• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are these foot faults?

Cat's sure looks like a stance violation from that shot but tough to tell for sursies from a vid.

That's quite nit picky. I can understand questioning jump putt stuff but that's just overkill.

#1: I'd say no -- the camera is behind her, and she's throwing to a pin that's pretty far left (the line she has to hit goes from the basket through her mini, so she should be ending up on the right side of it from our perspective).

#2: Probably. Keep watching for another 50 seconds, and you'll hear a "Cat, you gotta watch your feet" comment from one of the ladies on her card.

Those are both pretty clear stance violations but I would never call either one in competition. I'd love to see a change in the rule that widens the line of play to the width of the marker disc for any throw with a run up. It can be very difficult to place your foot correctly when you are concentrating on your throw.

Those are both pretty clear stance violations but I would never call either one in competition. I'd love to see a change in the rule that widens the line of play to the width of the marker disc for any throw with a run up. It can be very difficult to place your foot correctly when you are concentrating on your throw.

I disagree that it is difficult at all. Part of the concentration is to ensure your feet are in the proper place. If its so hard then stand and deliver.

#2: Probably. Keep watching for another 50 seconds, and you'll hear a "Cat, you gotta watch your feet" comment from one of the ladies on her card.

I did not hear this. Lemme go back.
"Cat you gotta watch your feet"
and then
"So is that a foot fault?".

Interesting.

Last edited:
#1 looks kind of like she planted for a sec, did a weird hop, and then neither foot was behind her marker. Very hard to tell in real time.

1) her plant looks fine to me. Seems like her plant foot slips on her a bit, but it's too hard to tell if it's before, during, or after the release. No violation cuz it's too close to call, can't tell exactly when her foot slips vs where the disc is

2) her plant might be off by a few inches. Possibly missed the mark, but I also think it's too close to call

1) Her toe appears to be more or less on the line, but her heel appears to be off the line. So by the time she rotates on her heel she's off the line and it's therefore a foot fault. It's hard to tell for sure if it just looks that way from the camera angle or if it really was a foot fault.

2) This one looks like a pretty clear foot fault.

They definitely mentioned this to her later. Hopefully the pros start paying more attention to this. I agree that fairway foot faults aren't a big deal as far as gaining an advantage, but the rules are the rules and to be accepted as a serious professional sport the pros really needed to start executing this correctly.

They both look like foot faults to me, but as always, you have to be there. They should be called. Watch the guys who hit their foot placements do their run up. They sacrifice a lot to get it right. That means a player who doesn't focus on that placement gets both accuracy and distance advantages. That isn't exactly fair.

You wanna see some foot faults go watch Ulibarri from round one I believe. I know there were at least 2 obvious foot faults on his walking putt.

You wanna see some foot faults go watch Ulibarri from round one I believe. I know there were at least 2 obvious foot faults on his walking putt.

if they were obvious , why weren't they called ? I honestly don't think most people understand that rule.

Yah, those are foot faults. I saw several in the Open division too. I didn't take the time to mark them in the video, but they are there and don't get called. I think no one want's to start a foot fault calling war because they all do it to some extent. lol..

First one looks borderline. Line of play is basket to disc, not the line of her run up or shot.

Second one in the OP and the one numbernine just posted look fairly obvious to be infractions to my eye.

Latest posts