• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

Do I need to find another thread to bump to talk about the Classic Aviar, or are you P&A guys cool with it?

Ever since coming back to discing after my back and quarantine, I've been putting/throwing a Classis Aviar and really love how it's breaking in. It and my #3 Roc have really been re-teaching me how to play disc golf and in a good way.

No one has seemed to mind the Classic Aviar talk here.

I want to start a thread for people whose bag consists of:

Classic Aviar
Roc
Teebird

Don't even really need a bag. I've become one of those guys carrying discs in my hand, playing rounds with my dog by my side.

Aviar p&a

I prefer:
DX Aviar PandA
DX Roc
DX EagleX (or sometimes a premium Eagle for certain courses)

This is exactly what I roll with. I add a Rhyno and a Banshee if its windy. No bag just towel and water bottle. Actually went out with my "full" bag today and found myself annoyed at all the extra discs lol

This is exactly what I roll with. I add a Rhyno and a Banshee if its windy. No bag just towel and water bottle. Actually went out with my "full" bag today and found myself annoyed at all the extra discs lol

Rhyno is the first disc or second disc I'dd add to "the big three." Depends on the course.

this winter and pandemic I've been playing a lot more glow rounds and bagged two glow P&A's for putting with my glow bag. I normally putt with P-P2 and the switch was easy/seamless.

I did go through a P&A stage and loved them, except for the deep middle of summer when they would get soft. Also I liked newer fresher ones when they had a bit more stability and stiffness (I have a spin putt and weirdly like stiffer slicker plastic for the spin putt for some reason). I think the winter has made me like the P&A again because DX plastic is naturally stiffer slicker with colder temps.

with the recent discmania ideology shift (discmania having supply issues and probably making most of their lineup trilogy made) I might go back to P&A's or even classic aviars to get that stiffness that i like with my putting putters.

this winter and pandemic I've been playing a lot more glow rounds and bagged two glow P&A's for putting with my glow bag. I normally putt with P-P2 and the switch was easy/seamless.

I did go through a P&A stage and loved them, except for the deep middle of summer when they would get soft. Also I liked newer fresher ones when they had a bit more stability and stiffness (I have a spin putt and weirdly like stiffer slicker plastic for the spin putt for some reason). I think the winter has made me like the P&A again because DX plastic is naturally stiffer slicker with colder temps.

with the recent discmania ideology shift (discmania having supply issues and probably making most of their lineup trilogy made) I might go back to P&A's or even classic aviars to get that stiffness that i like with my putting putters.

If you like the P2, Millennium just came out with the Omega 4. It's basically a P2 in stiff glow DX plastic (they call it Lunar DT). I just saw them in stock at disc golf center

If you like the P2, Millennium just came out with the Omega 4. It's basically a P2 in stiff glow DX plastic (they call it Lunar DT). I just saw them in stock at disc golf center

thanks man!

i do like to bag discs that are in full production (never limited run) and readily available. also i like the cheapest alternative so thats why I gravitated towards P&A back in the day and P2's were widely available until recently.

I am possibly planning to sell off all my P2's if Discmania really does mostly shift towards trilogy made discs.

thanks man!

i do like to bag discs that are in full production (never limited run) and readily available. also i like the cheapest alternative so thats why I gravitated towards P&A back in the day and P2's were widely available until recently.

I am possibly planning to sell off all my P2's if Discmania really does mostly shift towards trilogy made discs.
I'm not busting on you here, just questioning.

If you have a bunch of P2's already, do you really need to worry? I just had this conversation with a local player who was saying the same thing as you; she has two P2's in the bag and five backups. To me that like 30+ years worth of putters.

Putters last; I got a good 12+ years out of three DX Aviars and they only came out of the bag when I switched to Wizards. I was just looking at my Warlock stash (my current putter) and realized that I'm still putting my original one eight years later and I'm never going to live long enough to throw all these Warlocks.

So if you have backup P2's already, should you even really be worried about it?

I'm not busting on you here, just questioning.

If you have a bunch of P2's already, do you really need to worry? I just had this conversation with a local player who was saying the same thing as you; she has two P2's in the bag and five backups. To me that like 30+ years worth of putters.

Putters last; I got a good 12+ years out of three DX Aviars and they only came out of the bag when I switched to Wizards. I was just looking at my Warlock stash (my current putter) and realized that I'm still putting my original one eight years later and I'm never going to live long enough to throw all these Warlocks.

So if you have backup P2's already, should you even really be worried about it?

ah, I've got like 20 backups of P-P2's that theoretically can last a long time, but they're brittle in the cold and I play throughout winter (broke 5 already in the cold).

discmania is kind of going through a gamestop level crazy price boom and well even used my P-P2's are worth a lot right now and I can putt fine with regular aviars.

might as well sell them off now (for a profit even) and not gamble waiting for another restock or eventual discmania not making any more innova molded discs in the future.

the P2 is an Avair variant so might as well go back home to the aviar.

