• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are glide and stability actually independent variables?

In MY understanding....Glide happens when the disc loses its main forward force. An example given to me....a plane is flying using its engines (this is the disc after being thrown), then the engines are turned off (the disc has lost the forward momentum from the force of the throw)....the distance the plane (disc) continues is the glide. The plane (disc) might drop out of the air immediately because it is unable to glide or continue for a long time because it has a huge amount of glide.

The issue with glide for a disc is - how do you measure it? With a plane, you know when the engines are off...so the rest is glide. But with a disc, it seems it would be more subjective and less able to be defined.

what about forward penetrating fade vs dumpy fade

would glide impact that

is that a part of total glide

what about forward penetrating fade vs dumpy fade

would glide impact that

is that a part of total glide

Glide is everything that happens after the object loses power; so I would say yes. Like in the plane example....if the plane loses its engines and turns and goes to the ground immediately - that is still glide (just a 0 glide). Likewise, if it continues on and after traveling for a while makes a gentle turn and continues sloping to the ground - that is still glide (just a huge glide - maybe 6 or 7?).

The issue with discs is figuring out where glide starts. Out of the hand you have the power throw and that continues until the glide part, then glide exists until the disc is on the ground. But how the part where power ends and glide starts is going to be tough to figure out. When the disc loses 50 % of its speed? 75% of its speed? It's not like a plane where it is obvious the engines are off.

"Glide is everything that happens after the object loses power; so I would say yes. Like in the plane example....if the plane loses its engines and turns and goes to the ground immediately - that is still glide (just a 0 glide). Likewise, if it continues on and after traveling for a while makes a gentle turn and continues sloping to the ground - that is still glide (just a huge glide - maybe 6 or 7?).

The issue with discs is figuring out where glide starts."

I agree with @DG_player . From the standpoint of physics the force is transferred to the disc during the throw, once the disc leaves your hand the airplane engine shuts off instantaneously. The way spin interacts with the throw complicates things a little since you are in a sense "storing" force in the disc "for later" by loading it up with spin.

In high power understable flight paths I generally recognize three stages of a disc's flight.

1. The first part is when the disc has so much power/speed that it really isn't in "conversation" with the air it is moving through so much as brute forcing its way through it. I find when I put too much force on an understable disc without enough spin the disc never gets past this stage of flight. Understable, slower discs tend to act weirdly like they have very little glide at all when thrown like this.

2. The second part is when the disc slows enough that there starts to be a relationship/conversation between the spin of the disc and the flight path. It seems to me that during this part of the flight the energy from the spin of the disc is being converted into projecting the disc further and further out. This is near/during the apex of the flight and when things like late stage turn and turnovers happen (not early stage turnovers that happen from the immediate torque of the throw).

3. The third part of the throw, after the apex, is when I believe a form of autorotation begins to happen. Some of the kinetic energy the disc gains from descending (potential energy -> kinetic energy) is transferred back into the spin of the disc causing what either looks like a late little "pump" in fadey glide at the end of the throw or a long drawn out relatively flat glide that seems to go improbably far.

I think a lot of what makes drivers able to project so far is they spend so much time in the first stage of this flight. Also it seems overstable discs seem to be less afflicted with a dearth of glide in the first stage than understable discs do. Alllsso this may account for why a big putter drive needs to be angled upwards to a degree, otherwise the putter would run out of vertical room in the first stage of the flight and hit ground.

I would say the glide starts at the beginning of the third stage when the disc crosses from an "energy flow" regime of spin -> projection to descent -> spin -> lift (and maybeeee projection).

I throw a lot of understable discs, I particularly love the zephyr and when you rip a zephyr with really clean form it is very evident when it passes its apex. enters this third stage and begins to descend. It almost looks like the angle of rotation of the zephyr becomes "coupled" with the height and a very consistent turn over/turn happens.

2. The second part is when the disc slows enough that there starts to be a relationship/conversation between the spin of the disc and the flight path. It seems to me that during this part of the flight the energy from the spin of the disc is being converted into projecting the disc further and further out. This is near/during the apex of the flight and when things like late stage turn and turnovers happen (not early stage turnovers that happen from the immediate torque of the throw)."

