• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Wooden Disc I Made (Orc-like)

Yeah, I've finished padauk a few times and this problem sometimes rears its ugly head. A sealer coat is a good idea. Can polyurethane actually cure on a lacquer base coat? I was wondering about a shellac sealer as a possibility, too.

I have noticed the staining ability of the padauk dust, though I've never used it on purpose (only happens when I'm trying to finish a piece and the orange bleeds onto a different wood... ugh). Can you actually use it as a disc dye?

My previous discs were made out of honduras mahogany and walnut, and had no trouble finishing. But padauk is a beautiful wood, so it's worth it.

I'd be interested in seeing some pics of your boomerangs. I love seeing wooden items for some reason.

Compatibility is a big deal, but finishes available now give us more options. I'm a little out of the woodworking game now and honestly I can't recall what lacquer I was using at the time. I know none of it was Deft, because I hated that waxy stuff. lol. Carver-Tripp was what I ended up using and they had a fantastic water-based urethane. If I remember correctly, a dewaxed shellac is ok under lacquer, but not under traditional urethanes where they will tend to curdle instead of curing. Another neat option are soft waxes and long dry oils...low sheen and silky. A friend of mine turned me onto an old shipbuilder's finish, too, which I think was made of vinegar, pure tung, and turpentine (have to look that one up again). Plastic finishes are shiny and much more durable, of course, but with some woods a softer finish really looks better to me.

Actually I did try the padauk stain on a disc awhile back because of a thread in the dye forum. It sorta worked - a little - but I wouldn't recommend fooling with it. The color was way off and it didn't have staying power. I hoped that it might do better but I'll just keep using my stockpiles of rit. I don't have any pics of the solid wood, lapjoints, and natural elbow booms I made...all of those were given as gifts or donated as tournament prizes. I'll see if I can find some links to others' work to share with you, though - lots of great craftsmen out there. The majority of mine are made from the ultraply Finn birch plywood, phenolics, and a few plastics since I've been more of an advanced sport & competitive thrower instead of a craftsman woodworker. They're fun...great sport when it isn't windy!

Yeah, I doubt I'll ever sell more than like 3 of these, so I'm not exactly a great competitor to Innova lol. The curvature of the discs I make is sort of roughly based around the original disc, but they are all unique and can fly completely different lines.

Be careful of any copyright infringements with Innova :) I kid, that is awesome!!

Compatibility is a big deal, but finishes available now give us more options. I'm a little out of the woodworking game now and honestly I can't recall what lacquer I was using at the time. I know none of it was Deft, because I hated that waxy stuff. lol. Carver-Tripp was what I ended up using and they had a fantastic water-based urethane. If I remember correctly, a dewaxed shellac is ok under lacquer, but not under traditional urethanes where they will tend to curdle instead of curing. Another neat option are soft waxes and long dry oils...low sheen and silky. A friend of mine turned me onto an old shipbuilder's finish, too, which I think was made of vinegar, pure tung, and turpentine (have to look that one up again). Plastic finishes are shiny and much more durable, of course, but with some woods a softer finish really looks better to me.

Actually I did try the padauk stain on a disc awhile back because of a thread in the dye forum. It sorta worked - a little - but I wouldn't recommend fooling with it. The color was way off and it didn't have staying power. I hoped that it might do better but I'll just keep using my stockpiles of rit. I don't have any pics of the solid wood, lapjoints, and natural elbow booms I made...all of those were given as gifts or donated as tournament prizes. I'll see if I can find some links to others' work to share with you, though - lots of great craftsmen out there. The majority of mine are made from the ultraply Finn birch plywood, phenolics, and a few plastics since I've been more of an advanced sport & competitive thrower instead of a craftsman woodworker. They're fun...great sport when it isn't windy!

