• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are overstable putters overrated?

Are Overstable Putters Overrated?

• Total voters
We could always make fun of Nebula lovers:D

I love the Nebula, but I'm not addicted to them, which I think some of you guys are to your Rhynos and such. ;)

If it's any consolation, I think I'm throwing the worst version of Rhyno available probably (champ). I'm actually going to play a few rounds with it as my primary putter b/c I'm fair and open-minded of course.

I do think a Polecat vs Rhyno tourney would be fun as hell though. :D Move over, team Jacob and team other effeminate guy.

I love the Nebula, but I'm not addicted to them, which I think some of you guys are to your Rhynos and such. ;)

If it's any consolation, I think I'm throwing the worst version of Rhyno available probably (champ). I'm actually going to play a few rounds with it as my primary putter b/c I'm fair and open-minded of course.

I do think a Polecat vs Rhyno tourney would be fun as hell though. :D Move over, team Jacob and team other effeminate guy.
I don't care for champ Rhynos.

ha! i've actually sank a lot of putts with an orc, cause i can park my orc a lot and usually miff the putt. grab the orc and angry putt it

I hear you peabody, I miff the putt all the time myself. But I throw my whole bag at the basket in anger instead. And if I miff the bag throw I flying drop kick the basket and hang helplessly from the chains because I never and I mean NEVER miff a flying drop kick.

Great in the wind where a putter with mass amounts of glide and more turn (understable) would be only at the mercy of the wind.

Overstable putters make for excellent drivers and great hyzer discs.

Always have the rhyno in bag here to accompany the magics. I use both understable and overstable putters. Wouldn't do with either.

I'd be lost without my Pro Pig...and to a lesser extent my R-Pro Pig..

super for drives and putts.. and approaches.. hell I could play a whole game with just a pig.. but I won't

Well, I took that Champ Rhyno for a spin today. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it still sucks pretty hard.

A 12 yo kid thought it was a freebie and picked it up on one of the few good approaches I had with it. Dang kids, trying to steal crappy discs.

Sometimes I think some of you guys need to man up and learn to throw a regular putter (Wizard, Aviar, Magnet, etc.) with hyzer instead of chucking some glideless hunk of plastic at the basket like some sort of crutch.

I would like to extend that observation to all discs in general, whether putters or drivers.

I think many people here would benefit from playing their local course with nothing but a Magic for a few rounds.

Overstable plastic certainly has it's place (I carry Predators) but any disc out there can be made to hold a hyzer line.

Champion Rhyno...if you can't see the possibilities, than I feel sorry for your game as it is lacking. Glide is just as much a feature to charish as discs that do not glide. Why? Midrange sidearm approach game, huge jump putts were the putter takes the snap, tight short backhand shots that have to land str8...I can keep going, but as I run into these shots often, I know the rhyno is stable, and will land quickly....obviously the poster to this thread has never played in windy conditions or complicated situations.

pssst....for distance...just aim higher...and more snap helps:thmbup:

To sum it up, the rhyno is a utility mid range and not some floppy putter that will flip and roll on you....gl with you and your glide and general understable disc when trying to make the shots I stated above....or join us:D

RHYNO NATION!

Champion Rhyno, if you can't see the possibilities, then I feel sorry for your game as it is lacking. Glide is just as much a feature to cherish as is discs that do not glide. Why? Mid-range, sidearm approach game; huge jump putts where the putter can take more snap; tight, short backhand shots that have to land straight; I can keep going, but as I run into these shots often, I know the rhyno is stable, and will land quickly.... What?

Obviously the poster to this thread has never played in windy conditions or complicated situations.

Pssst, for distance just aim higher, and more snap helps:thmbup:

To sum it up, the rhyno is a utility mid-range and not some floppy putter that will flip and roll on you. Good luck with you and your glide and generally understable disc when trying to make the shots I stated above or join us:D

RHYNO NATION!
Edited for clarity, sort of. :\

Thanks for the good luck, Nate! You too man! Hope your game evolves one day to where you won't have to suckle on the teat of your Rhynos to make basic DG shots! :D:p

I'll trust you man, I'll trust you. Just do me a favor and quit using ellipses instead of commas. ;)

I went from a 150 aviar to soft magnets and then to kc aviars and will never look back. Overstable hard putters have a consistent flight and a consistent release(something I couldn't get with the soft magnets on anny lines). Once the putter slows it dives left on me, often not leaving me a vey far come back shot. I feel comfortable at 50ft that I can run at the basket and if I air ball it I won't have too tough of a come back shot.

Sometimes those magnets held the anny line and would glide forever!

Definitely overrated, as are overstable midranges.

I'll throw down my real vote now.

Overrated? No.

Overused? Yes.

My largest problem with them is that the BEST feeling putters are the glideless, overstable ones. Damn them. It really put a damper on my game's progression relying on them for the feel.

i dont see the point in driving with them when you could just use a mid. maybe thats just me though

If you are playing a 180-220ft hole, a mid will over shoot the basket. I have a 175 Soft Magnet that I use just for shots like this -about 225 down to 100. I also use it in moderate winds as a long approach disc. For 100ft to 30ft I use a 168 , nicely broken in Soft Magnet, and 30ft in I use a 173 Soft Magnet.

For strong winds, and overstable putts, I use a ESP Challenger. Works nicely.

I can and do put a pro or a r-pro pig out past 200' easily enough... Use 'em as utility discs... windy putting discs.... I drive with them pretty often.

Once I added the Pigs into my rounds I felt decidedly better about using putters for driving... I mix in an Aviar and all is right with the world... Overstable putters are like gold

I think a Pig or a zone has it's place...and it's somewhere near replacing a gator or drone, and made for getting you out of the shule on the left hand side...otherwise I don't see the point.

I tried. I own 2 pigs and a Zone or 3 (one's a first run midnight zone...so I got that for entirely different reasons)

If I was going to play a tournament at a new course that I hear is really rough off the fairway...I might bring a pig. If I was playing any of the local courses I might add a Wizard in case the wind gets CRAZY for some reason mid tourney...but that's about it.

As with most discs, they're only as useful as you can use them, so if they work for you...sweet. Go ahead and use them. They're just not really for me.

\/\/

I'm out on overstable putters. I started with a Pro Ryhno and have used a VP. I feel like they shine for driving hooks but for putting its a lot more like lobbing a heavy object at the basket than throwing a disc.

Latest posts