because a disc is being made in China it is going to have quality control issues

It is kind of silly to think that just because a disc is being made in China it is going to have quality control issues

I don't think it's silly at all. It is the land of Cha Bu Duo, played out in many industries over the years. They couldn't manufacture an acceptable ball-point pen ball until 2017.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing generally, I think there are plenty of economic and industrial benefits to having your products Chinese made. Just don't gloss over the QA issues.

I don't think it's silly at all. It is the land of Cha Bu Duo, played out in many industries over the years. They couldn't manufacture an acceptable ball-point pen ball until 2017.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing generally, I think there are plenty of economic and industrial benefits to having your products Chinese made. Just don't gloss over the QA issues.

I personally have purchased 7 discs from the active line and not a single one has had any issues as far as quality control goes. I am just saying don't write them off because of "known" issues with Chinese manufacturing until that issue has actually reared its heads

I personally have purchased 7 discs from the active line and not a single one has had any issues as far as quality control goes. I am just saying don't write them off because of "known" issues with Chinese manufacturing until that issue has actually reared its heads

I'm not writing them off as inconsistent discs or with QA issues, if Jussi is smart (which I have no reason to believe he isn't) he's running additional quality checks stateside ESPECIALLY for a roll out. In addition, most DG manufacturers are already inconsistent enough to set the bar pretty low for acceptability. Discs are also not a high tolerance production, so it's not dreadfully important.

I will be very interested to see one thing play out though; plastic blend from run to run. I think it could go two ways, either plastic overall is cheaper so they can get the same specific blend every run for a reasonable cost for actually higher run to run consistency than other manufacturers.
Or they run into supply chain issues since people are cutting corners and you never get the same blend run to run.

I'm mostly saying overall issues with Chinese manufacturing are still there, regardless of if they pertain to disc golf related production.

I bet a substantial savings isn't all in the cost of materials or production necessarily but in stamping/trimming. With no minimum wage and it being such tedious and repetitive work, there's likely a big margin in that one step.

Looks like the Active line with new names is out.

The former Fox Spirit is now called the Magician.

unnamed17.jpg

And, Simon Lizotte's favorite flippy fairway, the Sun Bird, is now called the Genius.

unnamed18.jpg

The putter, midrange, and distance driver also have name changes.
But, the question is, will the availability change to always in stock?

Last edited:
Why did they change the names? And why such dumb ones?

Word on the street is innova didnt appreciate the animal names.

Discmania is not good at naming discs.

I wonder if this is true.

And you're right, they are not good at naming discs.

Does anyone throw Lions or Cros?

Nope my brother has my Celesron Telesocope from 1999 and it is well made in China, the legs are a bit chintzy being heavy wood but the rest is well made. I have a knock off pair of binoculars Nikkon from my grandpa who got them in early 1990's, supposed to be Nikon model kncokoff but they are just as good as the Nikon model. I have for running got two of same brand of Desmit sport tights Medium ASICS/Adidas Knock off that work well if not better due to the inner pouch that allows me to not need sports undies and a different pair similar sport tights Tauwell that would be great standard sport tight if not super low rise made in China for Japan fashion, also got Small in that.

Also my Athetico Disc Golf Powershot backpack is made in China and it is okay, could be better but it is okay for what it does.

Last edited:
Does anyone throw Lions or Cros?

I've seen a Lion exactly one time when I found one. No name/number IIRC. I stuck it in my bag to post on the local lost disc page after the round. Half hour later and a dude rolls up asking if I found it; I had forgotten about it by then but after a couple seconds remembered that I had indeed found a Lion that round. I handed it back to him, and he gave me a weird glare. Then later in the week he posts to the lost disc page saying that some guy (me) tried stealing his disc and only begrudgingly gave it back because he confronted him (me).

So that's my long way of saying that, based on my sample size of one, Lion throwers are over-reactive jerks. Don't throw Lions.

Cro isn't bad, like a small diameter Roc with less glide. Sort of like a precursor to the Proxy flight wise just not as long ironically.

Latest posts