• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Aviar p&a

IMG_3977.jpeg

Putting practice this evening.

Any recommendations for a softer plastic for the P&A? I've been switching between the Aviar and Magic (I know, not entirely clones, but they feel similar enough to me and are really really close for putting) and I'm liking the Aviar flight a little more outside the circle but the ss and sss plastic is my bread and butter. I haven't experimented with Nexus plastic, but it's a little more grippy, right?

Any recommendations for a softer plastic for the P&A? I've been switching between the Aviar and Magic (I know, not entirely clones, but they feel similar enough to me and are really really close for putting) and I'm liking the Aviar flight a little more outside the circle but the ss and sss plastic is my bread and butter. I haven't experimented with Nexus plastic, but it's a little more grippy, right?

Nexus is a little more grippy, but it didn't seem as grippy to me as SS. I went to gateway warlocks. Feels very similar to the p&a.

I don't putt with Innova but when I did the XT plastic was my plastic of choice for feel. I don't even know if they offer the P&A in XT but if they do you might check it out.

Some of the recent run R-Pro Aviars are a 'stiff' r-pro blend, closer to the Soft Omega4 blend. I've found the White and Blue ones are stiff but not sure of the other colors (near max weight). OTB doesn't have any in stock to verify with their rating system so maybe check with your local retailers.

There is also the commemorative edition 50th run Omega SS which came out a bit stiffer.

I've been switching between the Aviar and Magic (I know, not entirely clones, but they feel similar enough to me and are really really close for putting)
Back in '95, Dave McCormack told me to pick out a driving putter and then just putt with that. When I asked him why, he said "they all putt the same." It's basically true.

I've been using Nexus P&A's for a year now and I have no desire to change. They're grippy but still stiff. They mold up a little shallower and with an ever so slight puddle top compared to the DX P&A. I find they are a little less stable than new DX which is perfect for me. They are straight, glidey and shapeable and to me the most comfortable in hand for both putting and throwing.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll check out some options. I've putted with Warlocks before and like most Gateway putters (minus the Magic), they drop a lot. I really like the glide from the Aviar.

I was doing some field work earlier today, about 220-250 away from a basket. I was throwing a bunch of putters and was surprised in the Aviar. Not sure if I had a good day or just clicked with them more, but I was getting some really nice flights. I was really surprised at the stability– not flipping over unless I really put a lot into them, which made them crazy straight. They'd hold hyzers to the ground. I might have to experiment with the "approach" side of the Aviar more.

Alright, y'all are getting me with the P&A. I went out for a one disc round with the Aviar and it's great. I was surprised at how stable it was even with some power! Both of my DX Aviars are a little newer, but still they had a good amount of HSS. Looking forward to doing some more testing!

Alright, y'all are getting me with the P&A. I went out for a one disc round with the Aviar and it's great. I was surprised at how stable it was even with some power! Both of my DX Aviars are a little newer, but still they had a good amount of HSS. Looking forward to doing some more testing!

I love throwing the P&A. I can hit them hard and they can me manipulated for many different lines. And they do better in the wind than one would expect. I pair them with an AviarX3, or sometimes a Rhyno, and feel like I have all of the putter shots covered.

Blew a tee shot on a heavy wooded hole yesterday. Stuck behind some small trees not far from the tee. Ripped my P&A about 150 ft through several gaps and smacked the band on the basket. It's such a basic, straight disc. In XT at 168 g—feels good and sails.

The PandA Aviar is one of those rare discs that is literally available everywhere, usually cheap, flies great, and putts great.

The PandA Aviar is one of those rare discs that is literally available everywhere, usually cheap, flies great, and putts great.
I mean I guess having 60 kazillion different putters on the market is good in a economist-sorta view of the World, but back when the patent held down competition and we all had to throw Aviars I don't think we missed anything. Other than stacks of different putters we tried and thought "flies like an Aviar", of course. :|

Any new player should be told "If you want to over-think it, here is a flight chart with a bunch of putter options. Bring your wallet. Or...if you want the safe and simple answer, get a couple Aviar PandA's. Throw those and quit worrying about it."

I like having hundreds of options. Only until this year have I forced myself to start fan gripping putters and some mids. It was just so uncomfortable and with deeper putters it typically ended up causing OAT or wobble out of the hand. Because of that I always gravitated towards shallower putters or those that can handle OAT like a Shield for instance.

The Aviar is certainly a good disc but different options are a great thing, not to mention different plastic options as well. Really loving the TS Luna for throwing currently.

I could play with an Aviar, but I truly think my scores would be worse. Not a bad disc at all, just bad for me personally.

I like having hundreds of options. Only until this year have I forced myself to start fan gripping putters and some mids. It was just so uncomfortable and with deeper putters it typically ended up causing OAT or wobble out of the hand. Because of that I always gravitated towards shallower putters or those that can handle OAT like a Shield for instance.

The Aviar is certainly a good disc but different options are a great thing, not to mention different plastic options as well. