• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Artificially beating in a disc

I like to go pick up cheap used discs from pias and thrash them(if they aren't already). Going to look for volts to intentionally beat up just in case I lose my beat eclipse. Also a good way to start a cycle if you can see where a new disc will eventually beat into

I have a box of new or backup discs in my car and when someone new wants to play, I let them use those discs. They hit enough trees, paths etc. to artificially season the disc for me. :D

I'm not a big fan of artificially beating in discs.

Same. My disc collection is expansive enough that I'm not getting new discs to fill a particular slot in the bag. So whenever I'm throwing a new disc (or even an old one that I haven't used in a while), if it doesn't fly the way I expect/want, I'll just use it for what it is, not for what I want it to be. If I need it to go through a bit of it's lifecycle before it's a viable backup for something in my bag, I'll just throw it in one of my alternate bags to make sure it gets thrown before it's needed.

I have a box of new or backup discs in my car and when someone new wants to play, I let them use those discs. They hit enough trees, paths etc. to artificially season the disc for me. :D
How is it artificial if the seasoning occurs during regular play? Do you play with androids?

:p

Bending or tuning or taco'ing the disc affects the stability making it under or over stable.

Beating/roughing/feathering up the edges of the disc decreases the drag and increases the Magnus effect like dimples on a golf ball. This is what I prefer in my discs as they fly further.

It's called tuning.

Im aware. So why does anyone use any other discs besides one putter, one mid, one fairway, and one distance driver? Bend it to desired flight path? :confused:

Or it could be that discs eventually reset back into original shape and youre literally just bending it. That doesnt have the same effect that a disc smashed into a tree 100 times has.

Im aware. So why does anyone use any other discs besides one putter, one mid, one fairway, and one distance driver? Bend it to desired flight path? :confused:

Or it could be that discs eventually reset back into original shape and youre literally just bending it. That doesnt have the same effect that a disc smashed into a tree 100 times has.
I exclusively use an Aerobie Epic. I don't mean to gloat but I've won novice several times. :|

packshot-epic2-wpcf_550x768.jpg

elmexdela is just mad b/c I bend all my discs before throwing and it doesn't really matter. you literally need to tune the hell out of most premium plastics these days b4 a change which wont shape back into place. I love bending my discs into 4 and ****ing with people on the teepad.

Attachments

• 1497569533680.jpg
    1497569533680.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 1497569566706.jpg
    1497569566706.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
i was talking about this topic at a tourney the other day and a guy brought up putting discs in a dryer and running the through a couple cycles. Haven't tried this ( mainly because I think my wife would kick my ass for it) was just wondering it anyone else has.

Great responses everyone. I can see the dg community is filled with some of the best minds of our generation.

I'd like to weigh in my two cents! Working full time and not playing as much means all the discs in my bag season much, much slower than a good friend of mine who plays +3 times a week. So I began getting factory 2nds from the innova proshop to try and get a cycle of different discs going. I've been messing around with beating discs in for quite some time now.

For most star and champ plastics, the stereotypical tuning process will remove some rigidity of the plastic (depending on how much is present in the disc, plastic, run, etc... to begin with). This will remove the teeniest bit of stability and will allow the seasoning process to happen much more quickly.

The stereotypical idea of tuning is an average way to season a disc (meaning you have to do it for stupid long...also I'm impatient so stupid long is relative). If you tune at too aggressive of an angle or hold those angles for too long in the tuning, you can bend the disc out of shape: in some cases I have found this altered the flight of the disc for less glide and abrupt changes in stability. Tuning will only mildly affect the PLH of the disc. Taco-ing can be bad because, though it mimics the the shape a disc might momentarily take from smashing into a tree, the smash into a tree is abrupt pressure vs the continuous applied pressure of taco-ing manually.

Tuning a premium plastic disc to get that carry/less stability/glide/etc... can be a headache to happen quickly. I've found the best way is to remove flashing, "tune" both up and down to remove rigidity, then throw it into trees combined with "stressing" the disc. Stressing is like very, very mild taco-ing while moving hands up and down. Imagine rubbing hands together for warmth but instead you are holding the rim with both hands bending slightly down and then moving hands vertically in opposite directions.

Also, mvp/axiom discs are stupid hard to season. I've given up trying to artificially season their putters and mids. The higher speed the mvp/axiom disc is, the easier it is to season them. I've had the best luck seasoning this one octane.

I'm currently trying to work on a max weight champ destroyer I found at PIAS. I've taco'd, tuned, smashed into trees, and literally beat it with landscaping rocks and dumbell bars. Probably a hammer would be better. I've tuned it to become a straight to fade. My armspeed is for wraiths, but a friend of mine can get it to turn a little bit. Stick with star plastic!!

I agree with this. I think if someone has a warped disc from being in a hot car or a basement or something, then it can be restored to its pre-warped condition with the treatments. But tuning to get a different flight is for the most part only going to have limited effect, which will wear off. And I say this after once trying like hell to tune a Valkryie, with total lack of success...

Sometimes artificially seasoning a golf disc doesn't give you the same effect as naturally seasoning a golf disc. For example I artificially season a champion teebird and it lost it's HSS first instead of losing its LSS like it would have if done naturally.

I put a 2' long, 4x4 on a towel in my passenger seat and use the disc as a drum stick, rotating it every so many beats. Throw it every 30 or so minutes of tapping to make sure you haven't gone further than you want.

Sometimes artificially seasoning a golf disc doesn't give you the same effect as naturally seasoning a golf disc. For example I artificially season a champion teebird and it lost it's HSS first instead of losing its LSS like it would have if done naturally.
This is what happened with my Destroyer but it's just what I wanted. Before smashing it on the bricks, it would start going left within the first 50 feet of the throw. Now it's almost perfectly straight with a good late fade.

My favorite way to season in a disc is to throw skip shots on a gravel parking lot into a stone wall. The gravel acts as a great buffering agent and by the time it hits the wall, the disc has lost enough speed to not gouge up.
I also will throw skip shots with the disc turned upside down if it is gummy plastic. The small cuts in the top help break the vacuum on release.

Latest posts