• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Are these foot faults?

Absolutely, foot fault. You cannot let players break the rules when playing for money.

If it's "understood" that you don't call someone on a foot fault, then get rid of the rule and just make them be behind their disc.

seems super obvious to me.
I might have said something about that one.

This third example is much more obvious than the other two. I'd more willingly give her the benefit of the doubt on the others than on that one.

looking a those videos, it is hard to believe there was any intent at all. They were wide open shots, no obstacles in the way. I may have given a friendly reminder, that's all.

Intent doesn't make the fault. Missing the mark makes it, whether or not you meant to. No tennis player intends to foot fault on his serve, but there are amateurs who do it almost every time.

Absolutely, foot fault. You cannot let players break the rules when playing for money.

If it's "understood" that you don't call someone on a foot fault, then get rid of the rule and just make them be behind their disc.

I definitely agree with this point: when you're playing for money, you should expect to be held to the rules, no matter what. If you don't like it, then you can stop playing as a pro, or you can lobby to get the rules changed. I'm willing to give a player the benefit of the doubt that it's not intentional, until it remains a habit after she's already been called out for it. If a top pro is accustomed to getting away with it, it might not be intentional so much as she's not aware she's doing it, because nobody is calling it on her. That's on her fellow players as much as it is on her.

Intent doesn't make the fault. Missing the mark makes it, whether or not you meant to. No tennis player intends to foot fault on his serve, but there are amateurs who do it almost every time.

I agree. My point was only that I don't believe anyone was trying to cheat, same way tennis players aren't trying to cheat when they foot fault.

I don't understand why ams, and some pros step to side of disc. I gave someone a friendly reminder during a tourney once and he kept doing it. He was so far behind I didn't call him on it because it would have been too much distraction.

The lady after the OP 2nd example looks like a stance violation. If her heel is on the LOP, it's BARELY. Obviously need to see it in person and see the LOP to be sure.

I agree. My point was only that I don't believe anyone was trying to cheat, same way tennis players aren't trying to cheat when they foot fault.

I don't understand why ams, and some pros step to side of disc. I gave someone a friendly reminder during a tourney once and he kept doing it. He was so far behind I didn't call him on it because it would have been too much distraction.

How is it a distraction to play by the rules?

Wow, watching those videos, I think if y'all really want to play by the rules (which is the fair thing to do), you need to implement a 30cm piece of string that is laid down on the line of play (and thus becomes the LOP and the mark to hit).

Or a mandate a mini with a 30cm tail to mark the lie. This has been suggested/invented before.

Or go to Stand and Deliver.

You can say "just enforce the rule" all you want, but with it that hard to call, having something physical to hit would free up the other players (or the thrower himself) to make the call.

I'm not trying to get into intent or whatever here. I know that I have blown a stance once or twice, based simply on not paying attention or paying too much attention to the shot, or whatever.
I just think it's interesting that I've never seen one called on the ladies, on video.

I would rather focus on my game than call someone 20 strokes back for a foot fault on a hole he took a 7 on. It would have been over kill. Why ruin my mojo just to keep him in check?

I would rather focus on my game than call someone 20 strokes back for a foot fault on a hole he took a 7 on. It would have been over kill. Why ruin my mojo just to keep him in check?

To all who say they wouldn't call it for another reason, that's a different question and a different discussion, than "was it a foot fault?".

Brother Dave, stand and deliver would work because only a sliver has to be on the line of play 30cm behind your lie. Not hard to do when you stand and deliver.

I can just as easily say you raised your foot off the playing surface as you threw, who would know? If your foot isn't perfectly straddling the LoP you couldn't know if your throw has any weight shift at all.

To all who say they wouldn't call it for another reason, that's a different question and a different discussion, than "was it a foot fault?".

Yeah, this was the question I answered:

Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post

The discussion has meandered somewhat, but if you have a beef, take it up with bballr4567 who asked me the "off topic" question in the first place.

Who cares if it has meandered? That is the natural way of talking and discussions.

And yes, it is on the same line. If the pros arent calling it then how can the ams call it?

In this specific case though, Cat won in a playoff. It definitely would have mattered.

Every stroke counts, agreed.

But I also agree with RobA in that calling a foot fault on someone else affects YOUR game too. Worrying about your own game is hard enough without outside distractions and bad feelings. Maybe some people feed off that, I dunno.

And there's this to consider: The upshot where someone says "you gotta watch your feet" went OB. If Cat had been called and seconded on that upshot (assuming she hadn't been previously warned) she would have had a free do-over and saved two strokes. Just thinking about this level of gamesmanship is making my head hurt.

Latest posts