• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone else sick of noob bashing!

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
It seems to be about as popular as the buzzz and discing down threads....I don't really get it. I'm pretty sure we were all noobs. I think what used to be the draw of the sport...fun and good people...is people jeopardized. I see it on the courses and online. Anyone else sick of noob bashing?

most of us received bashing when we were noobs, so now we are warped into giving it out to current noobs.

i think what most of us dislike isn't the fact that they are new to the sport, but to truly deserve the label of "noob" you have to suck, be new to the sport, AND do the annoying shjt like littering, shouting for no good reason, going slow without offering a play-through, playing a full round with only a groove, etc.

<----- but when one throws back at the teepad from 50 feet away with a driver throwing it as hard as they can and it hits you leaving you bruised.... ya kinda get mad

I think there is a line between noob bashing and commentary that may on the surface appear to be noob bashing but is really a backhanded attempt at constructive criticism. Either way its an online forum, who really takes anything on here seriously at all? Wait, its the internet, everyone takes everything way to seriously.

most of us received bashing when we were noobs, so now we are warped into giving it out to current noobs.
And I'd suspect the current crop of noobs will take their licks and pay it forward to the next bunch.

To everything, turn, turn, turn.

It's funny ...maybe I was brought into the game by a bunch of smelly hippies but I never got ridiculed when I was learning the sport....thats what got me hooked...the good people and the positive experience....Maybe I am the only one who believes in paying the good forward. Glad I'm not from wherever you people are from.

I've been called a noob and a Little kid, but the look on their faces after the first drive is priceless.

So are you talking about out in the real world or on these forums? I can't imagine that anyone is bashing new players in the real world, that would be absurd.

actually Ive seen it nasty in the real world...so stupid...reminds of those malibu surfer stories of yesteryear where locals chase out anyone who dares ride their waves

I've never really experienced any noob bashing in real life, even when I was super duper nooby. I'd have people maybe roll their eyes at the suckfest I was throwing when I started, but they'd never be rude. More often than not, people have always been more than willing to offer advice if asked, offer encouragement, and at the very worst just leave me be.

I've never really experienced any noob bashing in real life, even when I was super duper nooby. I'd have people maybe roll their eyes at the suckfest I was throwing when I started, but they'd never be rude. More often than not, people have always been more than willing to offer advice if asked, offer encouragement, and at the very worst just leave me be.

same here...but lately I am witnessing a bit more of this behavior from others....we need more courses of various skill levels

IRL I prefer noobs to posers any day. There is something refreshing about people that don't line up their puts for 3 minutes, decide they need their slightly more beat in wizard out of their stack of 10, and then line up for another 3 minutes before hitting the cage and being pissed. Noobs don't feel the need to bring two drivers to the pad knowing full well which one they will throw, and noobs don't feel the need to carry 22 discs when they will only throw 3 in a round. That being said, a pack of 5+ disc golfers of any ilk are annoying, especially if they are litterbugs.

IRL I prefer noobs to posers any day. There is something refreshing about people that don't line up their puts for 3 minutes, decide they need their slightly more beat in wizard out of their stack of 10, and then line up for another 3 minutes before hitting the cage and being pissed. Noobs don't feel the need to bring two drivers to the pad knowing full well which one they will throw, and noobs don't feel the need to carry 22 discs when they will only throw 3 in a round.

^This.

i guess since i got in "on the ground floor", so to speak, there was no one to bash me then. it wasn't til recently that i was mocked for using a Frisbee to drive with on a course designed in '81 whose longest hole is 280' and probably averages less than 200'.
and yes, i outdrove him and his wide-rim driver with a whamo-165g.

As a noob, honestly I have not seen bashing in the real world, but have seen it on this site. My take on it is you were all new at one time, and wether you like it or not I really enjoy this sport and I'm here to stay. Optidisc thanks for your support I'm coming up to your area next week for the "once around" tournament and I am very impressed with the community up there, very supportive.

i guess since i got in "on the ground floor", so to speak, there was no one to bash me then. it wasn't til recently that i was mocked for using a Frisbee to drive with on a course designed in '81 whose longest hole is 280' and probably averages less than 200'.
and yes, i outdrove him and his wide-rim driver with a whamo-165g.

haha I played with a frisbee when I began too.....people were begging me to try their drivers etc and me and my brothers just laughed and threw our lids....it was more fun!

I the last two days I have played through some wonderful noobs at Bassett creek. I was out there only to practice, throwing multiple shots every time but also making sure that I was not holding up any groups. If they caught up with me, I would stop and let them play through. I was only driving, no approaching and no putting, which sped things up and often I was still catching up to ther groups.

Normally when they say i can play through I always warn them what I am doing and tell them I would rather wait than slow them down. If they give me the green light anyway, I always give the most polite thank you.

In the last two days the response from these groups have been how they would love to let me play through so they can watch me drive multiple times, hoping to get some pointers. It is a great feeling helping newer players who are serious about getting better so they no longer appear like noobs.

That is just plain awesome RUSSELL. I would have loved to have seen that. Just imagine how bad you could have schooled him with a #2 midnight flyer!

I remember playing as a noob and being able to watch the true originators of this sport play. If you can take a freestyle disc and make it stick in a cone hole from 100' you have earned my respect. People now days have this awe over the touring pros, but they don't do anything for me. It was the old guys that drove 280' and were putting from anywhere within 150'. That is really the difference between the old and new school. It may be cool to be able to throw 600', but it is flat out amazing the short games people developed when "wooded fairway" meant the woods, not two trees.

Latest posts