"I throw a lot of understable discs, I particularly love the zephyr and when you rip a zephyr with really clean form it is very evident when it passes its apex. enters this third stage and begins to descend. It almost looks like the angle of rotation of the zephyr becomes "coupled" with the height and a very consistent turn over/turn happens."

I realize these two statements seem contradictory but with the vast majority of disc golf discs that have a more sane amount of stability than zephyrs, polecats, or beetles do I don't think the additional spin gained from descent is enough to cause noticeable turn overs or turn and it certainly isn't enough to fight low speed fade. It just straightens the flight path of the disc out a bit more then it otherwise would. Most disc golf discs I believe turn over and turn in the second stage of the flight as part of the way the energy of their spin is being released in a "conversation" with the air.

we have nothing to calculate these numbers upon except comparing it to other discs we already know and throw

speed is probably the closest thing we can calculate but height depth weight all impact that

Clearly glide would be the hardest to objectively measure, since most people can't even seem to agree what they're even talking about when referring to glide.

Speed should be pretty easy, simply measure the drag coefficient.

Fade and turn could be easily objectively measured as well. Just measure the torque at a couple different points: release speed, level flight, and descending.

Assuming you could get a consensus on what glide is, there shouldn't really be any issue objectively measuring it as well.

Too bad they didn't use the term 'lift' instead of 'glide', because lift can be measured. Air flowing faster over the top of the disc compared to airflow slower under the disc.

Too bad they didn't use the term 'lift' instead of 'glide', because lift can be measured. Air flowing faster over the top of the disc compared to airflow slower under the disc.

isnt that the same thing as "drag coefficient" that dgplayer was talkin about

People get all caught up in "speed" (which it doesn't measure) and "glide" (which no one can define let alone measure) when neither of these really matter to our game. What we are REALLY looking for is 1) distance potential and 2) what it looks like getting there.
Yeh, I'm a broken record....

isnt that the same thing as "drag coefficient" that dgplayer was talkin about

Related, but not the same. Lift kinda be like the relationship between the drag above the disc and the drag below the disc. Just drag coefficient would be like the difference between a cinder block and a bowling ball. Ball has less drag, but neither have lift.

Related, but not the same. Lift kinda be like the relationship between the drag above the disc and the drag below the disc. Just drag coefficient would be like the difference between a cinder block and a bowling ball. Ball has less drag, but neither have lift.

If I were rating speeds I'd probably go off the speed for optimal lift/drag ratio. It would make shopping for discs a lot easier:

"Optimum L/D: 60 mph."

Hmm... not happening

"40 mph" There we go that sounds maybe doable.

If I were rating speeds I'd probably go off the speed for optimal lift/drag ratio. It would make shopping for discs a lot easier:

"Optimum L/D: 60 mph."

Hmm... not happening

"40 mph" There we go that sounds maybe doable.

For an estimation, I like to use charts that let you change throwing speed to get a sense of how the disc would fly for me. This one is great, but doesn't have all discs: http://discpath.haxor.fi/

And this one is pretty good, with all discs I've looked for: https://flightcharts.dgputtheads.com/

There's a lot of pseudo-science in this thread.

Here's my take on the 4 commonly used flight variables and how they relate to actual physics and/or aerodynamics concepts, and a little comment on disc design:

1) Speed - this loosely correlates with drag, the aerodynamic force acting opposite the disc's linear velocity.
Higher speed loosely correlates with lower drag. For beveled discs of similar weights (i.e. all golf discs), this correlates with wing width.

2) Glide - loosely correlates with lift, the force acting perpendicular to disc velocity and usually considered to counter the gravity force in disc golf practice.
Obviously a 5 glide disc that is lower drag (e.g. speed 13) is different from a 5 glide that is higher drag (e.g. speed 3 or 3). So this already shows that all these flight numbers are relative, and comparisons should really just be made within a speed class.

Turn and Fade (i.e. overstability) are both related mainly to how those aerodynamic forces cause torques on the disc, which then cause gyroscopic precession. In one sense, they're exactly the same thing (one reason I never minded Discraft's old one-number flight rating).

