• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Another Wooden Disc I Made (Orc-like)

Seems like quality work - looks magnificent. The play by play helps to show how much work's involved, so I can't imagine you'd do it on the cheap.

I hope a few TD's contact you for some of these.

Thanks for the encouragement. A few folks have messaged me, though none have bitten on the offer yet (the price is kind of a lot to swallow when discs are normally so cheap). That's okay, though... this isn't my day job, and I prefer working on my own projects in my free time. I'm almost done making a sweet wooden tool chest with 7 drawers, an awesome wooden hinged top, and lots of dovetail joinery.

Oh....also. As far as shellac and urethane goes, it's generally a bad idea altogether. If there's a urethane on the market now that will cure properly over a shellac coat, it still may have troubles later on as moisture penetrates the poly...probably would cause clouding if not a separation between finish coats. The wax in shellac is obviously an issue, but there are fundamentals of shellac itself that are just kind of finicky. There's a reason they don't really use it much anymore except for period-correct projects.

Makes sense... I'll avoid mixing the two. I might have to learn more about finishing someday, but I have such good success with the basic wipe-on poly that I haven't taken the jump. Even if it doesn't cure right, a few wipes with mineral spirits and it's good to go. Thanks for the advice on all the finishing techniques. You seem to know quite a lot about it.