• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Astronaut 12 | 6 | -4 | 1 Understable Distance Driver

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Any hands-on experience with the Astronaut? I've only watched the few youtube demos. Seems understable, but maybe not -4 understable. A longer Essence? If it's anything like a flippy Wraith, I'm interested.

I grabbed one, with my noodle arm it was really comparable to a beat Hades

I grabbed one, with my noodle arm it was really comparable to a beat Hades

Haven't thrown a Hades, but I used to love the Z Thrasher. In the YT vids, the Astronaut doesn't seem super flippy. A beat-in Hades sounds kinda touchy. Is the A usable, or a novelty?

I could use it and come to think of it may not have been as touchy as the Hades but at my power it isn't too much an issue.

I do forehand the Hades and the Astronaut wasn't as comfortable there for me.

Good for me, flippy high speed drivers are no longer tempting. Tried a bunch of them and a Roadrunner goes just as far with better control for me.

Good for me, flippy high speed drivers are no longer tempting. Tried a bunch of them and a Roadrunner goes just as far with better control for me.

You tried a bunch of them? Any to let go of?
ck0XO8u.jpg

So I picked up an Astronaut today, and it's a guilty pleasure kind of disc. I've been looking for a longer Essence flight. This Astronaut has lots of dome, but not the full soup bowl like the first run I saw. It's a 60% power (of my weak power) throw disc. I only had time for a few holes, so time will tell. Also, it's already been run over by a car, so that didn't take but a couple of hours… on the upside, that throw was 20' long and 50' right of a hole I can't drive normally.

Astronaut

Finally tried one of these today. C line plastic (or whatever Discmania calls it). Unknown weight, but feels 170g or higher.

Interesting disc. Very low PLH. Dome is average. Even holding the Astronaut you can tell it's going to be flippy... and it is. My first throw with this disc was an accidental roller that went about 500'.

I found that I needed to throw with a LOT of hyzer to keep the Astronaut from flipping violently. The disc has a very low power threshold. I figure anything over 300' will be enough to turn it pretty easily.

Once I figured out the amount of hyzer to throw with I had a couple fairly impressive shots with the Astronaut. The disc is fast, very glidey, and gets downrange with ease. Assuming you can keep the Astronaut flat it'll go over 450' relatively easily.

Given flight numbers for the Astronaut are 12, 6, -4, 1. I'd agree with them. The disc is very flippy, glidey, and has little late fade. If/when you turn the Astronaut over it just keeps drifting right and won't attempt to come back late. The Astronaut is a good roller disc, and you can get it on its edge without a ton of effort.

Would I bag this disc? No. Even for understable use the Astronaut is too flippy. This is a disc made for noodle arms who want to maximize what little power they have. The Astronaut reminds me of a Destiny or Captain, but even flippier. Anyone with 350'+ max power should avoid the Astronaut unless they want it for rollers or other crazy anny shots.

Make no mistake, this disc will soar. Hit it just right and the Astronaut is as long as anything out there. Just too finicky to be of any use on a course. Fun to mess with in an open field.

Ya, I didnt think I had a purpose for this disc until I threw it 350 from an awkward standstill.

The number of times I want to throw real far but run up is not available is > 0, so the Astronaut stays in the bag for utility.

I actually havent tried full powering it. I dont imagine good things, but it might be baller for cut rollers from what I'm hearing. :)

Would I bag this disc? No. Even for understable use the Astronaut is too flippy. This is a disc made for noodle arms who want to maximize what little power they have

This made me think of a question for you. What do you throw in a down wind(10+mph) wide open max distance situation?

I found one in glow champion style plastic in the woods. They are manufactured by Yikun I believe. The plastic is pretty hard but comfortable and the rim is almost too wide to grip it properly. Flightwise it flies like a beat up AvengerSS in baseline plastic if not a tad more understable. It is uselessy US, even for a roller, and I just throw about 300 feet. For noodle-arms the speed is way too high as it makes it difficult to control the thing when you throw it too slow for a speed 12 disc. The only use I see is if you want to make a max speed driver flip without the proper arm speed.

