• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Are there other discs like the meteor?

Sorry, fast no, understable yes. Meteors fly fairly slow for a mid, but with a lot of glide. They're also somewhat unique as mids go, so no, you won't get "the same flight" out of "different molds when worn in".

Ted, really, where are you coming up with this stuff? It makes one wonder if you actually throw the discs you comment on.(see other threads)

Flat or domey, the Wasp is a faster, less glidey Roc. Not to say it doesn't have glide. It just doesn't have as much as the Roc. The Legacy Ghost is the closest thing to a Roc that I've thrown.

I would also argue that the Meteor isn't as unique as people seem to think. There are just better understable mids on the market that don't suffer from having to be thrown fast enough to do their thing.

^^^Thank you

Wow!

Did you say the Meteor is fast? I thought you said it had to be "thrown fast to do its thing." Which isn't correct, but I was giving you the benefit of the doubt.

See Discraft's blurb on the Meteor below:

"The Meteor™ fits nicely into our midrange lineup next to the Comet™, and delivers steady, controlled turnovers with a lot of glide... even at slower speeds."

The comparison to the Comet should be a dead giveaway re speed or lack thereof.

"even at slower speeds" refers to throwing speed, not disc speed. If it has to be thrown at fast speeds to do its thing, wouldn't that pretty much imply that it's a faster mid?

They're lying about it comparing to the Comet. A Comet will stay pretty straight at slow speeds. Try making that happen without a strong fade with a Meteor. It's a faster mid like a Buzzz.

"even at slower speeds" refers to throwing speed, not disc speed. If it has to be thrown at fast speeds to do its thing, wouldn't that pretty much imply that it's a faster mid?

They're lying about it comparing to the Comet. A Comet will stay pretty straight at slow speeds. Try making that happen without a strong fade with a Meteor. It's a faster mid like a Buzzz.

Those are your words, hardly the consensus of those who actually use a Meteor. I play with a couple guys who throw the Meteor, one of which got his from me. I used it briefly and thought there were better understable mids, one of which is the Fuse, which replaced the Meteor in my bag.

So, they're typically throwing their Meteors for finesse approach at slower speeds, or when they need a shot to finish right, or w/o fade. And often as a get out of trouble, low power requirement mid, where there's poor footing.

Where do you get the idea a Meteor will have a "strong fade" at "slow speeds". Ain't happening. They are understable, straight with minimal fade if any at low speed, and glidey. Do you own or throw a Meteor?

Discraft "lying"...that's a good one!

Search this site alone for reviews of the Meteor, if it will help.

Last edited:
I've thrown it, yes. It didn't make the bag (the Impact was the same way) because it acts like a different disc on really short approaches. It's why I bag a Flying Squirrel. If your friends have gotten to know the disc well enough to use it in situations where I didn't like it, great.

I have my experience with them (yes, them...multiples in different plastics), and they are a fast understable mid with a strong low speed fade that is more apparent when they aren't brought up to speed initially.

Meteor is fast for a mid. Anyone saying otherwise doesn't understand what "fast" means is relation to disc flight ratings.

The Meteor's flight can change drastically as you start to take power off the throw. It makes it a very versatile disc, but also very finnicky.

I've ended up in some pretty thick woods trying to take a little off for a finesse shot and rather than flipping up like I want, it ends up holding a straight line before hyzering out. Thankfully, it's also good for a nice high anny forehand to get back onto the fairway, turn left and glide out to the pin.

I've thrown it, yes. It didn't make the bag (the Impact was the same way) because it acts like a different disc on really short approaches. It's why I bag a Flying Squirrel. If your friends have gotten to know the disc well enough to use it in situations where I didn't like it, great.

I have my experience with them (yes, them...multiples in different plastics), and they are a fast understable mid with a strong low speed fade that is more apparent when they aren't brought up to speed initially.

Appreciate you keeping it civil in our discussion, and actually answering the question(s).

Funny that you bring up the Impact, because I've had the same experience with it. Powered down it has little glide and just dumps, but straight down, for me anyway.

Someone mentioned trying to flip a Meteor in poor footing and having it hyzer out at the end. Well yeh...don't use a hyzer release trying to flip it under those conditions(poor footing, not much on the throw) and you'll get a different result.

I still can't consider the Meteor fast, but my comparison in that regard is with mids like the Squall, Warship, Truth, and Warrior, all of which I throw or have thrown. Even the Wasp is a faster flyer than any Meteor I've thrown, ESP and Z.

Last edited:
ThinAir: Have you thrown a Comet much? Because that's what people mean when they say "slow mid". A Meteor had a driver-style rim; fairly aerodynamic, and fairly wide.

Also; fuses don't suck.

They blow.

ThinAir: Have you thrown a Comet much? Because that's what people mean when they say "slow mid". A Meteor had a driver-style rim; fairly aerodynamic, and fairly wide.

Also; fuses don't suck.

They blow.

Yes, used to throw the Comet, then switched to the Flying Squirrel. A couple of truly slow mids.

Meteor does have a driver style rim, but it's not wide, only 1.3cm. It's also a fatter mid with a broader shoulder, which doesn't help with speed. A Truth, Warship, and even Tursas will crush it on speed...and distance.

Opto Fuse is a different animal, especially heavy ones.

Yes, used to throw the Comet, then switched to the Flying Squirrel. A couple of truly slow mids.

Meteor does have a driver style rim, but it's not wide, only 1.3cm. It's also a fatter mid with a broader shoulder, which doesn't help with speed. A Truth, Warship, and even Tursas will crush it on speed...and distance.

Opto Fuse is a different animal, especially heavy ones.

Speed =/= Distance

Latest posts