• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Asheville to Atlanta

petecarp

Par Member
Im heading to Atlanta on friday for a show (wilco show #6...superstoked). I want to hit up one course to play on my way. Im taking I-85 through greenville into atlanta. should i stop to play a course in greenville or wait until i get to atlanta to play a course. none of the courses in either area got particularly good reviews so i was wondering if there is a little gem on the way to atlanta and if not what course should i play in either greenville or atlanta?

rosewood in atlanta is supposed to be nice, and foothills in easley sc is a good course from what i hear. also gastonia nc rankin lake is a tough one

I've been wanting to hit Va-Du-Mar for a while. It would be close to your route, right off I-26.

Edit: Cooler Will beat me to it.

Foothills in Easley, SC is by far my favorite and not too far out of your way. It has a great mix of hole types, some really unique holes, and has a great mix of challenge and fun.

For a shorter course....Timmons in Greenville. For a longer course Foothills in Easley. Don't know about any courses in Atlanta. If you want a more "wide open" course Rose ln in Toccoa, Ga.

I'd suggest Val-du-Mar. Lots of elevation, mix of open and tight holes, challenging from the long tees but good from the short tees, if that's your style.

Timmons is very nice in the short-course category.

These and Foothills are all rated 3.5 discs----not 5-disc courses, but pretty good.

And....they break up the drive.

NICE -- I'll be there too (at the concert). Won't be there long enough to play any courses but just wanted to give a shout out to a fellow Wilco fan :hfive:

All I can offer you is Atlanta info and it doesn't look like much is on your way. You'd have to go pretty far off of you path to get to White Oak and the baskets for Perkerson won't be up I think. I'd suggest playing something in SC or NC. I'd probably do that either way just to break up the trip.

Yo Pete...
You could travel down to Greenville on any weekend in 1 hour (I do all the time)... don't waste your road trip stopping at a course so close to home. Definitely wait til you're further down the road and visit Greenville another weekend (I'll even go with you).
DSCJNKY

Yo Pete...
You could travel down to Greenville on any weekend in 1 hour (I do all the time)... don't waste your road trip stopping at a course so close to home. Definitely wait til you're further down the road and visit Greenville another weekend (I'll even go with you).
DSCJNKY

I will too ;)
I'm here in Greenville, and both Va-Du-Mar and Easley are great courses, as is Timmons, and even Century Park in Greer. I'm just a few minutes away from all of these and play often. You both know to find me when you get the itch to try Greenville's bounty of courses out.

I'm coming up that way on Easter weekend to Mars Hill and Richmond Hill.

(If I were to recommend one of these greats around here, it would be Va-Du-Mar. As of right now, it's just a really nice playground, and a disc golf course. That's it. So not much worry of foot traffic. A well-rounded course, good use of elevation and the landscape. )

if you are still in Atlanta tomorrow (sat the 27th) we'll have part of perkerson setup all day for a festival -- 10 of the holes will be setup from 10a-7p -- and there will be concerts, food & beer. its located downtown.

On your way or a little out of your way:

Rose Lane Toccoa, personally I think its a bit out of your way off 85 and 24 holes...do you have time?

City Beach DGC in Anderson SC is a 9 holer you can play in 30min on the way home...its right after the first rest stop coming into SC...worth hitting IMO but not as THE course

Alexander Park, Lawrenceville GA- Mix of open and woods, moderately easy, my home course. About 5mi off the interstate, take sugarloaf exit and ride it to Old Snellville Hwy, park is on left, drive through parking lot, park in gravel lot out back.

East Roswell Park, Roswell GA- Home of half of the Atlanta open, challenging tight woods, 3 tees, tough for beginners from red, tough for pros from black. Probably a 20-30min excursion off the interstate.

Perkerson, as John states will be mostly set up, a very nice setup at that, worth it if staying the night.

Latest posts