• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone else not like the roc?

Hammer1248

Im all aboard the innova hype train. But for some reason i hate the roc. It just doesnt suit me. It feels weird and doesnt fly right for me. I love the gator and mako though. And i feel like the teebird is overrated as well but thats different. Innova drivers and putters are fantastic but it seems to me the mids and fairways fall short of the competition. Anyone else or just me?

The Roc does not feel good in the hand. But it's a great flyer.

Im all aboard the innova hype train. But for some reason i hate the roc. It just doesnt suit me. It feels weird and doesnt fly right for me. I love the gator and mako though. And i feel like the teebird is overrated as well but thats different. Innova drivers and putters are fantastic but it seems to me the mids and fairways fall short of the competition. Anyone else or just me?

To me, the Roc is just neutral-enough as to get unpredictable as it wears in. Depending on wear and very slight differences in wind conditions, it will either turn over slightly (and hold the turn), or not. I ditched my Rocs for the combination of Hornets (essentially guaranteed not to turn over) and Buzzz's (essentially guaranteed to flip and turn slightly).

I also have a love-hate relationship with Teebirds. They're excellent, versatile discs, but they also reflect form flaws and can be a little unforgiving. I also bag Leopards and Firebirds, and really love both of those.

Liking the Roc is what the New York liberal media wants you to do. Way to rebel, man.

I love firebirds and banshees ! New leopards too. As a leopard gets beat in though it seems to flip over a bit too easy for me so i get champ plastic.

Discs feel different for different people. You might be a Buzz guy for mid-ranges....sort of an Elvis vs. Beatles thing. However, saying you don't like the Roc but love the Gator and Mako is like saying you don't like pasta but love pizza and marinara sauce. None of those are mutually exclusive....it's all about taste.

Go with what you know and throw what feels good. If I had one disc to throw for the rest of my disc golf life it would be a DX Roc, but that's me....do you, brother. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter what company you prefer, what molds your throw, or what anybody else thinks; it's only about what's best for your game.

I hated Rocs until I kinda sorta figured out how to shape lines and use diverse flight patterns to my advantage.

I do love the Mako, though.

I'm a Buzzz and Beatles fan. Rocs and Elvis are alright, but a little overrated if you ask me

The Roc does not feel good in the hand. But it's a great flyer.

This. I use the Roc3 instead of the Roc, but it's the same: I don't like the feel of the rim, but I endure it because the disc flies well and accurately.

Don't like Rocs. In fact, I don't throw anything with a bead anymore, except Comets.
Not the Rocs' fault, just all about preference and confidence.
I tend to like shallow discs.
Love me some Mako and Mako3's.

Discs feel different for different people. You might be a Buzz guy for mid-ranges....sort of an Elvis vs. Beatles thing. However, saying you don't like the Roc but love the Gator and Mako is like saying you don't like pasta but love pizza and marinara sauce. None of those are mutually exclusive....it's all about taste.

Go with what you know and throw what feels good. If I had one disc to throw for the rest of my disc golf life it would be a DX Roc, but that's me....do you, brother. In the final analysis, it doesn't matter what company you prefer, what molds your throw, or what anybody else thinks; it's only about what's best for your game.

Nemmers, you NAILED IT. That's the good thing about having different companies that have different plastics and molds of discs. Most of us aren't pro's, so we can mix and match whatever disc(s) that we prefer to throw.

I use an SL/Wraith combo for my distance shots. That's all my arm can muster. Can't throw anything over speed 11 currently. I have tried the Buzzz and still prefer the Roc because for me, it finishes. I have tried Trilogy discs and have an Innova equivalent for all of them. At some point, I will try other brands and other discs but until I do, I will continue to throw Innova/Discmania discs because their discs are predictable and they do basically what I want them to do. And because I can get Factory Seconds/X-Out's at a nice price, I don't think I'll be changing any time soon

To each their own. Whatever you throw, you throw because it does what you want it to do and it just feels good in your hands. That's all that's important and that you enjoy each round to the fullest.

I hated the roc at first, I didn't like the buzzz, I just used Roc3's and comets.

but eventually I got sick of how variable roc3's were... champ roc3's can be OS/Stable/US and be shaped exactly the same, glow/metalflake/star gStar roc3's could be board flat and OS, and board flat and US, domey and OS, Domey and US... some McPro roc3's are more OS than champ roc3, some mcpro roc3's are flippy brand new..it was a crap shoot.

I tried the mako/mako3 and loved the way it flew, but also hated the way that since it didn't have a bead oftentimes its edge was sharp and harsh on the hands when throwing. Also whats the point of throwing a mako if you already throw comets? the mako doesn't have as good as a flight compared to a properly thrown comet.

so on a whim I gave rancho rocs another try (this time KC Pro rocs) and damn I loved how they were consistently OS when new, and beat in OS-stable-US predictably as well. Its what I wanted the roc3 to be.... I'm glad I tried it out again.

A yellow bottom stamped 180g DX Rancho Roc was my first midrange. I love the mold, but hate the fact that I can't buy one in Champion. Z Wasp is my choice for that slot nowadays.

While I bag a Roc3, there are no Rocs in my bag. I can drive an Envy as far and with better control, or throw a Comet and shape better lines; buts that's just me.

Not a fan of Rocs myself. I use Meteors, Buzzz'z and Hornets for mid duties. Also not a fan of T-birds and leopards. I like Valk's though.

Well that sounds a lot like me.
Don't like Rocs, no matter how much I've tried. A lot of really nice throws, but even more disastrous ones.
Mako3's work just fine, thank you.
Not a fan of TeeBirds, I use PD's (and no, they are not the same thing).
Not a fan of Leopards, just don't use them.

It's not about you not liking Rocs it's the Rocs not liking you and your Teebird comment, them be fighting words boy. hehe :p

Really though, Teebirds still rule the world and Rocs are excellent even if I don't throw em anymore. In fact since I developed my FH game I might have to go back to the Verdict/Truth combo. That shallower feel works better then the Ships slight dome.

When I started i tried both the roc and the buzzz. Prefered the buzzz.

Some of the newer Roc3s feel great and fly good, but why would i change now? Still got dozends of backup discs piled up at home. I'll reconsider once i used them all up.