• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone try to make a flippy, flat top disc into a stable/overstadle domey disc?

demon102

Birdie Member
Not sure if this is the right place but....

I'm literally trying this right now and am wondering if any of you disc wizards know how to do this. I keep hearing domey is more over stable them flat tops. Well I have this DX Shark that was a sick disc in it's time and was thinking of trying to stretch a dome into it. Right now I have it over a cookie jar, I guess you could call it, perfect size where a weight in the middle will make it stretch out over some time to make it more domey.

Will it work? I have no clue but gravity is a bitch and I can see it keeping it's new strectched shape at least for a little while. Anyway it's a fun lil science experiment! Would love to hear what others have done to rehab their fave disc that turned to flippy. I could hyzer flip it but it's so flippy that I'd have to make it damn near perpendicular to the ground to flip it right and yet it flies great with like a 2 speed on it flying flat.

What you say DGCR?

PS. I tried to just donate this disc to a course for some other player but it doesn't wanna lol, it wants it's rehab and time to shine!!

Last edited:
Just because a disc is domey doesn't mean it will be stable, for example a flat top firebird is more stable than a domey one, but a domey pop-top destroyer may be more stable than a flat destroyer. I don't think doing this will make it not flippy since it is already broken in. This may just turn it into a turd.

As a general rule of thumb, in slower discs (below speed 10) domey=understable. Somewhere around speed 10, domey=more overstable. A domey Shark following that general rule would be flippier than a flat Shark. I don't throw Sharks, but domey Rocs are teh suXXsors.

come on guys more dome means more air under the disc. which means more glide. it could be more os it could be less. lay the dam thing on a bowl pour some hot water inside it let it sit for a day. way la and you might have improved the mold or really screwed it up into a "turd" as said by one post.

come on guys more dome means more air under the disc. which means more glide. it could be more os it could be less. lay the dam thing on a bowl pour some hot water inside it let it sit for a day. way la and you might have improved the mold or really screwed it up into a "turd" as said by one post.

More air under the disc doesn't give it more glide. Having a domey disc means the air travels faster over the top, creating lower pressure and more lift. Like an airplane wing.

you can add dome and then take it away if you want.

to add: find a large bowl place ice and a little water in the bottom of the bowl about 3/4 inches worth. now place the disc upside down on the bowls wall. fill disc with boiling water and let it cool. this will pull the top of the disc down creating some dome.

take it away: place disc on flat surface and fill with boiling water. place something heave on top. i use a huge pot then fill the pot up with water and let sit til cool. the dome should be gone or mostly gone. this is very tricky as suction can cause puddle tops.

Not sure if this is the right place but....
I'm literally trying this right now and am wondering if any of you disc wizards know how to do this. I keep hearing domey is more over stable them flat tops. Well I have this DX Shark that was a sick disc in it's time and was thinking of trying to stretch a dome into it. Right now I have it over a cookie jar, I guess you could call it, perfect size where a weight in the middle will make it stretch out over some time to make it more domey
What you say DGCR?

Back to the OP's original questions, and replying with some of my own:. Are you using the hot water treatment to put dome in your disc? Is your goal to significantly change the flight characteristics?

Midranges which are flat but designed to have some dome can have the wing pulled up to be made more stable. The method I used on an Opto Fuse which I've been doing for years on discs BTW is to take a pot just barely larger the the disc itself. Put a little water in and heat to boiling. Place the disc top down on the boiling pot of water and shut off the heat. What you need is the air pressure to suck the dome down, so a tight seal around the edge is needed (If it's warped you may not be able to modify). Now you need to experiment with- How much to stretch (How long to leave it on the pot) and how fast to cool with possibly just air cooling or trying to water cool which would keep more dome. Every disc is different but the caution is going too far and wrecking it. Once you stretch a Dome too much it is very hard to contract it or shrink it back down (take it slow and don't over-do it right away). Especially Champ.

Also you will see that Domes can even gradually contract over some time, Even though you cooled it, it may take a day or two, or just reheating and it could shrink back up (reheating from being outside in the bag or trunk/car. Etc. So be aware that may happen as well.

Plastic has a physical property termed creep. So loading the perimeter while supporting the center add time and moderate warming and you can refreshing the glide. Especially on DX. I built a fixture to do this.

I've added dome only to high speed drivers. It makes them less stable as it pulls the wing down. If it is too understable you can tune it to more stable/overstable which also helps the dome stay put. It seems to work best with Star, GL, type plastic. I have ruined a few and made some magical. My greatest successes have been with my glideless MVP drivers. Who needs a water hole disc with no glide, right? Champion type plastic tends to return to its original shape pretty quickly.

Back to the OP's original questions, and replying with some of my own:. Are you using the hot water treatment to put dome in your disc? Is your goal to significantly change the flight characteristics?

Nope just using cookie jar, put disc upside down on top and put weight in the middle with it centered, it's put a nice dome into it so I'm gonna test it today hopefully if I can get the GF to go play DG with me. I rested it there a day and a half and there is a nice difference in the domeynes of it.

I'm not to worried whether or not it will actually work as I have discs already replacing this one but it just holds a special place cuz it was the first mid I get really sick with and made some sick shots like putting in the basket from 100-150 ft away not really sure exactly but at the time it might as well been an Ace. :D Also just yet another science project for me, so not to worried about results but results is what I'm trying to get.

Last edited:
I've added some dome to a glow tern and it was definitely more OS. Did the hot water trick. It eventually losses some of the dome.

Nope just using cookie jar, put disc upside down on top and put weight in the middle with it centered, it's put a nice dome into it so I'm gonna test it today hopefully if I can get the GF to go play DG with me. I rested it there a day and a half and there is a nice difference in the domeynes of it.
I'm not to worried whether or not it will actually work as I have discs already replacing this one but it just holds a special place cuz it was the first mid I get really sick with and made some sick shots like putting in the basket from 100-150 ft away not really sure exactly but at the time it might as well been an Ace. :D Also just yet another science project for me, so not to worried about results but results is what I'm trying to get.

Cool beans. When I was trying to tune my FAF overstable Star Valkyrie with the hot water treatment, I found that over time the treatment would wear off and the plastic would return to (or near) old form.

One of the more successful uses of the treatment is to return a warped disc that was in a hot garage, etc., to its original form.