• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Approach Disc Slot

DiscinFiend

* Ace Member *
I recently have significantly lowered the number of discs I carry & I decided to add a disc in my bag just for all my approach shots. I usually just used my main putter for approaches in the past but I want to minimize the wear & tear on my putting putter. What is better for approaches Mids or Putters & why? What is a good disc to use for just for all my approaches that can be throw backhand & forehand?

I have been using a MVP Neutron Tensor lately. I really like it's predictable fade and the fact that it doesn't seem to skip. Just hits and sticks. Love it.........

I recently have significantly lowered the number of discs I carry & I decided to add a disc in my bag just for all my approach shots. I usually just used my main putter for approaches in the past but I want to minimize the wear & tear on my putting putter. What is better for approaches Mids or Putters & why? What is a good disc to use for just for all my approaches that can be throw backhand & forehand?

I would suggest just getting a duplicate putter as the one you use for putting. This way you are using a mold that is already familiar to you, but not having to risk losing or destroying your go-to putter. Also, you will have a second putter that you can warmup/practice putting with.

I would suggest just getting a duplicate putter as the one you use for putting. This way you are using a mold that is already familiar to you, but not having to risk losing or destroying your go-to putter. Also, you will have a second putter that you can warmup/practice putting with.

I do have a duplicate putter of my putting putter that I only use for practice/pre-round putting. So I should just use it for my approaches? I hadn't thought of that

This xinfinity. I always keep two putters at least sometimes 3 or 4. My 2 main putters, one specifically for putting one for putt an approach, my long approach and stick putter an my driving putter. Putters are typically the best for approach because they don't skip. Soft putters work best if you want them to just stick on the approach. My opto pure is my forehand driving putter. I use a soft classic judge for long approaches and putts and hard classic first runs that do the rest, even have several back ups of each except the pure, just in case

I do have a duplicate putter of my putting putter that I only use for practice/pre-round putting. So I should just use it for my approaches? I hadn't thought of that

That's what I would do. Unless, of course, your back up putter is lacking in an area that you wish to change like stability, speed, feel, etc....

I have multiple discs in this spot. Jokeri (overstable), PA1 (stable w/ fade), PA2 (stable no fade), Beat DX Aviar (turning/anhyzers).

Minimalists would hate my bag.

Either this ^ or you could try to power down on whatever your stable mid is. That way you're not adding any more discs to your bag. I use my rocs and buzzzes for approach shots. You're not throwing them as hard and they tend to fly (for me) more consistent than putters do.

I carry two anodes and used them for approach, driving, and putting.. Big mess doing that now because I can't use them to save my life anymore. I would carry 3 of your putter. 2 for putting and 1 for approach. That's probably what I'm going to do.

At the suggestion of people on these forums, I approach with a version of my putting putter. I have two hard classic judges. One gets used for approaches and drives, the other is just a putter. It has taken some getting used to, but I am very comfortable throwing my Judges now (could still get better). I think you'd do well to try this out!

As stated, if you feel you need something more OS or US than your current putter, definitely go with an extreme type of disc (one you would use as a utility of sorts). I know Feldbeard has a Sinus for OS approaches but has a system of 4 putters (all judges) for putts inside and outside of the circle. Food for thought!

I use a beat in sss wizard for my approaches. it flies dead straight and stays exactly where it lands without any skip or roll.

I can't disagree with the putting putter suggestion, but I love my Pure for approaches more than I love my Judge for approaches, and I love my Judge for pure putting more than I love my Pure for putting. Wait...

ZONE.
Reliable. Can be throw both FH and BH with ease. Great for low lines, spike hyzers, tight Flex shots.
I just started throwing mine but the combo of reliability and durable plastic makes the zone a $ approach disc.

Polecat. Once you go Polecat, you never hold back.

I use a new DX Rhyno that I'm beating in to be an extra putting putter. And a Polecat. I've been thinking about getting a Champion Rhyno, but my bag's out of room. So whatever :p

I have the most touch and consistency with a Fuzion Judge and Classic Fugitive. I only use that Judge from the tee or upshots. I can't putt with it if my life depended on it. It's pretty straight with a little fade and very long and glidey for a putter. If I can't reach it with that I use a base plastic Classic Fugitive. It's the flight of a flat top dx roc with slightly less fade but feels similar to the kc pro plastic. I am planning to cycle them and keep two in the bag once this one is beat to flippy.

Just add another putter. Just make it a different color. You can use it for practice putting before the round, and then use it just for approaching during the round.

I carry 2 white fr firm judges JUST for putting. I carry 1 black firm judge that is beat up for my understable approach shots, and 1 red fr firm for my stable approaches. Overkill probably because I can shape most lines with the black one, but I figured a backup of my thrower wouldn't hurt (especially since I have tons of room in my bag lol.)

I go Opto Pure or to my secret weapon - Vibram Soft Summit. That disc has saved me a lot of strokes. Tricky approaches on hillsides are a breeze with it.

Latest posts