• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are 150’ aces really a deal?

So, on 200' shots, how far do they throw it....500'? How about 50' shots, still 500'?
How do they get it near the basket, how do they ever finish a round?:popcorn:

I've seen them throw it into the ground or thru trees hoping the limbs or leaves drop them in the right place. Or just fly past the basket. I've witnessed this from a few players. Not all could throw 500' but they all had one distance in their bag.

I'm a guy who could care less about aces, and never try to throw one, but you'd certainly see a smile on my face if I hit one at 120'. I've seen a ton in my day and everyone of them is a good shot with a lot of luck. No need to start gatekeeping what counts and what doesn't.

Always thrilling. I bang the slut at our local tourney it's hole number 5 slight downhill and hook right... I don't know if it's even a hundred and twenty feet but I got paid 30 bucks and it was the only ace that I saw definitely thrilling . so thrilling in fact that I accidentally high five and forgot that you're only supposed to bump elbows or yell these days

I don't think this is a "Count or Doesn't Count" thread. I think it's a "Thrill or Doesn't Thrill" thread.

Exactly. Thanks.

My original intent wasn't meant to be whether they should count or not but whether that warm fuzzy feeling from hitting one was somewhat less satisfying on the really short holes.

I haven't aced anything in the short time I've been playing but I've been playing a really short course quite a bit lately since my wife has been learning to play and doesn't throw very far yet. I know sooner or later I'm going to put one in on this course but honestly I just don't think I'll be all that excited since every tee shot on this course is an ace run.

Plus, with all of the Covid and rioting stuff lately it's just nice to have another light hearted thread for casual discussion and a little joking around.

Not all short holes are created equal. One of my favorite Aces was only 151 ft (#17 at now extinct Bonnie Brook).
The designer intentionally made this a short hole that plays over a tall (approx. 10 ft) fence that was already on the property.

I was playing with my son and we came up on a group of 5 on #17... so I asked if we could play through.
Floated my FLX challenger up and over the fence with just a hint of annie, and it flexed back toward the chains looking oh sos sexy... probably the sweetest finesse shot I've ever thrown.

My son being there to witness it was by far the best part... but having the group you just asked to "play through" witness it certainly added to the thrill factor.

Sorry, the pic isn't that good, but if you click on the thumbnail, you can see the fence, and there's really no playing around it because of the growth on either side.

Attachments

• BB#17.jpg
    BB#17.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
I might not brag about it, but even if I emptied my bag on an open 150' shot, I'd be super pumped about a throw in from the tee.

I've seen them throw it into the ground or thru trees hoping the limbs or leaves drop them in the right place. Or just fly past the basket. I've witnessed this from a few players. Not all could throw 500' but they all had one distance in their bag.

The other day, I saw this guy on about a 230' hole backed by woods. Threw a pretty full tee shot, it went about half way. Same shot on his 2nd shot. End up about 30 feet short and to the left of the basket. Throws the exact same short on his 3rd shot and it zooms 10 feet over the basket and probably went 75 feet into the woods before it hit a tree.

I try not to laugh at others, but it was tough not to laugh at that.

150-foot ace: I'm stoked

150-foot throw-in: I'm stoked

Circle 2 putt: Stoked, maybe a little less

Take joy when you can; don't ask yourself whether you deserve joy
(you probably don't) ;)

My first ace was Burke Lake #1 (Fairfax, VA) with a white 160+g 40-mold, blue metallic stamp.

There are always ways to make the game more demanding & difficult, if you've got the balls (or don't take yourself or the game too seriously).

I say start playing with your off-hand and see just how difficult the game can become...

I say start playing with your off-hand and see just how difficult the game can become...
Doing just that--resting my right elbow tendonitis for a couple months. I get stoked when a 25' putt goes in lefty! Had a 250' drive lefty on MON that really felt nice too!

I guess stoked is in the arm of the bethrower...

An Ace is a personal achievement. Nobody else cares about your Ace.
Set up a tee 8 feet from a basket, throw the disc in, count it as an Ace, if you want.

My personal belief is, the only true Ace is:
#1- over 200' from tee to basket
#2-first throw only

If you ace during a tournament round and everyone has to pony up a buck, you better believe somebody else cares.:)

Doing just that--resting my right elbow tendonitis for a couple months. I get stoked when a 25' putt goes in lefty! Had a 250' drive lefty on MON that really felt nice too!

I guess stoked is in the arm of the bethrower...

Good for you!

Here's a little 'secret pro' tip: playing off-hand improves one's kinetic awareness to such a degree it makes lesser people faint. in lieu of observer feedback or a video camera, there's nothing better to gain awareness of what you are actually doing, instead of what you think you're doing...same with playing barefoot...

I haven't been playing very long, but I have gotten one single ace. It was a 114 foot hole, with the basket framed in between two mature pine tree trunks. You really want to go left or right of them, and I went straight through. Basically got the benefit of a lucky mistake.

You better believe I was stoked! A real ace in my book.

Yesterday I gave the ProD Challenger putter I hit the ace with to a kid and his mom who were accidentally on the disc golf course looking for a walking trail. They seemed interested in the idea of playing. I didn't even realize I'd given up that putter until later, but I'm happy to have done it. I hope it stokes an interest for one the other or both of them. Maybe it will 30 years later when the kid finally starts to play, like it was for me. Life has many turns to it.

Latest posts