Anyone looking for a P2 replacement might look at the Infinite Discs Alpaca. I putt and throw P2's and the Alpaca feels and flies almost identical.

ah, I've got like 20 backups of P-P2's that theoretically can last a long time, but they're brittle in the cold and I play throughout winter (broke 5 already in the cold).

discmania is kind of going through a gamestop level crazy price boom and well even used my P-P2's are worth a lot right now and I can putt fine with regular aviars.

might as well sell them off now (for a profit even) and not gamble waiting for another restock or eventual discmania not making any more innova molded discs in the future.

the P2 is an Avair variant so might as well go back home to the aviar.
That's too bad (about the brittle thing.) I have 17 Warlocks; I think I'd need to live to be about 250 years old and still frolfing to actually need all 17 of them. :eek:

No one has seemed to mind the Classic Aviar talk here.

I want to start a thread for people whose bag consists of:

Classic Aviar
Roc
Teebird

Don't even really need a bag. I've become one of those guys carrying discs in my hand, playing rounds with my dog by my side.

I prefer:
DX Aviar PandA
DX Roc
DX EagleX (or sometimes a premium Eagle for certain courses)
These posts are old but I drifted the thread so...

Before COVID ruined road trip disc golfing my travel bag was a Classic Aviar, DX Roc, DX Valk and DX Firebird. If you forced me to go three I'd switch the Valk and Firebird depending on how windy it was.

For me the PandAs and Classics I threw were basically the same, maybe a tick more fade on the PandA but not a ton. I was thinking "these are really close to the same thing" when it hit me that they really were the same thing. :| Given the variations in plastic, from run to run these discs have a lot more overlap than they have anything unique about them. I literally chose the Classics for the stamp. :\

These posts are old but I drifted the thread so...

Before COVID ruined road trip disc golfing my travel bag was a Classic Aviar, DX Roc, DX Valk and DX Firebird. If you forced me to go three I'd switch the Valk and Firebird depending on how windy it was.

For me the PandAs and Classics I threw were basically the same, maybe a tick more fade on the PandA but not a ton. I was thinking "these are really close to the same thing" when it hit me that they really were the same thing. :| Given the variations in plastic, from run to run these discs have a lot more overlap than they have anything unique about them. I literally chose the Classics for the stamp. :\

Yep, my thoughts exactly on the classic aviar....just a PandA with a cooler stamp.

See, I putt grids and don't like putting the PandA's (or P2's) at all. I can't position the pad of my pinky finger in the same place and it subtly shifts my entire hand.

I felt up a classic at a piag after putting with PnA's for month and it felt really weird to me. PnA have a very distinct nose, and I feel the same nose on my omega big beads, but not on that classic aviar.

I literally chose the Classics for the stamp. :\
This is what it sounds like when people are honest with themselves :)
I choose PandAs because they are easier to find in that in-between "goldilocks" stiffness. Its not super soft like R-Pro but it isn't super hard like the Classics either. Its juuuuuuussssstttttt riiiiight!

Plus I like how you can find them anywhere for cheap. Because, like you said somewhere else, we have more than 50 years' worth of putters in our houses (more than 10 putters) but we never know when we'll need more!

This is a disc golf website; why don't we talk about Aviars more than we do?

picture.php

This thing was retired; there is a lot of plastic chunked off of it at 4:00. I'd kinda forgotten about it.

When I converted to Aviars I threw nothing but light discs, so my Aviars were usually around 167g. I was running a World's Biggest, and those events were kinda "show up whenever" events so I had long stretches where no one was there to check in. I had some other disc set aside that I was going to keep that year (probably a Viper) but I got bored and absent-mindedly started putting with this disc. It was 172g, which was heavier than I would have picked. I clicked with it right away, and it became my go-to putter for about two years.

When 9X KC Pros came out, those became my putters. By the summer of '99 I had converted over to big bead Aviars for everything, except I kept this guy in the bag. It was beat and you could turn it for longer, finesse shots.

One day I had a longish putt (it was probably circles edge but hey) and I went to this guy; for some reason I did the whole "Oh, Billy, Billy, Billy. This is a biggie! Don't let me down, Billy!" Caddyshack thing and then hit the putt. I pulled that off enough times that the disc became my Billy Baroo and it rode around with me for I think 10 years like that, just getting pulled out for longer putts. YouTube wasn't around for most of that time and when it was, disc golf on it was mostly Cubby videos. We didn't know pro disc golfers make all their putts from circles edge. I thought the old Billy Baroo was something special, lol.

At some point there was enough plastic chunked off of it that I hung it in the garage; it's been out there for at least a decade. Long enough that I never notice it out there.

I pulled it down yesterday and stuck it in the bag. I made one moderately long putt with it tonight. It seems to hang a bit higher than the Warlocks I usually putt with so my aim was off with it. I threw it off the tee once and it flipped a lot more than I would have expected; I forgot how beat it was. It wasn't as magical as I remembered. :(

It was also hotter'n a blister bug in a pepper patch and that old putter plastic got soft, a lot softer than I remember. I've used stiff putters for so long that I forgot that started with the 9X KC Pros; all the Aviars I used before that were the small beads in the softer putter plastic. It never bothered me back then, but it felt weird tonight.

It did make my daughter react in horror when she realized that the disc I was putting with was six years older than her. :p

I'm not sure how long I'll mess with it, but it was fun to have back in the bag.

Latest posts