Sure, this relates to a disc's moment of inertia. However, in practice I don't think there are tons of differences between moment if inertia from disc to disc, particularly among discs of similar speed. The biggest thing, I'm convinced, is where the aerodynamic forces (both lift and drag, really) act relative to the disc's center of mass. As has been discussed in some more physics-y threads, turn tends to describe the disc's tendency to roll one way when nose angle is down in the initial portion of the flight, and fade tends to describe the opposite roll after it is nose up in later flight. (I'm sure some ppl would disagree, but I think the more physics-savvy DGCR members would agree with this.)

3) Turn - how a disc rolls in early flight.
This is generally when aerodynamic force, particularly lift, acts posteriorly to center of mass. The magnitude usually relates to how far posterior this force acts. The moment arm makes the force larger and probably relates both to wing design and dome.

4) Fade - essentially the same as turn, but how the disc rolls later in flight, basically as the velocity starts to be oriented downward and as nose angle increases. The amount of fade tends to be related to how far anterior the aerodynamic forces act.

In terms of overstability, these last two (turn and fade) are essentially the same. A disc will act more overstable (low turn and high fade) if the aerodynamic forces act relatively anteriorly in the high speed and low speed portion of the flight.

That's longwinded and probably unnecessary for most. But as it pertains to this thread, I would say yes, overstability and glide are essentially different variables, though they relate to some similar design factors. Flight ratings are not designed to communicate true physical variables or coefficients. Rather they're trying to communicate useful and practical data to disc throwers (and disc buyers).

In one sense, they're exactly the same thing (one reason I never minded Discraft's old one-number flight rating).

I miss the simplicity of the discraft number and arrow. All they needed to make it complete was a picture of a guy next to it so you could judge if have the power to throw it. Maybe a guy with a cane, a slightly overweight middle aged man, a young athletic dude, and finally Ezra flexing.

There's a lot of pseudo-science in this thread.

Here's my take on the 4 commonly used flight variables and how they relate to actual physics and/or aerodynamics concepts, and a little comment on disc design:

1) Speed - this loosely correlates with drag, the aerodynamic force acting opposite the disc's linear velocity.
Higher speed loosely correlates with lower drag. For beveled discs of similar weights (i.e. all golf discs), this correlates with wing width.

2) Glide - loosely correlates with lift, the force acting perpendicular to disc velocity and usually considered to counter the gravity force in disc golf practice.
Obviously a 5 glide disc that is lower drag (e.g. speed 13) is different from a 5 glide that is higher drag (e.g. speed 3 or 3). So this already shows that all these flight numbers are relative, and comparisons should really just be made within a speed class.

Turn and Fade (i.e. overstability) are both related mainly to how those aerodynamic forces cause torques on the disc, which then cause gyroscopic precession. In one sense, they're exactly the same thing (one reason I never minded Discraft's old one-number flight rating).

Sure, this relates to a disc's moment of inertia. However, in practice I don't think there are tons of differences between moment if inertia from disc to disc, particularly among discs of similar speed. The biggest thing, I'm convinced, is where the aerodynamic forces (both lift and drag, really) act relative to the disc's center of mass. As has been discussed in some more physics-y threads, turn tends to describe the disc's tendency to roll one way when nose angle is down in the initial portion of the flight, and fade tends to describe the opposite roll after it is nose up in later flight. (I'm sure some ppl would disagree, but I think the more physics-savvy DGCR members would agree with this.)

3) Turn - how a disc rolls in early flight.
This is generally when aerodynamic force, particularly lift, acts posteriorly to center of mass. The magnitude usually relates to how far posterior this force acts. The moment arm makes the force larger and probably relates both to wing design and dome.

4) Fade - essentially the same as turn, but how the disc rolls later in flight, basically as the velocity starts to be oriented downward and as nose angle increases. The amount of fade tends to be related to how far anterior the aerodynamic forces act.

In terms of overstability, these last two (turn and fade) are essentially the same. A disc will act more overstable (low turn and high fade) if the aerodynamic forces act relatively anteriorly in the high speed and low speed portion of the flight.

