• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Any Groove or Beast Throwers?

schwadan001

I know that a lot of people out there dislike the Innova Groove, but I just wanted to see if anyone had a positive opinion of it. Lately, I have been trying out the Groove, and I like the predictability that I've been getting out of it when throwing into right-to-left winds and headwinds (I've been throwing the Groove rhbh and have been releasing it slightly anhyzer). Also, how do other distance drivers, like the Beast, compare to the Groove in windy conditions? Thanks!

I have never thrown a groove, but I've heard one of its main detractors is that the mold is inconsistent. And the groove on it is a gimmick, marketed like its for your grip but really to achieve a lower weight high speed driver.

So if it really is inconsistently molded, but you like the one you throw, DON'T LOSE IT!

Give your groove to a Chucker who only plays once a month, buy a Teebird and a leopard.

Any overstable disc will be 'reliable' in the wind. What you see as reliable, is actually just the disc fading off to early and hiding the flaws of your throw.

I love the Beast, it is all around my favorite and most controllable driver in my bag, however, I do use only old mold beasts. As far as comparing it to a groove, I don't know what to tell you, because as stated, the groove you have likely flies completely different than 80% of the grooves out there. I will say that the older Beasts will take the line you specified well, but the newer Beasts are a bit flippy.

I kinda hated Grooves(yes, -s, I had two of them) for the reason that they acted nice and (over)stable, but when thrown in decent headwind they just flipped and never came back. That and the rim.

The Firebird, Predator, Banshee, Monster, Tracker, and Crush are all pretty popular molds and do quite well fighting headwinds.

The only time I enjoyed throwing my Groove was when I chucked it out into the middle of a large and deep pond...on purpose.

If you're determined to throw Innova, I'd recommend a Wraith or Destroyer.

Got my 1st Beast this year, 164g DX that was flippy from the get go, great easy distance thrown w/ a hyzer. Got this one just to see if I liked the mold......

......and I do so I recently got a 163g Champ Beast that is becoming my favorite distance driver.
They seem to get easy distance for me, and the champ is more controllable and dependable.

Speed 9 drivers are about the limit for me, and the Beast although categorized as speed 10, feels and throws very similar to the Valkyrie and Discraft XS that I've been using.

Always helps to know, how far are you throwing your groove?

I cycle Beasts like some bigger arms cycle Destros or Wraiths. Nice flat champ that is freakishly stable, one slightly worn for long hyzers, one seasoned for tight s-curves, and beat to concave one for anny's and turnovers.

The Beast is a complicated mold IMO. You've got the new, the old, the different Barry stamps of the old, and the overlap of new and old mold with Barry stamp, along with the typical dome/flatness. My only advice is if you're throwing a new mold Beast...get a Star Beast marked S-BST on the back. As far as a headwind: only if you're looking for a sharp turnover depending on your armspeed. For the Groove: enjoy the one you've got, but don't look for a replacement or backup stock.

Groove is very inconsistent when it comes to flight characteristics & just plain ol' sucks. I highly recommend you don't throw one.