• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

I'm with 3Putt, I definitely pick up Grid Aviars because of the stamp. :D

That's interesting, I need to throw a new Grid Aviar and P&A side by side to see, but out of the box, I've never noticed a difference in flight.

Is there a difference in the actual mold?

i thought there were true classic ones that were straight with the grid stamp

and i thought some new pna were classic stamped but still truly a pna mold
It's the same mold, just a different blend of DX plastic. The difference in flight is really dependent on how the different blends mold up, which is tricky. For a bit all the Classics I came across felt just like a PandA and the ones I bought flew just like a PandA. So really it's a subtle, subtle difference. Somebody at my skill level will have a really hard time noticing it.

Really, honestly...unless you are a high-level 950+ Advanced player or above you should pick the stamp you like. :| They are really close.

It's the same mold, just a different blend of DX plastic. The difference in flight is really dependent on how the different blends mold up, which is tricky. For a bit all the Classics I came across felt just like a PandA and the ones I bought flew just like a PandA. So really it's a subtle, subtle difference. Somebody at my skill level will have a really hard time noticing it.

Really, honestly...unless you are a high-level 950+ Advanced player or above you should pick the stamp you like. :| They are really close.

thats interesting

thank you for clearing that up

never know with innova

Welp this explains everything! :hfive:

We probably aren't that far off distance wise, so this gives me better insight.

Weird. Classics are the only Aviars that ever felt even remotely comfortable to me. All the other molds feel deeper in hand. I must be wearing stamp goggles.

In all fairness, I buy my Wizards in pairs because there's always one that feels and flies just a little better, even if they're from the same run.

I'm with 3Putt, I definitely pick up Grid Aviars because of the stamp. :D

That's interesting, I need to throw a new Grid Aviar and P&A side by side to see, but out of the box, I've never noticed a difference in flight.

Is there a difference in the actual mold?
I spent a lot of time on this several years ago testing them with a lot of throws and trying to eliminate the user-error throws from my decision. At that moment in time the plastic feel was noticeable; the Classic was stiffer with more of a KC Pro grip, the PandA was softer with a tackier grip. So with the discs I was throwing side by side, they seemed different in the hand and I noticed I could snap off a straighter drive with the Classic if I hit it right. I didn't hit it right all that often, so most of the time they flew the same.

Later on I gave those Classics away because I was throwing Wizards and never going back to Aviars. :| Right. So then when I realized I was an idiot and bought new Classics they felt to me just like a PandA. The plastic really didn't give me a noticeably different vibe. It felt (and flew) like the same disc to me.

If all I had ever thrown were these Classic Aviars I have now, I'd be singing the same tune you are. I really didn't notice any difference.

I spent a lot of time on this several years ago testing them with a lot of throws and trying to eliminate the user-error throws from my decision. At that moment in time the plastic feel was noticeable; the Classic was stiffer with more of a KC Pro grip, the PandA was softer with a tackier grip. So with the discs I was throwing side by side, they seemed different in the hand and I noticed I could snap off a straighter drive with the Classic if I hit it right. I didn't hit it right all that often, so most of the time they flew the same.

Later on I gave those Classics away because I was throwing Wizards and never going back to Aviars. :| Right. So then when I realized I was an idiot and bought new Classics they felt to me just like a PandA. The plastic really didn't give me a noticeably different vibe. It felt (and flew) like the same disc to me.

If all I had ever thrown were these Classic Aviars I have now, I'd be singing the same tune you are. I really didn't notice any difference.

I'm slowly converting back to Aviars. The Pandemic and some bad back issues kept me sidelined for months and when I got back out to the course my throw and timing were **** and I couldn't stop griplocking and torquing Wizards over into Neverland. So I finally swallowed my pride, and slowed down my form and grabbed a couple of Aviars and re-taught myself how to throw putters with a fan-style grip. Rocs and Comets have made a reappearance too.

Aviars just fly really well at low power, plus there was a mental hangup of throwing Wizards. Everytime I got on a teebox, I was like, I wonder where this Wizard will go today. :|

It's been a fun couple of weeks. :|

I'm slowly converting back to Aviars. The Pandemic and some bad back issues kept me sidelined for months and when I got back out to the course my throw and timing were **** and I couldn't stop griplocking and torquing Wizards over into Neverland. So I finally swallowed my pride, and slowed down my form and grabbed a couple of Aviars and re-taught myself how to throw putters with a fan-style grip. Rocs and Comets have made a reappearance too.

Aviars just fly really well at low power, plus there was a mental hangup of throwing Wizards. Everytime I got on a teebox, I was like, I wonder where this Wizard will go today. :|

It's been a fun couple of weeks. :|
I did that with APX's. It's just a really nice low-power disc. I threw them for the better part of a year and a 1/2. The minute I realized that my arm had healed enough to throw Wizards and Aviars, I ditched them.

tl;dr: Need any APX?

I did that with APX's. It's just a really nice low-power disc. I threw them for the better part of a year and a 1/2. The minute I realized that my arm had healed enough to throw Wizards and Aviars, I ditched them.

tl;dr: Need any APX?

Oh yeah, I remember that bag update. I've only ever held an APX, it felt similar to a Magnet, but with a bead, or bead like? It's been a minute.

Shockingly, my accuracy has gone up and the distance I'm losing really hasn't mattered too much lol :D

I play with a dude that putts with a soft X APX. He is deadly with it.
I met up with BogeyNoMore at a course while I was using them. He was excited to see another guy using the APX. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was going to ditch it as soon as I was physically able to throw another disc. :|

So Philo putts/approaches with a classic aviar right? Is this a roc, or does he just have sick touch to get a classic aviar to fade out like this?

https://youtu.be/aXeGr4nYrq8

Starts at 2:44 in case the link doesn't go right to it

He released that on hyzer and his putting stroke doesn't have enough speed to straighten the flight. It's not out of the question that he threw an Aviar Classic.

He released that on hyzer and his putting stroke doesn't have enough speed to straighten the flight. It's not out of the question that he threw an Aviar Classic.

Yeah, good call. I was thinking it was windy as well but the flags actually weren't moving much. I love that in this day and age of everyone bagging super beefy putters and mids, Philo just throws classic aviars, dx Rocs, and occasionally breaks out a champ Roc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So Philo putts/approaches with a classic aviar right? Is this a roc, or does he just have sick touch to get a classic aviar to fade out like this?

https://youtu.be/aXeGr4nYrq8

Starts at 2:44 in case the link doesn't go right to it

Looks like one of the pink Aviars he was using as a main putter earlier this year. Recently saw him putting with a white one. Pink one is probably seasoned to have more glide for long putts. I move my Classic Aviars into different roles as they wear in. They are a very neutral disc and can be more stable than expected. Even when worn in quite a bit they can still hold a hyzer for some distance. I have one in my bag that looks thrashed, but won't really flip unless I throw it >225' or so, or into wind. Helps me clean up my FH form too.

Do I need to find another thread to bump to talk about the Classic Aviar, or are you P&A guys cool with it?

Ever since coming back to discing after my back and quarantine, I've been putting/throwing a Classis Aviar and really love how it's breaking in. It and my #3 Roc have really been re-teaching me how to play disc golf and in a good way.

Latest posts