• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Any roadtrippers towing a travel trailer?

We did a van conversion. Bought used, and our kids did most of the work (which saved money). Still not inexpensive, though.

We have done a 2-week trip to Maine and Cape Cod, which went well. Two adults and two dogs. Van is great on the highway and not too bad in parking lots and whatnot. Main downside is low overheads in drive-throughs and one low bridge we had to avoid in rural Maine.

Beds are super-comfortable and the kids engineered swing-out arms for the generator and a storage box behind the back doors. We mostly stayed in friends' driveways so we haven't tested the kitchen and pop-up shower. Storage compartments under the beds for disc golf supplies and other essentials.

Sounds like a nice rig that I would enjoy... Excellent that you are putting it to use. My concern with the van idea is coupling your "home" to your vehicle. Maybe I worry too much though...

I have a squaredrop (Runaway Navigator) that I absolutely love. it's basically a full bed, plenty of shelving, electric hookup with an air conditioner. With the power strip inside I can run anything I want, like a space heater when it's cold. it's super quiet and dark inside with blackout shades, but has windows and doors on both sides as well. there is a larger storage rack on the front, and I have another storage rack for the back, which plugs into a receiver hitch (or I can plug a bike rack in there). honestly, for ease of use and quickness in getting away it's tough to beat. I tow it with a 4cyl Kia Sportage, as it weighs about 600lbs. Also, I can unhitch it and wheel it around by hand it's so damn light, which is nice for weird campsites or just avoiding backing up.

I have also owned a couple of popups in the past, and they are an affordable way to camp, but a lot more work. in crazy storms they can leak, and they're a bummer to put away wet. that said, if you want need (or want) that kind of room they're out there. I bring a cooler and ice, and cook outside when I need to. my coffee is the most important part.

Personally, a great way to have a tiny camper is to have a nice outdoor space. I have a quick set Clam screen tent, and like to hang out in there a lot until the sun goes down or campfire goes out. it's pretty much instant up, but stores in a pretty large bag (I just slide it in the squaredrop to travel.

one more thing: if you think you don't need a/c, think hard about it. nothing like being out all day discing, fishing or kayaking when it's 95F and being able to enter a nice cozy icebox for a nap or beer.

That seems pretty cool. I bet it's pricey, but can see how it might be a great value for some people. The whole van life vs trailer/camper... each has pros/cons.

Which is why I am struggling in picking a rig... So many options. and so many things to consider. I could see me in a converted van, and also having a trailer. I think I'm leaning trailer...

I have a squaredrop (Runaway Navigator) that I absolutely love. it's basically a full bed, plenty of shelving, electric hookup with an air conditioner. With the power strip inside I can run anything I want, like a space heater when it's cold. it's super quiet and dark inside with blackout shades, but has windows and doors on both sides as well. there is a larger storage rack on the front, and I have another storage rack for the back, which plugs into a receiver hitch (or I can plug a bike rack in there). honestly, for ease of use and quickness in getting away it's tough to beat. I tow it with a 4cyl Kia Sportage, as it weighs about 600lbs. Also, I can unhitch it and wheel it around by hand it's so damn light, which is nice for weird campsites or just avoiding backing up.

I have also owned a couple of popups in the past, and they are an affordable way to camp, but a lot more work. in crazy storms they can leak, and they're a bummer to put away wet. that said, if you want need (or want) that kind of room they're out there. I bring a cooler and ice, and cook outside when I need to. my coffee is the most important part.

Personally, a great way to have a tiny camper is to have a nice outdoor space. I have a quick set Clam screen tent, and like to hang out in there a lot until the sun goes down or campfire goes out. it's pretty much instant up, but stores in a pretty large bag (I just slide it in the squaredrop to travel.

one more thing: if you think you don't need a/c, think hard about it. nothing like being out all day discing, fishing or kayaking when it's 95F and being able to enter a nice cozy icebox for a nap or beer.

Great feedback, thanks. Does your galley door open upwards or sideways? Can't tell from the website after a quick search. I'm pretty sure I want an upwards hatch. Also Clam tent is a good call. I have seen them on vids and looks like a good option. Also I agree on AC. the sun keeps getting hotter over the years...

GREAT feedback here.

One key is how many people are involved. One person can adapt. If it is multiple people (spouse, kids) the complications are exponential.

What's ok for weekend versus a week or more?

Hot and cold are serious issues.

Flexibility if the campers is important as well. People that "roll with the punches" or see the light at the end don't become as negative when (and they will) things go sideways.

Several mentions of the setup time/effort. This is usually the trade off for keeping costs low.

Want more convenience? Spend more money.

Have more people? You will want more convenience.

Pricing on the Navigator according to the website looks like a winner. Thanks for the info. Didn't come up in my searching but might be a winner depending on that rear hatch option...

I like your build out, different than the majority who put the bed in the back. I would definitely enjoy traveling in a rig such as yours... Can you describe your solar system? I need to do more research on electrical systems...

I have 200 watts of roof solar panels & 200 amp hours of lithium batteries.. This will keep my batteries at 100% in summer camping in clear weather with no furnace or air conditioning use. Mostly it's just to keep batteries charged when not using van so I don't have to connect to house current.

Great feedback, thanks. Does your galley door open upwards or sideways? Can't tell from the website after a quick search. I'm pretty sure I want an upwards hatch. Also Clam tent is a good call. I have seen them on vids and looks like a good option. Also I agree on AC. the sun keeps getting hotter over the years...

no galley! this is a basic, non kitchen model. I store my stuff in totes and cook outside. the Navigator is no longer made but they have another name for the same one.

One thing that is nice and can influence your decision. You have been using a tent; which means you've been cooking, showering, and using the toilet outside of your living space. So with a pop-up, van, teardrop, etc...you won't be doing much different - except you won't have the put-up/take-down (well okay, with a pop-up you will) and while not totally secure you will have a locking door. ((BTW: I suggest getting the lock replaced. RVs have a limited number of lock/key combinations)).

Also, look on YouTube, there are some pro/touring disc golfers that show and tell about their RVs (vans and driving RVs).

Latest posts