• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Average Courses that have a Must Play Hole

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I am getting laid off soon. Yay Economy! and am planning some trips. This site has helped me to weed out the less spectacular courses from the must plays......I would like to know if there are any average to sub par courses that have maybe one or two killer holes that standout and make playing these lower rated courses worthwhile...I love standout holes and would prefer to play a bad course with a memorable hole or two over an overall average/solid course. I don't want to drive past any amazing holes for lack of knowledge.....I don't care what part of the country either. Please submit the course and hole number and a pic if you can. Describe the hole if you can thanks!

Harry Myers #3 - Amazing epic hole that in the last year I scored my only 8 on. Impressive hole to par 5.
Snow Farm #10 - Not as good as the other two listed, but epic for the course. Overlooks all of the hill country and listed at 1000'
Circle C Metro Park @ Slaughter Creek #18 - Probably the biggest monster hole I've ever played. Looks amazing since it has been redone and you'll feel lucky to score a 5.

Not that epic holes have to be long monsters or insanely hard - these were just the first three that sprung to mind.

Not sure I clarified was looking for average courses with lower ratings that have gem holes........I don't want to miss a great hole due to a low course rating...Thanks all!

Good idea for a thread if we can get some ideas in here that fit the bill. I like the hotlinks to the courses too.

I love hole 8 at Terramont, hole 7 at Northside Church, holes 4, 8, and 11 at Brushy Creek, hole 6 at Miramar Park and hole 4 (alt tee) at Bear Branch. Most of these holes are in the Houston area,with Brushy being in Austin and none of these courses are rated above a 3, but all these holes are great.

Horizons Park-Winston-Salem, NC.
Oldest course in NC is short and outdated, but with a beautiful grove-park stand of majestic oaks.
Has #14 aka "The barn hole".

Pride Park in Northern KY is a bit overgrown and hard to play at times, but hole #3 involves maybe the only "graveyard shot" in existance.

#15 at River Grove in Kingwood, TX. The hole goes out 50ft and the fairway makes a 90 degree turn, and its another 220+ feet to the basket. Here is the hole:

15isapaininthebutt.jpg

In terms of great shots on an average course... I'm going to say Roosevelt Park in Albuquerque NM has the best bang for your buck. Probably the best average course I have played in terms of really quality shots. Holes 3, 4, 15, 16... hard to remember the rest... its a blur now. So much confusion at that course with all the shared baskets, but some excelent shots.
DSCJNKY

KOA Campground in Willits, CA.

15 and 18 are really cool holes. I like 4 long too.

The one that comes to mind is 6 red and 7 white at Newport News.

The 6 red has become the signature basket here and is worthy of any course.

Seven white gets more complaints because it allows no mistakes. If you do event the better players will have a hard time.

KOA Campground in Willits, CA.

15 and 18 are really cool holes. I like 4 long too.

I agree with this course too and these holes too. 15 is an exceptionally great hole, and 18 is a cool top of the world shot for an average course. Willits KOA has a few gems for holes and wonderful scenery too.
DSCJNKY

Last edited:
cant you go diagonally to the right or is that a mando?

You can go diagonally, but is a small hole to hit. I have seen most guys throw a high anny, and bring it down in the fairway. Anyway you play it, its the hardest hole on the course.