• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone else not like the roc?

I really really want to like the Roc...I love the concept of cycling because they're cheap (dx ones) and the DX plastic is money. I really like Roc3s, but they're too inconsistent for me.

Mcpro roc3s are very consistent, if you like base plastic rocs I would suggest buying a stack next time they are on the shop.

Rancho Rocs were flat...

Not many ranchos were flat, they were all over the spectrum of domeyness. There were runs here and there that were but really if you wanted a flat roc before the days of roc3's you really had to get ching rocs and after chings you had to get marshall street flat tops.

This thread is funny. Like the Roc needs more wuv, lol. I've never bagged a Roc in 9 years of disc golf simply cuz I do not like domey mids, and won't throw them. I have seen some very flat champ Roc3's though, and probably should have grabbed one and given it a try.

I only throw factory, flat-topped KC pros and I've yet to get one that didn't fly identical to all the rest when new. It has convinced me that one of the largest determinants of flight variation b/t same mold/plastic/weight discs is dome... be it the effect on PLH or other more difficult to determine attributes.

I dont mind rocs but some people who throw them are way too hard up on a bird stamped midrange.

Innova has slutted up the name pretty bad too at this point. Even the "real roc" throwers are salty.

Not many ranchos were flat, they were all over the spectrum of domeyness. There were runs here and there that were but really if you wanted a flat roc before the days of roc3's you really had to get ching rocs and after chings you had to get marshall street flat tops.

My bottom stamped DX Rancho was quite flat. It was the stamp that had this lame dude.
Roc6.JPG

I gave my guy an afro and turned his disc into paraphernalia hahahahaha.

My bottom stamped DX Rancho was quite flat. It was the stamp that had this lame dude.
Roc6.JPG

I gave my guy an afro and turned his disc into paraphernalia hahahahaha.

I have a couple of the same bottom stamps one is sorta flat the other is typical mild dome roc. Before the days of roc3 if you wanted a roc that was board flat you had to get chings or marshall street flat tops.

When I say flat I mean board flat like a good z buzzz flat not just flat for the mold.

I could ditch the 2, flat topped KC pros in my bag for 2, old run esp wasps I have in 9/10 & 6.5/10 condition but I can't replace the wasps if lost. Does anyone know if any of the new esp runs came out relatively flat?

Last edited:
I could ditch the 2, flat topped KC pros in my bag for 2, old run esp wasps I have in 9/10 & 6.5/10 condition but I can't replace the wasps if lost. Does anyone know if any of the new esp runs came out relatively flat?

Yep, the 2015 ledgestone ones came in flat like a good Wasp.

I have a couple of the same bottom stamps one is sorta flat the other is typical mild dome roc. Before the days of roc3 if you wanted a roc that was board flat you had to get chings or marshall street flat tops.

When I say flat I mean board flat like a good z buzzz flat not just flat for the mold.

Ranchos are the flattest of the Roc molds, though. I believe the hierarchy of dome goes Rancho>San Marino>Ontario. This hierarchy holds true for overstability as well. Ontarios are widely regarded as "the disc that ruined the Roc name" I believe as well. for all of those guys saying Ching Roc, that is still considered a Rancho hahahaha.

I used to have a DX Roc and later a Glow DX Roc when I was first getting into disc golf (still learning how to throw). I kind of went back and forth with the Roc because I was always messing around with my grip. They never felt comfortable in the hand for me although I could get some nice flights out of them occasionally. I ended up losing both of them pretty early on and replacing them with Buzzzes. Since then, I went to using a fan grip for all mids and putters and my form has greatly improved. I've never thrown a Roc with a fan grip, so maybe they're more comfortable to throw that way?

Ranchos are the flattest of the Roc molds, though. I believe the hierarchy of dome goes Rancho>San Marino>Ontario. This hierarchy holds true for overstability as well. Ontarios are widely regarded as "the disc that ruined the Roc name" I believe as well. for all of those guys saying Ching Roc, that is still considered a Rancho hahahaha.

The problem with your original comment is not all ranchos are flat. The dome on ranchos is all over the place and the majority of ranchos are semi domey. So instead of letting someone read your comment and buy a rancho hoping for it to be flat I figured I should put the truth out there most ranchos are NOT FLAT.

FWIW I have an Ontario and two Ranchos in the bag right now. The Ontario is the flattest of the three.

Panther = awesome. :thmbup:

Just out of curiosity, did you ever try the Shark or Shark3 as a beadless replacement for the Roc?

I did pick up a Shark3 to try. It didn't work for the slot I was trying to fill. (Straight, not turn, with a strong forward fade. MD3 fits that for me.)

This post got so out of hand. Lol. But i just dont like how a roc and shark fit in my hand. I grew up throwing leopards and still love them. Just finding them harder to throw consistently with the same form and arm speed. Ive found that my monarch is more consistent but lower speeds dont hold the line i want. So i still throw the leo, just not happy about it. My starfire replaces my teebird but the same speed problem is there. Less control but i can put the starfire where i want. I think its rim size thats the difference because i can throw a dragon the same as a leo and banshee for hook shots my teebird would do,well. Dragon is only in dx :'( so still trying to find a replacement

You might want to be careful thinking that those higher speed discs are easier to throw consistently. While they should be by their nature, they also mask form flaws. The only reason I'm even mentioning this is you saying that you can throw a Monarch but the Leopard isn't consistent anymore. If that is the case, and you keep ingraining those flaws into your form, they'll be harder to correct the longer you keep throwing with the discs that mask them.