• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

apdrvya's bag--rehashed after feedback. rate my chages?

apdrvya

Marketplace Guru
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Distance Drivers
175g 5x JK Valkyrie--Primary Distance Driver, around 300-325'
174g Goldline Striker--Primary Turnover driver, Very Flat
too much overlap with valkyrie
169g Pearly Champ Orc--Primary for long left Hooking shots, though becoming more a primary driver.
dropped from 175 to 169 pearly

Fairway Drivers
172g Opto River--Forehand and Utility FD
trying to get 160-165g GL River
171g Champ 11x Tbird--Longer, left fades
170g Pro Teebird-L--Long and Very straight shots/turnovers
175g Champ Leopard--Not sure where this fits... Kinda between the TL and Tbird maybe?still trying to decide between leopard and TL, Leopard currently in the lead

Midrange
177g FLX Buzzz--Utility Midrange more off the tee than the roc...
180g DX Roc--Very very flat, I use this a lot for shots 200'-ish or less
172g Cryztal Buzzz--Backup to the FLX --don't really need a backup to the flx at this time
180g 12x KC Roc--Turnovers, this thing is perfectly seasoned for them.
replaced with 180g beat Ching Roc for turnovers, slightly tigher on turns and a little faster
180g Champ Stingray--Tight low tunnel type shots...
note: went from 177 to 180g
176g Z Wasp--Like the buzzz, but with more fade
175g Star Cro--I just really like this disc for turnovers and tight control shots, feels like a longer putter for some reason.

Putters
2x 175g Evo-hpp voodoo--Close range, the white is more floaty and the first run is gummier
2x1x 171/172 X-Link Ridge--Drive putter
2x 172g Soft Ion--Trying to find a place for these, currently more back ups to the voodoos.--just didn't have a place in the bag, sold one, kept apothecary dye.

down from like 20 discs to 14, am I moving in the right direction?

Last edited:
I would check out a roadrunner or avenger SS for a distance driver turnover disc. ez to throw and lots of glide.
If you like the champ leopard, get one in Pro plastic and you will like it more. At this point I would drop it because the TL is probably easier to control. Champ Leos at max weight are going to have more fade.
What shots do you use the DX Roc and Buzzz for? Is the Buzzz for longer mid shots?

may sound weird, but I tee off midrange with the buzzz and throw the roc more from fairway/rough... I have a hard time controlling the roc from the tee for some reason.

I have had a harder time controlling the TL so far. I've been throwing the leopard pretty well though so, the TL hasn't come out much, I need to work it more but it's getting colder and windier so I haven't been out much.

if you're turning over a striker, you are throwing with too much off-axis torque.

Valks would overlap more with Rivers than Strikers.

the issue with that specific striker was that it was INCREDIBLY flat and touchy because it was so flat... I was purposely turning it over.

I'm sure you can. I knew you'd like that disc.
Dammit, I may resort to buying my river from Marshall Street. only ones I've seen have it...

Seems like you have a complicated Mid set up. You probably don't need a Roc and a Buzzz. Also stingray seems like a very niche disc that you could probably use your fairway drivers or another mid-range for. Getting rid of 2 mid molds might help simplify things for you and help you become much more proficient with the molds you have

seems to be a common thread to lose either roc or buzzz. I know plenty of people that carry both. I use both and for different reasons. the stingray, it's trying to stay in the bag, but I don't use it much... maybe forehand? dunno..

i could justify carrying both, if i was you, if the roc was a star roc, because they're pretty overstable for a while.

but...like i said to you at Robert Morris, put the QMS in there with the Rocs and it'll phase out the buzzz's completely. plus, they feel really similar in the hand (QMS and Roc that is)

I may grab an Xout next time I'm at PIAS. I'm not throwing the CE's :|

I find myself going through phases with the stingray .. I find it is most useful in wooded courses. Since it's faster than most mids you can work a low-ceiling shot a little easier with one. Also good for quick turns, again because of the speed. Even if it's super beat you can throw it hard with hyzer and it will turn quick and keep going.

And remember, if you stop throwing them, you know where to send 'em :)

I do!
I now have four champs! the three from you and a ugly twin of the blood red you sent me (Xout)

David Letterman's Top Ten List of Bag Ideas
1. 1st the buzzz is nice for little flip to flat shots. that why it is better off the tee.

2. Rocs are great to throw hard from a standstill trouble...fairway Roc!

3. Go with the Pro Leopard. Leopard comes in i think 11 different plastics. pro is the best.....tons of 1000 rated players throw Leopards. when it rains u throw in a DX leopard and still have amazing control.

4.Buzzz and Roc are you crazy? no u make each disc do what you want so keep them both.

5. are you heading in the right direction yeah but 14 is still kinda high. what does a cro do that a buzzz or roc can't do?

6. Wasp or Roc they are practically the same.

7. 11x teebirds are so nice. not sure if you need a T, TL and leopard. axe the TL for a while see if u miss it.

8. Stingray? just wait for your dx roc to beat into it.

9. is the 11x teebird stable enough into a headwind at 300feet? might get ready to throw something more stable. forehand roller? look at firebirds.

10. trade me that icebowl if this set up works!!!

3. Go with the Pro Leopard. Leopard comes in i think 11 different plastics. pro is the best.....tons of 1000 rated players throw Leopards. when it rains u throw in a DX leopard and still have amazing control.
agreed. Pro Leos are the best. Quick break-in and they are (o)(o)s. So much glide.

8. Stingray? just wait for your dx roc to beat into it.

disagreed. Stingray and roc are totally different discs. But if you don't want em ... man I am starting to sound like a broken record.

elnino,
the rocs I throw are very flat and have little to no flade. I keep the wasp for "around stuff" shots.
the cro, I am agreeing that it's really similar to a flat top roc, but I keep it around for tough hyzer/anhyzers around stuff as well. kinda nice, it always flattens out after it hyzers and lays down right where it hits the ground.
haven't got anything for headwinds, haven't really thought about it yet. probably the next step though...
I had a pro leopard but traded it, now my champs are decent and as glidey for me.
the TL is gradually working itself out of my bag, just hasn't yet. they are a little TOO understable for me, when I throw nose up or nose down they turn way too easy. So, it's prolly on its way out.
THANK YOU!!! for the support of carrying roc and buzzz!! I use them for completely different things and can't tee off for schizz with a roc.

ps, I picked up a gator and am going to try it, I also have a teerex that I need to try, so I've got some overstable discs to try.

unfortunately, my pias sells used for no less than 7.99 and that's for dx. :|
and they have like six used discs at any one time. :\
grand rapids needs a used disc exchange store.