• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Austin Form Journey

The lead arm swing is looking good. The rear arm/leg not so much. Your rear hip/CoG drifts too far back and rear arm cranks back around your back/posterior to compensate for your hips shifting forward too late. See "the move" "hogan power move" "buttwipe" or "re-centering".

Note how my rear hip moves counter cw while moving/shifting targetward early in the backswing and my rear arm stays more in front of my body/anterior, and my front foot stride straight forward a couple inches.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139973
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133543

attachment.php

Attachments

• austin ss late shift .jpg
    austin ss late shift .jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Trying to keep everything in check as a I try to work on the hips a bit - I feel like my hip motion looks decent(?) but something still feels off - I'm often still compressed in forward swing or hit. One thing I noticed is that my front foot often doesn't really maintain any firm contact to the ground - spinning out on the edge of my foot.

First few are from the side, last two from behind.

You need to stride your front foot forward if you are going to stride your hips that much.

...if you are going to stride your hips that much.

Is this related to the forward stride? Or does the rear stride affect the forward stride directly? I'm trying to understand if this is a biomechanics issue - to be honest this felt a little awkward and compact, but I've definitely had "horse stance" issues in the past. Is a larger stride ok as long as the hips are coming along? I assume there's a limit, I guess I'm just trying to understand that balance.

To elaborate on "biomechanics issue" I moreso meant "am I trying to artificially compact a more natural and efficient form?"

Didn't have much time this week - played around with a wider stance keeping my feet planted vs starting shoulder width and adding a small stride. I feel like some bad habits crept back in. Of course I didn't catch my best throws on film, but I got a Pure out to probably 320'-ish... which is a good 20-30' further than normal. On a couple of these it was the first time I _really_ felt a brace in my forward leg. Hard to describe because it was kinda fleeting - but I felt like I had a bit more lag in my backswing, transition to the plant where I felt the force through my leg, to the throw. I was pulling a couple of these right, but it felt like a more powerful swing.

You are planting too backward on front foot toes and then spinning on way down to heel. You want a more lateral plant leg, so your plant leg lands in joint alignment /. Your knee is landing way behind your hip because how far it's turned back.

Do some reverse strides, start in as wide a stance as possible and rock back and forth.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3823117&postcount=384

Been working on the wide stance from the video you posted recently. I think I'm getting a bit better lead leg posture. I still feel like my arm is a bit too active.

The last 2 on this are more of a standstill, starting in a more neutral stance.

1. Turn your rear foot further back away about 20-30 degrees and bend your knees more starting in wide stance.

2. Left arm is out of control and going posterior behind back. Keep your left elbow near your hip and anterior, let scap retract and the lower arm swing out/up while elbow stays more down/in.

3. You keep retracting/dorsiflexing your front foot and landing flat footed and losing torque with a double clutch where your foot re-lifts and goes forward before planting. When you push off front foot/plantar flex/extend it should remain plantar flexed/hanging/extended and land like landing from a jump toes first.

From point 3 - is this kinda the point at which what you're referring to?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 18-01-02 08 16 2022 Form HD 1080p.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-16 at 18-01-02 08 16 2022 Form HD 1080p.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 7
Not really, but kind of.

I'm talking about when your front foot is airborne.

From point 3 - is this kinda the point at which what you're referring to?

^ You might need to consciously focus on plantar flexion - consciously pushing from the front leg to help you get into the backswing. Then the plant step lands in the opposite pattern to lead the swing.

Not really, but kind of.

I'm talking about when your front foot is airborne.

Ah, I see - I understand the double clutch now, highlighted in the picture. With my novice eye, I am seeing a couple issues potentially causing this... My off arm is elongating my backswing it seems - when my stance is most closed off, that arm is still rotating backward possibly preventing my foot from wanting to plant. The knee bend seems a bit related as well, making my actual point of contact with the ground further away than a straight leg. The knee bend also seems to prevent my plant from having full power as my leg rotates outward it forces my plant foot to be on a knife's edge.

You might need to consciously focus on plantar flexion - consciously pushing from the front leg to help you get into the backswing.

Hm, ok I see - I'll have to go out and play around with this but I think I'm more so letting my swing carry my weight back as opposed to pushing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 10-28-33 08 16 2022 Form HD 1080p.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-08-17 at 10-28-33 08 16 2022 Form HD 1080p.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 3
Hm, ok I see - I'll have to go out and play around with this but I think I'm more so letting my swing carry my weight back as opposed to pushing.

Defer if SW22 disagrees, but I now think of it as one connected move so it's kind of both. The upper body part is helping get the weight back and up, and the front foot is helping complete that action with plantar flexion.

Latest posts