• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Auditioning New Discs

lxdawg25

Par Member
How do you all audition new discs. I'm mainly interested in putters, but am interested in all discs really.

I have a new putter and it feels pretty good, but I'm not really sure if it's better or not. I took putts with each one during my last round, and they came out dead even. Would like a way to objectivly say this is the best disc, but curious how you all decide which disc you want to throw, other than just picking that is.

What was your old Putter and your new putter?

Last edited:
for putters if you are making roughly the same number of putts with both I would say it comes done to which feels better, or if you are a minimalist which you are more comfortable driving and approaching with as well as putting

take 100 putts from each.. 10-15-20-25-30-35 feet

For putters? I drive with them to see the differences first. The I do upshots with them in rounds.

For putting I feel them in my hand, see if they meet my specifications, and then putt with them at 15', 30', and then just far. The every 5 feet stuff works when practicing after you've decided you like a putter.

I have been testing putters in my basement this off season and have actually switched putters because of this. What I did was set up marks at distances from 10 to 30 feet at 5 foot differences. I took all the putters in a stack and started putting with them. If I missed a putt with one and made it with the next putter the swaped places in the stack. At the end of each session I would take notes on where they were in the stack. Next time I practiced I would start with the stack flipped figuring the best putter would work its way up. There has been one clear winner. There is also the issue of feel though I have not felt like any of the putters in this test felt bad in my hand. This is really complex but it has worked for me.

As for other discs, I like taking them across the street to the park with a big open field and throwing them along with supposedly similar discs that I already throw. I will do this a couple of times to make sure that it isn't just the day that I am doing this. But I have switched discs in and out because of simply testing them and finding that I like one disc better than the other or that they are similar enough or not to warrent the change. I find when I try and throw the same shot back to back with different discs I get a good feel for what each disc is capable of.

Practice. Just throw all "candidates" in the field or putt with them and go with what feels comfortable. If it's 50/50, you can't be wrong.

Play games of DISC with your friends. Let everyone have 2 putts with 2 putters.

i will bring 1-3 new discs out for a round and throw them as funsies on the first few holes and then see where they might go nicely and throw them on those shots

The biggest difference you'll see from putters is on drives and approaches. The next biggest difference will be for putts outside of your high percentage make range and in the wind. If you're just comparing them by making putts that you're normally comfortable with you probably won't see much of a difference.