• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are overstable putters overrated?

Are Overstable Putters Overrated?

• Total voters
I've been playing almost 2 years and have bagged a Zone about 18 months. FH is a big part of my game and I'm confident the Zone will never leave.

My belated vote is NAY!

Edit...I can also FH a Buzzz SS and a beat FD. I believe the term DG gurus use is reliable in regards to throwing the Zone.

Last edited:
Well, 8 yrs later, I think the Envy has made OS putters irrelevant for me. I have been that guy who tried a bunch of different OS putters like Harps and Zones, but learned I can make the Envy do all those shots and more. Why waste time with anything else?

Overstable putters are in and out of my lineup.

The most overstable putter I carry on a frequent basis is a sky God p2. I feel like I have to put them in when I'm not feeling my finesse game on a certain course, or when the wind is out of control.

Before I hurt my back, tore my rotator cuff and had to stop throwing I had been carrying a Scale. I'd never complimented the Wizard/Aviar main putter with something more overstable before that, but it was a huge crutch. When I was just out of sync and not making putts, I'd just hyzer putt with the Scale and lean on that. It seemed like a great idea at the time. It was easier than struggling through to figure out what my problem was. It was also creeping in as a bad habit, the Scale had basically become my primary putter and hyzer putting was what I did all the time. I lost any touch I had around the basket.

Recently I've been able to get out and throw a little. I switched to the APX, the touchiest, bitchiest finesse putter this side of an 86 Softie to try to get my putting stroke back. It's been awful, I can't hit the broadside of a barn. I might just go back to the Scale and just not worry about it.

I've just recently began throwing the Rhyno, amazing. Glidey, nope. Long, nope. This putter was recommended to me and I gave it a shot, it's a great compliment to my throwers, it get me outta trouble, is a great FH approach disc. Fresh it's a brick, but I swear that dongain glide as they break in. And keep a freshy for meat hook, low ceiling, hit and sit type shots. Release it with a little anny and it goes straight and gets a little longer. FH flex shots. I don't use it for wind outting I just adjust my release point. That's my take

I played a 200 foot downhill dog leg today, dead straight through trees before fading hard right. I don't think I could've two-ed it without my harp, it is so much easier.

I played 15 years of club ultimate and switched 3 years ago. This is not uncommon in the sport. Throwing putters feels the most like throwing lids. Also most ultimate background players throw lots of forehands. Making the harp/Zone a premium disc. I think I have 9 harps, its an amazing disc. My only problem is a I throw them in Baseline plastic mostly and am sometimes late to cycle them. With Heavy use they do wear fast.

I think they have their place and value, I just think the overstable putter/mid craze is doing more harm to the average chuckers game than good.

Lots of guys no longer have an interest in making shots, they just chuck beef.

How much beef would a beef Chuck Chuck??

The Zone is amazing. I made a 70' approach shot today around a large bush and two trees on the most absolute butter forehand anhyzer line. Shots like that are what make me love disc golf.

I currently bag a factory store (Stiff) Pro Pig as my overstable putter. I mostly throw it sidearm. If I didn't forehand as much as I do, I don't think I'd bag an overstable putter. An overstable putter is great for sidearm approach shots. I don't think beefy putters are overrated. They just are more popular now because sidearm has grow in popularity in recent years. Especially since people have noticed pros bagging them more frequently, like Ricky with his Harps.

I currently bag a factory store (Stiff) Pro Pig as my overstable putter. I mostly throw it sidearm. If I didn't forehand as much as I do, I don't think I'd bag an overstable putter. An overstable putter is great for sidearm approach shots. I don't think beefy putters are overrated. They just are more popular now because sidearm has grow in popularity in recent years. Especially since people have noticed pros bagging them more frequently, like Ricky with his Harps.

Also you have to have a good forehand or be able to to a left tuning backhand shot to be a top pro the way they make top level courses now. You have to throw almost all the different kinds of shots on a course to be able to to win the tournament. There are exceptions to every course now but you need to have all the different kinds of shot at least a decent ability with them to have a chance on some of these top level courses.

I think they have their place and value, I just think the overstable putter/mid craze is doing more harm to the average chuckers game than good.

Lots of guys no longer have an interest in making shots, they just chuck beef.

Same could also be said of the whole Overstable craze, these players want to only play more open courses because they have a bag of discs that is nothing but overstable discs. Sad but I see those players where I live. Due to high winds in South Dakota Pierre they uses overstable discs and want to play only the two local courses for tournaments as they have more open style to most of the course or look up to see what Kind of course they are in a tournament before signing up, only playing open style courses. However on both courses I have herd of players taking high scores on the wooded/tunnel holes simply the fact they skip those holes in casual rounds as they only have a Overstable Bag. Unless you are Garret Gurthie, a guy I just saw on YouTube playing the Jonesboro Open and Texas State Championships round 1. Garret Gurthie is a player who could get away with a overstable bag as he is a mega power thrower and even he does not as he has a Sonic for approach shots.

Dude, you don't have to explain who Garrett Gurthie is. And you literally just agreed with the comment you quoted?? Sometimes I'm honestly confused buddy.

modern OS putters such as harp or deep putters in premium plastic like the s/c P2 are underrrated.

They are actually a welcome innovation to old school discs that can have more tangible benefits across the board (noodle-through-power arms).

Old school guys should love them because a s/c p2 is just an OS aviar. You can't get any more old school than aviar. Why even throw a fairway driver/midrange when you can be old school and throw a driving putter on those 200-300ft wooded fairways.

They can even lessen the # of molds bagged if you already put with aviar-like discs.

I'd rather have newer players driving a s/c P2 off the tee with better shot shaping form on less than 300ft holes than a groove/havoc/tern/destroyer with a terrible flex line.

He's basically spamming.

Here's my thing, I'm really not a mean guy but is he serious?? Or effin with people. I said something to him once and he was all defensive about his ADHD and then I felt bad but fusgesicles man!! Im not gonna hate on him but had to say something.