• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Austin Form Journey

Alright, focus on slowing down this time. Compared to my last post, this seems and felt a little more fluid. Last post, especially the disc, looks very herky-jerky in hindsight.

Kinda just messing around in these videos.

Looking better. Something gets a little funky when you lift your head up and it starts turns excessively back and forth. Your head shouldn't turn back 180 degrees from target, only like 135, kind of matching the rear foot angle(and front foot angle going forward) and the shoulder should swing back underneath the chin. Your chin is turned too far back so your shoulder isn't swinging underneath it and so everything goes too far back around without loading back against something.

Your stance is too perpendicular with both feet ll. They should be splayed out into a more diagonal stance /\ like a speed skater, note my stance in Reciprocating Dingle Arm and Battering Ram. The front foot should start turned open around 30-45 degrees and only turn back to 90 if your backswing pulls it back enough along with the pelvis.

Fixed up my stance a little bit and trying to focus more on the "feel". I'm starting to feel more weight into the downswing of the disc/hammer which kinda carries over the front of and slightly past my plant foot.

I've tried throwing a bit with elephant walk and OLD. Still not really getting the hang of elephant walk I don't think. Transferring the hanging swing plane into a throw has been awkward to me - I think I'm still wanting to pull straight

Your swing is very controlled and rigid/tight, instead of free wheeling. Toward the end of the first two it started to look better getting a little looser, but still kind of weak.

Need to either swing your hand with a bigger burst of acceleration to pull your body, and/or swing something heavier to feel it pull on your shoulder socket thru the lat and swing it loose and fluid and long moving your CoG in yingyang with it.

In Ewalk the swing should pull your trailing foot into the next step, and next step pull your swing. Your steps and swing appear to have no connection or pulled taut to each other.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134415

Last edited:
o/ I'm back. Been a bit busy, but trying to get back in the swing of things. I'm still having issues throwing over my front knee. I'm still not quite sure if I'm getting the dingle arm/elephant walk drills correctly. It looks like I've started leaning over in my "reach back" - aka tilting my spine towards the back of the tee pad. I suspect that in an attempt to throw and get my weight to my front leg, I'm having to overcompensate causing me to tilt my spine towards the front of the tee pad.

Your ewalk is swinging way too fast/hard, should be more relaxed and effortless, feeling the swing pull you away from target and to target. It looks like all your swings are directed downward instead of just falling with gravity like a pendulum and then directing the swing horizontal and slightly upward out to the target.
UpwNtYj.png

Your ewalk is swinging way too fast/hard, should be more relaxed and effortless, feeling the swing pull you away from target and to target. It looks like all your swings are directed downward instead of just falling with gravity like a pendulum and then directing the swing horizontal and slightly upward out to the target.
UpwNtYj.png

You got a video of you tossing that sledgehammer?

Resurrecting this thread if that's ok...

Trying to get back in the swing of things and dedicate a couple days a week to improving form.

Here are three standstills mainly focused on my weight shift and getting the swing going from the ground up. I definitely see myself tilted maybe too much over my back foot. Third throw I was experimenting with a more compact throwing arm. Swing plane is still pretty flat.

Not a ton of progress I don't think.

First throw is a downward swing plane, really just trying to get more of a golf like shift and orientation

Second throw trying to lift that plane up

Third and fourth I was trying to get off the back foot a bit more - was playing around with "speed skaters" leading up to these throws

Fifth is a dry-throw followed by the throw... left this in because the dry-throw seems ok?...Throw is obviously a bit different.

Six and seven are some x-steps, just trying it out.

Looks like you are trying to shift your mass instead of pressure. Your feet are spinning out on the ground.

Also suspect your shoulder is swinging behind your knee toward right teeside instead of swinging out wide to the left over the knee/hip like battering ram.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132910

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 1.00.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 1.00.33 PM.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 77
Trying to work on both shifting pressure as opposed to weight as well as a more inward swing. Additionally from that thread, I tried to keep my arm loose through the backswing and get tighter through my swing like with a hammer. Feels like I'm seeing some progress... Throwing a judge/pure/reactors - I got some reactors out to 330' or so. Lots of nose up today.

First four throws are from the side - last is with an x-step but you can kinda see the inward swing a bit better.

Thanks again for all the help.

Try keeping front heel on ground while toes go up, so you shift more diagonal back into rear heel. You are too over your rear toes in your backswing.
giphy.gif

Finally had a chance to get out this morning. 3 standstills/3 x-steps. I feel like something clicked this session... I started to feel more like I was slinging the disc as opposed to throwing it. I feel like my throwing axis is a bit more tilted and I feel like I'm starting to feel the forces a bit... Not exactly sure but something did feel different today.

Some throws were better than others and unfortunately as soon as I was feeling a difference I kinda lost it.

First one looked the best - where your front foot barely moved. The rest you start striding too leftward.

Think about staggering from the rear foot, instead of the front foot. So setup on front foot and then walk your rear foot back diagonally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWasFdvnGio#t=6m5s

Working on keeping the front foot a little more in control. Not sure I caught in on camera, but on a few of these I started to feel the somewhat downward shift in my front foot that feels more like a baseball/golf swing.

All but the last shot is from behind - still pulling my shoulder and rotating past my front foot quite a bit.