This made me think of a question for you. What do you throw in a down wind(10+mph) wide open max distance situation?

Usually an Excite or somewhat beat champion Feldberg Boss. Both are on the flippy side, but will come back late in flight.

I've also messed with Katanas and Hades' for those shots.

I don't mind a disc that turns a lot, but I want it to fade back some late in flight. The Astronaut goes right and stays there.

I found one in glow champion style plastic in the woods. They are manufactured by Yikun I believe. The plastic is pretty hard but comfortable and the rim is almost too wide to grip it properly. Flightwise it flies like a beat up AvengerSS in baseline plastic if not a tad more understable. It is uselessy US, even for a roller, and I just throw about 300 feet. For noodle-arms the speed is way too high as it makes it difficult to control the thing when you throw it too slow for a speed 12 disc. The only use I see is if you want to make a max speed driver flip without the proper arm speed.

Yeah, my main problem with the Astronaut is that it has such a narrow speed window for effective performance. The margin between a hyzer stall and being completely flipped over is minuscule for this disc.

Nuke SSs are very similar. As soon as you get it fast enough to turn it just dive bombs right. Everything short of that stalls out hyzer.

The biggest problem with the Astronaut is that no two seem to be the same.
The inconsistency seems to be an issue with all the AP drivers, Astronaut, Majesty and the Mentor, as well as the Genius. Those are the ones I've thrown.

The Mentor has become one of my favorites. It van be thrown on hyzer with 375' of power and it flips up, glides right, but fades slightly. Love it. The Astronaut didn't make the bag, but the Mentor does. Hopefully a DD1 will eventually get to that flight.

Astronaut

OK, after what I saw today I feel the need to come back on here and briefly discuss the Astronaut again.

I threw a different one today that was yellow. The one I threw prior is blue. No weights listed on either of them. Blue Astronaut was on the flatter side, while the yellow one is very domey. The yellow one is made of clear, stiff plastic while the blue is gummy and a bit opaque.

Both are flippy AF, but the yellow is undeniably better. What an incredible flier. I've never seen such easy 450' shots in my life. Ripping the yellow Astronaut hyzer it would immediately pop up and bolt forward. The real trick was to keep it from drifting right or dive bombing into the ground (both of which happened multiple times).

I know I said it before, but I'll say it again... for 300'-400' throwers this thing could easily be the longest disc you'll ever throw. I maxed out at probably 470' with it today... and I feel like I could have gone even further. The only thing limiting the Astronaut is its sheer understability. All the throws I really leaned into turned over no matter how much hyzer I put them on. In the field today this Astronaut was whizzing right by discs like a Crank SS, Shryke, and Daedalus. Even on throws that didn't feel great the Astronaut would be as far (or further) than the others.

The Astronaut won't tolerate even a hint of a breeze headwind. A slight breeze downwind is when the magic really happens.

Now, this is still not probably a disc I'd ever use on the course. With the Astronaut you don't know what zip code the thing will end up in. I will say it's a stunningly long flier. My next, ultimate distance test for it will be against a G* Corvette, which is consistently the longest thing I throw. The Astronaut is deceptively fast, and it has a super floaty flight. The 6 glide is legit.

OK, after what I saw today I feel the need to come back on here and briefly discuss the Astronaut again.

I threw a different one today that was yellow. The one I threw prior is blue. No weights listed on either of them. Blue Astronaut was on the flatter side, while the yellow one is very domey. The yellow one is made of clear, stiff plastic while the blue is gummy and a bit opaque.

Interesting.

I think I'm throwing a pink one for standstills. It doesnt have much fight at the end.

Someone sent me a blue one and I remember not liking it. I got a yellow one that's exactly as you describe as a bonus disc from an order that I havent thrown yet.

I might have to take them to the field and try really throwing them.

There was a brand new looking Astronaut at play it again for 10 bucks, and the numbers were just too silly to pass up.

I'm in Colorado Springs, and this thing flies exactly as the numbers are written, even up this high. Absolutely the most ridiculous thing Ive ever thrown and Im totally going to use it for some things that will probably not go my way, but if they do oh man lol.

Latest posts