I was thinking a dewaxed amber shellac, like this pre-mixed variant, might be a good base before trying the wipe-on poly, but if it does curdle up like you say it might not be a great option. Or just straight BLO or tung oil would make the disc look good, but the strength of urethane finishes is always a plus. I've never used a lacquer... Deft is the only variant I've heard of. I prefer finishes I can wipe-on with a rag, either straight out of a can, or after thinning.

Great stuff! Step by step pics were sweet.

Thanks. I love seeing how things are made, especially when it relates to any of my hobbies. I've been thinking about making wooden bicycle frames, too, since I do a fair bit of cycling. I made a wooden computer case once, and plan on doing more in the future.

Like Zenbot said, love the play by play. AWESOME!

Awesome! were you the one that made a wooden boss awhile back? Anyway, loved the photos!

Awesome! were you the one that made a wooden boss awhile back? Anyway, loved the photos!

Yep, that was me too. It's fun making these things and seeing if they can fly. The 98 gram walnut wraith I made can actually glide ridiculous distances when there is no wind and the throw is perfect.

I made some inlayed cupholders out of paduk a few years back when living in Thailand. Love the smell of it. Reminded me of the bottle of English leather cologne I had as a lil' Aaron. Nice job. the disk looks great.

Seems like quality work - looks magnificent. The play by play helps to show how much work's involved, so I can't imagine you'd do it on the cheap.

I hope a few TD's contact you for some of these.

I made some inlayed cupholders out of paduk a few years back when living in Thailand. Love the smell of it. Reminded me of the bottle of English leather cologne I had as a lil' Aaron. Nice job. the disk looks great.

That's funny...I can almost remember that smell. I liked it, too.

I was thinking a dewaxed amber shellac, like this pre-mixed variant, might be a good base before trying the wipe-on poly, but if it does curdle up like you say it might not be a great option. Or just straight BLO or tung oil would make the disc look good, but the strength of urethane finishes is always a plus. I've never used a lacquer... Deft is the only variant I've heard of. I prefer finishes I can wipe-on with a rag, either straight out of a can, or after thinning.

This is where I'd get on some woodworking forums and see what people are finding compatible with the brands/products on the market now. Some finishes haven't changed a lot, but there is so much to choose from now and as things moved toward low solvent content, it's a different world now.

Lacquer doesn't seem to be as popular in the non-professional woodworking crowd, but you can find it. Automotive lacquers are an option, but they definitely vary a lot more in composition. It seems like Carver-Tripp and Bullseye both had real lacquers for awhile...probably still do. Deft (talking about the original "wood finish" product...think that's what they called it) is a kind of unique product - heavy on the wax and oil, but still a pretty fast drying lacquer. I really was never a fan of it for anything other than quick drying because it falls far short of other plastic finishes in every other category. The Defthane product is just a regular polyurethane, and of course they have their versions of finishes with a heavier oil content as well. I think for wiping, you're better off with slow dry finishes unless you want to take the extra step of sanding out a coat or two of a fast dry sealer that will probably leave brush/rag marks. Or, if you don't mind thick finishes, just slather on the poly over and over. lol :)

Oh....also. As far as shellac and urethane goes, it's generally a bad idea altogether. If there's a urethane on the market now that will cure properly over a shellac coat, it still may have troubles later on as moisture penetrates the poly...probably would cause clouding if not a separation between finish coats. The wax in shellac is obviously an issue, but there are fundamentals of shellac itself that are just kind of finicky. There's a reason they don't really use it much anymore except for period-correct projects.

That is nothing short of outstanding. Light wood and a dark branded stamp would be awesome too. I only wish I could afford one, without even asking about price. Are you able to make mini replicas of molds? A 3-4" diameter Voodoo would look pretty sweet hanging from my rear view mirror. Hell, make them scented by dipping them in a fragrance and we've got a pretty killer air freshener in the car, now don't we? (I get half of net profits for the idea though). :)

Yeah, the oil in padauk has a very distinctive smell, especially when heated up through friction on the lathe or other woodworking tools. I kind of like the scent, though I'm not sure how healthy it is (the smell even permeates my fancy dust respirator).