• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

At the basket.

Team_Vod

I have found a 4 year thread about drop in vs put in at the basket. The thread more or less argues that a player should never have a drop in and it should always be a throw or toss in. I have tired to decypher what the rules say about it and cannot find anything that is real clear on this.

Here is a scenario my wife and I encounter every time we have played:

Keep in mind we are both newbies developing out technique. We throw toward/at the basket. The disc either misses and hits the pole below, under the basket or bounces off of the basket and lands on the ground, just below. My wife and I have just been picking up the discs and dropping them in.

During competition play is this legal? Or is there a certain distance we have to step back to constitute a throw vs a drop in? If so, does it count as a stroke?

Dropping the disc into the basket is perfectly fine. The rules stipulate the disc must be released and come to rest in the target to be considered holed out. Dropping the disc in fits that criteria.

You can "drop it in" whenever in range. But, you cannot pick up a disc without a mini placed in front of your last thrown disc. Alternatively, you can drop in another disc into the basket and then pick up your lie or previously thrown disc.

You can "drop it in" whenever in range. But, you cannot pick up a disc without a mini placed in front of your last thrown disc. Alternatively, you can drop in another disc into the basket and then pick up your lie or previously thrown disc.

:confused:

So you mean if my disc is under the basket, because I missed it and it hit the pole below and is on the ground directly beneath the basket, I cannot pick it up from under the basket and just drop it in? And I must either drop in another disk from a standing position along the edge of the basket, or if I want to use the disc under it, place a marker disc to drop in the one under the basket?

So you mean if my disc is under the basket, because I missed it and it hit the pole below and is on the ground directly beneath the basket, I cannot pick it up from under the basket and just drop it in? And I must either drop in another disk from a standing position along the edge of the basket, or if I want to use the disc under it, place a marker disc to drop in the one under the basket?

Yes.

In a tournament...yes. Rules require that your lie is marked for every throw you make other than tee shots, including drop-ins. The lie can be marked either by leaving the thrown disc on the ground where it landed (and throwing from behind it) or by replacing the thrown disc with a mini. 802.03 Marking the Lie and 802.04 Throwing from a Stance

In a casual round, it's up to you whether you want to mark or not. Formal rules don't have to apply at all if you don't want them to.

But if you are playing tournaments on a regular basis, it is not a bad idea to get in the habit of playing like you are in a tournament during casual rounds so that it is all natural when tournament time comes around.

But if you are playing tournaments on a regular basis, it is not a bad idea to get in the habit of playing like you are in a tournament during casual rounds so that it is all natural when tournament time comes around.

:hfive:

People look at me funny when I'm playing a causal round and I use my mini instead of flipping the disc. And the above is always my response. Bad habits are easy to form, and hard to break.

:hfive:

People look at me funny when I'm playing a causal round and I use my mini instead of flipping the disc. And the above is always my response. Bad habits are easy to form, and hard to break.

Better now than when you play your first tournament and everyone in your group starts telling you the rule.

Throw in, drop in, set in -- just remember to demonstrate balance even on those short ones. It would suck to get called for a falling putt on a gimmie!

Throw in, drop in, set in -- just remember to demonstrate balance even on those short ones. It would suck to get called for a falling putt on a gimmie!

I get that his point was no matter how you put the biscuit in basket, you need to maintain balance to avoid foot faulting, but, just to clarify...

I'm pretty sure that you can't "set" a disc in the basket, because the rules state you must release it.

Perhaps semantics, but throwing and dropping involve releasing the object.
Setting an object down implies one doesn't let go of the object until it has been placed in or on something.

Again, no one will say squat in a casual round, but in a sanctioned event, you must release the disc.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I get that his point was no matter how you put the biscuit in basket, you need to maintain balance to avoid foot faulting, but, just to clarify...

I'm pretty sure that you can't "set" a disc in the basket, because the rules state you must release it.

Perhaps semantics, but throwing and dropping involve releasing the object.
Setting an object down implies one doesn't let go of the object until it has been placed in or on something.

Again, no one will say squat in a casual round, but in a sanctioned event, you must release the disc.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As long as you break contact with the disc and the disc ends up at rest in the basket, it doesn't really matter if it is "thrown", "dropped" or "set" there. The intention is to put the disc in the basket, and that's all that matters.

As long as you break contact with the disc and the disc ends up at rest in the basket, it doesn't really matter if it is "thrown", "dropped" or "set" there. The intention is to put the disc in the basket, and that's all that matters.

JC, once again, is spot on. The typical routine for a lot of pros is to set the disc in the basket, then pick up the lie, then remove the disc from basket.