• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[DGA] Anybody throw a Rogue?

mcnal1sp

Just wondering what your impressions of the Rogue were. I'm experimenting with some different drivers

I've never thrown one but from what I've heard it's a Surge SS in ESP plastic. If this is the case I may just need to pick one up

I have one but I never use it regularly but I have thrown it in the field. Reminds me of an orc or an older run flash. In either case, I do no like it.

It's a very good driver when I'm feeling strong. Most of the time, i don't have the arm for it. Sometimes, I do... and when I do... I like the Rouge a lot. It's almost like a Surge SS, just a little easier to turn over.

The Rouge has been a casualty of my successful discing down project, but I'm keeping it for days that I'm feeling frisky.

i have a first flight rogue, im willing to get rid of

It's a lot like a Surge SS, or between an Orc and a Beast.

Crazy good distance when thrown right, but if you slip up on the release it will go a mile of to the right. (RHBH)

I got one recently, haven't played with it enough to make a judgment. Seems similar to my SB Orc, flight is a bit different, but haven't thrown it enough to be sure how.

The hell of it is I have a number of drives right in that speed/distance range that I need to choose from....its making my life difficult.

It's a very good driver when I'm feeling strong. Most of the time, i don't have the arm for it. Sometimes, I do... and when I do... I like the Rouge a lot. It's almost like a Surge SS, just a little easier to turn over.

The Rouge has been a casualty of my successful discing down project, but I'm keeping it for days that I'm feeling frisky.

My situation exactly. If everything comes together right, it feels really good, but I'm waaay inconsistent. It doesn't help that it's a clear SP (sparkle) line run, so when it does inevitably end up out in the rough, it takes 20 minutes to go find it. :wall:

If you like the Surge SS or even the Vision, you'll love the Rogue. In my opinion, DGA has the highest quality plastic...can't recall if it's the S or P line which is the higher grade, but whichever it is, I prefer it to star or ESP. DGA and Discmannia have both been getting a lot of my business lately.

Rogue Comparison's

I throw the surgeSS Z which is literally the same disc. I like it, because the disc design is already VERY glidy and fairly fast....but because of the Z plastic, I am able to put more force into this disc which is always a better feeling....one of the longest discs I have thrown(shallow anhyzer with tons of snap) and most precise....and I did use to throw a rogue.

The ESP rogue is more overstable than the sparkle rogue...but I know people that swear by the crystal rogue because it is so workable.

Look for domie ness on these discs, as they mean a difference in stability...the more domie, the more stable. I prefer a medium dome, which is slightly more than flat.

ZSurgeSS-most
Rogue Esp-medium
Rogue sparkle-least

ESP SurgeSS FLX-wind version of these discs...not so glidy and is fairly stable.

I also have to say that I don't understand the comparrisons to the Orc at all. In my experience, the Orc's are much more overstable than the Rogue....personally, I've owned and thrown most discs made and I don't think Innova has anything remotely close to the Surge SS/Rogue.

I throw the surgeSS Z which is literally the same disc. I like it, because the disc design is already VERY glidy and fairly fast....but because of the Z plastic, I am able to put more force into this disc which is always a better feeling....one of the longest discs I have thrown(shallow anhyzer with tons of snap) and most precise....and I did use to throw a rogue.

The ESP rogue is more overstable than the sparkle rogue...but I know people that swear by the crystal rogue because it is so workable.

Look for domie ness on these discs, as they mean a difference in stability...the more domie, the more stable. I prefer a medium dome, which is slightly more than flat.

ZSurgeSS-most
Rogue Esp-medium
Rogue sparkle-least

ESP SurgeSS FLX-wind version of these discs...not so glidy and is fairly stable.

Good call Nate, I didn't even consider plastic types, although I find that my Z and FLX ESP Surge SS's act pretty much the same and I've only thrown the P line Rogue so can't comment on the differences between that and sparkle...

After further thought, I would actually say thet the Wraith is the closest thing Innova makes that flies like a Rogue/Surge SS. Oh, and I found out that the Rogue and Surge SS actually are the exact same disc as discraft molds the discs for DGA with their machines and molds and then puts a different name on them. So Surge SS and the Rogue are the exact same disc

After further thought, I would actually say thet the Wraith is the closest thing Innova makes that flies like a Rogue/Surge SS. Oh, and I found out that the Rogue and Surge SS actually are the exact same disc as discraft molds the discs for DGA with their machines and molds and then puts a different name on them. So Surge SS and the Rogue are the exact same disc

Actually, as per the PDGA approved disc list, they're not the exact same thing. The Rogue has a 2.2cm rim thickness vs. 2.1 on the Surge SS, and has a height of 1.7cm vs. 1.6 on the Surge SS. They're damned similar, but not the exact same thing. I think I've read somewhere that the Rogue is about in the middle of the Surge and the Surge SS in terms of flight. I don't have enough experience to make that statement, but I remember reading it somewhere on here.

I was guessing the SL...kind of like the tracker to the TL......but haven't thrown the SL in a minute....I always remember it being a good side arm disc, but that was year one....now I wish I could throw a side arm like I use to.:thmbup:

Actually, as per the PDGA approved disc list, they're not the exact same thing. The Rogue has a 2.2cm rim thickness vs. 2.1 on the Surge SS, and has a height of 1.7cm vs. 1.6 on the Surge SS. They're damned similar, but not the exact same thing. I think I've read somewhere that the Rogue is about in the middle of the Surge and the Surge SS in terms of flight. I don't have enough experience to make that statement, but I remember reading it somewhere on here.

I thought I heard that once too, but was told by the owner of my disc store, who has been to all of the innova, discraft, and vibram factories, etc that they actually do use the exact same mold. PDGA list is probably inaccurate or else there is a certain amount of tolerable range for those measurements to fit within and the numbers were simply rounded to make it appear as if they are not the exact same disc and that there is enough general variance in the manufacturing process to justify this.

I could be wrong...but I swear the rogue has a wider diameter than the surgeSS...but good to know about the rim....maybe that is why I feel there is more glide in the ZSurgeSS

I'm guessing the relative differential between the Surge SS and the Rogue would be the same as if you laid 2 Surge SS's or 2 Rogues side by side. Considering the variation in the various Rocs out there, the PDGA standards can't be that tight.
Verdict - same disc:)
(I'm secretly hoping there's a discraft employee lurking who can prove me right or wrong)

Latest posts