That's longwinded and probably unnecessary for most. But as it pertains to this thread, I would say yes, overstability and glide are essentially different variables, though they relate to some similar design factors. Flight ratings are not designed to communicate true physical variables or coefficients. Rather they're trying to communicate useful and practical data to disc throwers (and disc buyers).

I agree with most of this but I do think there is another difference in the ascent and descent phase of a disc's flight that I mentioned before which is autorotation occurs in the descent. I guess I can't prove that a disc golf disc is like a helicopter blade in that it will convert upward flowing air into spin (not necessarily increasing it, though in the case of a super understable disc like a lattitude beetle it might be) but I think it would be weird if it didn't. When a glidey disc hits a gust of wind, abruptly plummets and then passes through to floatier air and shoots back up it seems to me that the potential energy from the height of the disc is partially converted into spin and then that spin is converted back to lift like a sort of spring.

Now, if autorotation is actually acting on discs (which seems to me to be the case when I throw zephyrs with a lot of clean power and they turn over very consistently as a function of their descent) that would simply be a mitigating effect on fade. With overstable discs this is probably pretty hard to notice but with understable discs if the disc is still at a moderate hyzer when descent begins to happen it may be enough to turn over the disc to a more horizontal angle and hold it there (i.e. gravity hyzer flips the disc super late for you) which produces a unique flight path that I think a lot of people would describe as "glidey".

This effect is even more obvious when throwing a significantly understable disc down hill. If I want a zephyr to end with a little hook left on a fairly straight, significantly downhill throw I will throw a right hand forehand with a moderate amount of hyzer *without* enough power to hyzer flip it and it will smoothly turn over into an anhyzer as it descends (and then if I threw it correctly it will pull back into a hyzer at the last second).

This is still one of the best (actual, not pseudo-) scientific articles on flying disc flight I have found. The author addresses what I believe to be OP's point starting on page 18.

S. Hummel MS in Mechanical Engineering thesis on Frisbee Flight Simulation and Throw Biomechanics

Ooh, this is very interesting. So yah this from pg 23-24 (of scanned pdf, not of pdf file)

Downward steady gliding

The above is an approximation because the flight will be straight only when the rolling and pitching moments are equal to zero which occurs only when !=9°. As shown above, however, as the velocity decreases the angle of attack must increase, producing a pitching moment. However a straight trajectory is possible during a steady downward glide.

The pitching and rolling moments still need to be zero, but now they can be approximately maintained. To first achieve zero pitching and rolling moments, the Frisbee must be thrown with no initial wobble, i.e. without any angular velocity components about the x and y axes that would cause pitch and roll rates (p and q) and corresponding moments in eq. 2-8. Secondly, the angle of attack must be != 9°. At this angle, the remaining terms of the pitching moment will be zero (Fig. 2-4).

Previously there was nothing to balance the drag, but with the orientation of the Frisbee nose down with the velocity vector pointed below the plane of the Frisbee, there is now a component of the weight to balance drag.
Together the lift and drag can balance the weight (Fig. 2-7) for a given velocity and given downward glide angle, #, the angle between the velocity vector and the horizontal.

I think this may be near the core of what we mean when we say "floaty" or "glidey" discs. A more overstable, less glidey disc won't spend much time here or its fade will be too great for this dynamic to happen.

They don't seem to say here that the energy from the descent is partially converted into spin unless the math is saying that in a way I don't understand but yah

Last edited:
from page 25 and 26

Initially the velocity vector is pointed slightly above horizontal and the lift is sufficiently large to overcome the weight causing the Frisbee to accelerate upward. Because drag and gravity slows the disc down, by the end of the flight the velocity has decreased to nearly 1/3 its original speed to less than 4 m/sec.

Decreasing speed means the lift will no longer exceed weight and the Frisbee will start to fall. However, as the downward component of velocity increases, the angle of attack increases. Lift increases with increased angle of attack; therefore the Frisbee does not fall as fast as it would if the angle of attack remained constant.

