• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

anyone use 150 weight discs?

compn

Birdie Member
i played with 150's for 4-5 years and was able to out throw my buddies and control it fairly well. wind was no problem. all forehand throws to the left which would eventually flip to the right.

now a pro got me hooked on a 175 discraft pulse, which i can get a few extra feet with. forehand throw to the right which flips to the left, or a nice right arc if i spin it hard enough.

is there anyone else that can handle a 150 for drives? or is it as useful as a paper plate?

never got into tomahawk or backhand throws with it. always seemed to float on the wind longer than heavier discs. it was also pretty useful for rolling, out rolling my throws by 50+ ft on multiple occasions.

er, that should be backhand. damn throw names confuse me :)

I just picked up a 150g Discraft Impact this summer, and I am starting to really like it. I throw backhand, and also look for straight-shooter discs for the most part. I don't think I have the arm to get the proper spin on the pro/extra-long range drivers to keep them flying the way I want them.

The Impact has added a good 20-30 feet of float on the end of my drives. That said, I also picked up a 165g Discraft Stratus, and I have been getting some good distance on that thing as well.

Up until this summer I was driving with my 170g Discraft Comet, which did me well until I snagged the Impact. Comet now relegated to approach/mid-range as it was designed for. The Comet is still a great disc.

Most of my drivers are 150 class. It's the weight that I started on and just prefer them in general to heavier discs, plus they fly farther in theory. I do have a tendency if I'm not careful to turnover slower and stable-understable discs and have them not come back, that's the flip-side of throwing lite plastic I guess.

I use lighter drivers. Every driver in my bag is under 170g, and a few are 150 or less. Lighter drivers are easier for me to control, so my placement is better. They also go into their turn a bit later than heavier discs, making them fly a little further. The lighter discs are easier to flip, which is good when you need them to flip and not so good when you are throwing into a headwind. When it gets really windy they are basically useless. So they have their up sides and down sides.

I have some 150 ROCs. Great for beginners. I find them great for short chips.

I recently picked up a 150 DX Leopard for rolling. I can throw it low with a bit of hyzer and watch it flatten out and then land on the other edge for a nice long roller.

I recently picked up a 150 DX Leopard for rolling. I can throw it low with a bit of hyzer and watch it flatten out and then land on the other edge for a nice long roller.

I've never been a fan of intentional rollers... it always feels like cheating to me. I can understand the need for them, say there's heavy tree coverage. However, I've seen guys throw them on every hole and that just doesn't seem right.

I completely agree...

I've never been a fan of intentional rollers... it always feels like cheating to me. I can understand the need for them, say there's heavy tree coverage. However, I've seen guys throw them on every hole and that just doesn't seem right.

ROLLERS SUCK!

i feel the same way dude. I think that it is cheating as well. If you aren't strong enough to throw a backhand or a forehand than don't play this sport. It should only be used when it is needed. I completely agree....

ROLLERS SUCK!

im glad someone said it. im proud to say ive never intentionally thrown a "roller" on a disc golf course. what makes this sport so enjoyable for me is watching a forehand with a perfect S-curve speed through a fairway cut into the trees, or a backhand that you know came out just right slice through the air and land 10 feet from the basket in about 5-10 seconds. the excitement of the sport dwindles dramatically when watching a disc roll on the ground skip over a root, nearly miss a stump, skip over another root, pick up "speed" as it rolls down a hill, then circles around itself a few times before coming to a stop, in all of say 10-20 seconds. i dont want to insult anyone that is a "roller" out there, and by all means if thats how you want to play go out and have a blast (or a roll) but these disc companies dont put all the effort into creating the most advanced flying plastic discs they can, only to have it rolled down the fairway. i dont think anyone out there will disagree that the flight of a thrown disc is a thing of beauty compared to the route(?) of a rolled disc.

oh and you cant ace a hole with a roll.

one last question, do any of you rollers throw bowling balls at the pins?

but these disc companies dont put all the effort into creating the most advanced flying plastic discs they can, only to have it rolled down the fairway.
Well, except for the Roadrunner, but what does Dave Dunipace know about disc golf anyway? ;) Most of the time I've seen the disc designers happy when one of their discs turns out to be a good roller. They all know the importance of that type of shot.

garublador-1
me-0
i spoke out of emotion, but i still stand by my view that discs are meant to fly not roll.

Anyone who says that rollers suck has clearly not seen them well executed by experienced players. I think the concept that they are cheating the game is ridiculous, if you can figure out both how to throw them well and consistently and if you can find good routes on courses, good for you, use that tool. In response to coolkid's comment about people who can't throw backhand or forehand because they don't have enough power, you Clearly haven't seen good roller players, some of the longest throws in disc golf come on rollers, many players who can throw 400 can roll discs 550' or 600' rollers with optimal conditions. Now, I will say, I don't throw rollers, I simply have respect for those who throw them well, they're much more than luck, when you can birdie a hole 100' out of your air driving range, that's pure skill.

Oh and on the topic of the thread, I've loved my switch to lighter drivers, they're easier to throw and I've gained some distance without losing and power. I throw 162-164 X avengers for most of my distance drives.

<< snip >> Just ordered a 150 dragon and hope it lives up to the hype.

I bought a 150 Dragon about a month ago, after all of the chatter over floating discs. I love it! I'm not strong enough to throw some of the longer, highly overstable drivers well. The Dragon is a little overstable, and I find that it's lengthened my drives 20-30' over the Roc that I was using. I think you'll enjoy tossing the Dragon.

Rollers Rock! I throw them all the time, on purpose. If you are a weenie-arm and see a nice, slightly downhill, freshly mowed fairway and you don't pull out some driver you beat like a red-headed step-child and make like Proud Mary, put on some lipstick and call yourself Brittney because you are just giving it away like a high school girl on Prom Night. I don't care what Steady Ed expected me to do when he came up with the game, the damn things roll better than Zig-Zags and I'm gonna roll 'em!

Seriously, I watched a guy throw a roller that had so much spin that when it hit a tree in the fairway it zipped 10 feet up the trunk of the tree before it fell down. When it hit the ground it was still spinning and went back up the tree a few feet before it finally lost steam. Awesome stuff. I was at an event one time where the final nine was a bunch of monster safari holes, and some really good pros like Ron Russell, "Crazy" John Brooks and George Smith just threw amazing roller after roller. It was one of the most entertaining rounds I ever saw.

Entertaining enough that I went home and learned to throw rollers! :D

In Columbia, MO they have a "Roller Doubles" event every year. I forget the exact rules, I think it is mando rollers off the tee. Anyway, they have had that event for years in celebration of the roller!

Man, I was stuck in a thicket this morning, behind a tree. Threw a beautiful toss to get out, perfect arc. The wolf landed on edge and took off, rolling straight to the basket...and then past it...picked up speed...75' past the basket!

Arg, rollers.

If you are a weenie-arm and see a nice, slightly downhill, freshly mowed fairway and you don't pull out some driver you beat like a red-headed step-child and make like Proud Mary, put on some lipstick and call yourself Brittney because you are just giving it away like a high school girl on Prom Night. I don't care what Steady Ed expected me to do when he came up with the game, the damn things roll better than Zig-Zags and I'm gonna roll 'em!
ROFL... :D By chance, in your spare time to do you play Dr. Cox on "Scrubs" ??

Latest posts