• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Are overstable mids pointless?

I use on OS mid for when I don't want that firebird skip. Sometimes, it is important not to skip like that.

I carry a gator for overstable forehand mid shots where I don't want it to skip and a firebird for os forehands with skip.

I tend to over snap my mids, so I prefer over stable mids to understable mids, except my Buzzz SS.

I throw a beat in FLX Drone, super stable Z Drone & a Zone & love all of them!

So, no, ovestable mids are not pointless

Multi-stage flights at (full) low speeds and landings proportionate to the flight distance... how is this even a debate?

You crazy DGCR.

I bet zam carries at least 4 meathook mids in his bag :D

You and zj should do in the bag vids, dn edition.

I recently got rid of all my o/s mids and haven't seen a need for them. I simply adjust the flight angle when I need too.

I like an overstable mid because discs like the F1 and Firebird (I carry both) tend to skip a lot. Now, this is helpful when I need it, but an overstable mid like an M1, Pain, Gator, Drone, and Demon won't skip nearly as much. If they skip at all. And my M1 and Pain go about 320' whereas my F1 goes about 350' on comfortable hard throws.

I don't know what I would do without my flx drone… I use it for a forehanding upshots, which is the main way I do upshots, and its money. I actually lost mine and then played with out it for a few months. Once I got it back I immediately noticed a change in my game. I would use a predator or XXX but the glide of a fairway driver always comes into play. I want something that stays low to the ground and isn't going to skip a mile.

I think all you guys have some funny gators. Every gator that I have thrown has been comparable to firebirds in the ammount of skip you get, which is a lot.

I think all you guys have some funny gators. Every gator that I have thrown has been comparable to firebirds in the ammount of skip you get, which is a lot.

When I threw gators they seemed to skip a lot too. Maybe everybody is throwing soft spike hyzers with theirs. I had a clear hpp spirit for a while that wouldn't skip, it'd hit the ground and just kind of tumble into a backflip.

Ya, my Gator will skip if I tell it to, but I'm throwing spike hyzers with mine so the skip in negligible. Plus mine is a Star if that makes any difference.

Yeah mine can skip pretty good depending on the throw. Made a nice 150 ft skip shot with one recently.

careful you are rumbling the innova gods. that's WHY they throw gators duhh.

My tensor skips like a SOB and its not even as OS compared to zone/drone type beefy discs.

Ya, my Gator will skip if I tell it to, but I'm throwing spike hyzers with mine so the skip in negligible. Plus mine is a Star if that makes any difference.

I feel as though that this describes pretty much every overstable disc. My gator wont skip if I spike it but it will if I throw it low and flat. That statement holds true for all my overstable stuff. And with that new run of flat as crap firebirds, I have been able to drop the gator and keep the bird instead of having both.

My Gator may be an exception. It's an old beaded pearly one and it rarely skips when thrown flat.

Overstable mids are not pointless. They're more controllable than overstable drivers. You might be able to use a Trident and throw most of the same shots, but isn't that just saying you prefer a driver-like rim instead of a mid-style rim?

(Evidently we've been very offensive by going off-topic in a different thread)

Latest posts