Because the pitch angle does not change much, less than 2° (Fig. 2-9b), angle of attack will continue to increase as long as the Frisbee is slowing down and falling. Also, once the angle of attack exceeds 9°, the pitching moment becomes positive (the COP moves forward of the COM ) which results in a negative roll rate and the right side of the Frisbee (viewed from the back) to rotate up, causing the common "left curve" of the disc at the end of a flight.

This is what I would describe as the normal descent flight path of a stable to overstable disc (and is also common for understable discs as well under many throwing conditions) but there is a definite difference physically between this type of descent and the type of descent I quoted in my previous post.

In the "overstable descent" flight path the author says that as the disc begins to fall its angle of attack becomes more nose up and this increases lift, thus giving the floaty descent. The author does not describe, unless I am mistaken, that lift increases in the "understable descent" flight path (or "Downward Steady Glide" phase). This does not seem to fit with my theory that the force of gravity drives rotation as the disc descends and creates lift.

At the beginning of the paper on page 30

Mitchell (1999) also measured Frisbee lift and drag using wind tunnel tests. He confirmed the observation of Stilley that spin affects lift and drag only little.

..among other quotes about how previous studies have shown that spin does not create lift (and autorotation, as I claimed, doesn't happen).

However, I wonder if what we think of as GLIDE is actually two different things. I definitely don't know the flight numbers of a "frisbee" as it is being discussed here but lets consider the ultrastar, the objectively superior, end game content of the frisbee evolutionary tree. I don't think an ultrastar actually would have that high glide numbers. I haven't thrown a rattler, but people seem to describe the discraft rattler as flying like an ultrastar (besides also being shaped like a mini one) and the rattler has a glide of 3.

Maybe "ultrastar glide" is really a function of a disc being slowwwwwww and having a deep dish, wide rim that when the nose lifts as the disc begins to descend maximally plows air downwards for lift.

Most of the discs rated for high glide (4/5 and up) are understable fairway to distance drivers and maybe this is just how people talk about putters/midranges vs drivers (glide meaning DISTANCE with drivers especially) but I actually think there is something to this. Going back to the part of the paper where the author describes "Downward Steady Gliding" (I labelled it "understable descent") the author doesn't mention the role of spin here at all, but when you throw a comet, roadrunner, a teebird, river, saint etc... those faster discs that people describe as having an extra bit of glide, I think spin plays a major role in that glide.

I armchair hypothesized that this glide was from autorotation. (As a reminder autorotation is a phenomena of descent where the flow of air upwards past a helicopter blade begins to drive the rotation of the helicopter blade and create lift). Perhaps the opposite is happening.

Perhaps when a disc golf disc enters the "Downward Steady Gliding" flight path, gravity begins to help counteract a loss of velocity from drag but not a loss of spin from drag. Thus the spin-to-speed ratio goes down so the disc progressively acts more flippy as it slows down and this counteracts the opposing tendency of fade. Perhaps this does not induce lift, but with an understable, glidey disc it might keep the flight path of the disc projecting forwards when fade would have won out long ago on a more overstable disc and caused it to dump out on a hyzer.

In other words when you throw a comet/teebird/saint/river whatever cleanly and it enters a downward steady glide after the apex the relationship between spin in terms of speed and stability (which the graph of might look quite different for different discs) keeps the disc cradled at a nice horizontal angle that maximizes the lift capability of the disc (consider that when a plane enters a banking turn, the lift of its wings decreases because the wings are no longer horizontal and the lift force is no longer directly counteracting gravity).

I do believe I observe this tendency in zephyr/polecat type discs too, but I am now thinking these may be unusually slow speed examples of discs that exhibit this phenomena of glide except they also don't have the low speed fade.

From the author's review of the literature it doesn't seem like disc golf discs have been studied tooo deeply, and even if they have I doubt researchers have walked up to a comet and asked "Why is the comet objectively the most beautiful midrange disc to watch fly when it is thrown well?" so I doubt I can find a direct answer to this. It probably takes some pretty subtle, specific design a disc so that when it enters the "downward steady gliding" phase tends to counteract its fade with its increasing flippiness from loss of spin vs speed.

Last edited:

Latest posts