• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Arm Soreness? Tendonitis? Tennis elbow? Not healing!

ThXinc

Hello

I've been struggling with a sore elbow (RHBH thrower) since after a round about 6 weeks ago. I've been taking the anti inflamatory meds and icing the elbow at night. I've cut back on playing and when I do, I use an elbow brace. It effects my grip...I can feel the soreness all the way through the arm, from just above the elbow to just above the wrist. I have normal strength in that arm for normal angle lifting such as groceries (with palm up) but if I change the angle of my wrist like picking up a paperweight palm down, it hurts.

Has anyone else experienced this condition and how and what would be recommended for expedited rehab...without disc golf...my life is :gross:

Go see a doctor.

We are not doctors.

Don't listen to people who give out medical advice online unless their advice is: go see a doctor. :|

Stopped me cold in my tracks. I was going to speculate, but now all I can say is: Go see a doctor.

I have advices for you!

#1: untreated injuries can make permanent suck happen
#2: wait, no that's about it. I ran out of advices. Go see a doctor.

Hello

I've been struggling with a sore elbow (RHBH thrower) since after a round about 6 weeks ago. I've been taking the anti inflamatory meds and icing the elbow at night. I've cut back on playing and when I do, I use an elbow brace. It effects my grip...I can feel the soreness all the way through the arm, from just above the elbow to just above the wrist. I have normal strength in that arm for normal angle lifting such as groceries (with palm up) but if I change the angle of my wrist like picking up a paperweight palm down, it hurts.

Has anyone else experienced this condition and how and what would be recommended for expedited rehab...without disc golf...my life is :gross:

As a long time veteran of this malady, on and off, mild, severe or seemingly cured, here is my thought.

Ice, anti-inflammatories (IB) and elbow brace are all good. There are also stretches and exercises which help. The best help I have ever had was through a combination of these and a good MASSEUSE. Massage was a savior for me. Find a sports masseuse, a good one, and many current and future injuries can be fixed.

If you go to a doctor they will invariably advice rest. I'm not a big fan of rest, personally. F rest. There is plenty of time for rest in the grave. It costs the doctor nothing to advise rest. No one will criticize the doctor for advising rest (except perhaps me :) ). The doctor will not expose himself to a malpractice claim by advising rest. Screw that. I am a fan of aggressive rehab.

Great advice from the person who won't have to live with the consequences if he's wrong.

This is a, pardon, sore subject for me. I once toughed it out through a different injury, tried self-treatment and other alternatives, and ended up needing surgery and losing 2 years of my disc golf life.

Go see a doctor.

(Though I'll place a side bet that the problem is in your wrist ligaments, and stretching/rehab will be the remedy)

Hello

Great thing about the internet is that we can find a lot of information only a few clicks away. Do a search for tendonitis (I'll bet you have already) and compare the pain that you have and its location. You'll find differing advice, though the most common here in the western world is RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation).

Look around some more and you'll find people saying that ice is not helpful in the long run, that what you really need is heat to promote blood circulation. Just don't use heat when there is inflammation or your elbow may swell to the size of your leg; ice is best for inflammation. Or, that you use contrasts - ice followed by heat followed by ice followed by heat. Or, you could use some of the sports creams such as BenGay, Icy Hot, Tiger Balm, etc.; but keep digging and you'll read that these are counter-irritants that provide a different sensation to take your mind off the pain (the ol' slam your fingers in a car door and notice that your back stops hurting). I've heard nothing but good things about massage - it get the circulation going and you can do it yourself (still, a good masseuse would be nice.)

I'm dealing with the same thing. I know what caused it and when it happened ... I was trying a new form tweak to squeeze out some more distance, it worked VERY well, so well that my tendons weren't ready for it.

I'm still playing because, to be honest, it doesn't hurt to play and, in fact, my elbow feels better afterwards. What does hurt is to use thumb pressure to grip something; a firm handshake will make me wince.

Like Widdershins, I don't like to just stop cold. But, I also don't want to wind up like David with surgery and having to take two years off. So, I haven't been throwing for max D; I decided my "new secret technique" was not worth the extra distance; and, I'm *trying* to take a day or two off from throwing at all each week.

If you can afford it and have the time and patience, go see a doctor. If it doesn't seem like simple tendonitis, go see a doctor. If it gets worse, go see a doctor. If you don't know what caused it, go see a doctor. If you DO know what caused it, don't do that anymore!

In addition to the aforementioned doctor advice, I have found that going down to 150 class drivers has saved me pain and not sacrificed distance. I have been stubborn about seeing the doctor (not recommended) and have still been able to play with less pain.

Still, I can't really let it rip. Go see a doctor.

When it happened to me I quit playing for a complete season. I let it heal did the exercises the doc showed me, found a few on the internet then just basically rested it. Now I am on season two with little to no pain and can play a round and not worry about it. It took all of last year just to become comfortable with throwing and gripping. MIne was so bad though I could barely grip something. The doc said stop what your doing or surgery and from what I have read about the surgery it was something I did not want to do.

Cortisone shots are also not recommended because they only mask the problem not cure the problem.

See a physical therapist and/or orthopedic. Your normal dr ain't going to do anything but say rest.

Go to the dr.

That being said, I just went to a sports injury dr last Thursday for similar pain. I had a torn tricep, tennis elbow, and cartilage damage. He gave me 2 cortisone shots and a prescription for anti-inflammatories. He also said to go to a physical therapist. I found out Friday my health insurance doesn't cover physical therapy so I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do. He said I could start disc golf again but I need to build my arm back up to throwing speed first.

I've been throwing left handed for awhile so now I have to start all over again the right way. So maybe it's a good thing.

Doctors will tell you to rest because it works. Learn to throw lefty until your tendons heal. I've been resting my elbow(as much as a blacksmith can) for over 4 months now. In that time I've learned to throw LHBH(as well as swing a hammer lefty). My right arm is feeling better to the point where I can use it again on drives, but I've switched my grip(see Schusterick's video), which has helped and incorporated stretches to prevent further injuries. Most doctors wont even consider surgery on the elbow tendon until the patient has rested and rehabbed the elbow for as much as nine months in some cases. Rest it now and you'll be able to use it later.

Your arm will fall off shortly unless you fling a cat over your head 10 times at midnigth at full moon.

OR : go see a doctor.

Your arm will fall off shortly unless you fling a cat over your head 10 times at midnigth at full moon.

OR : go see a doctor.

I have 2 cats and no health insurance. Should I try the cat thing first?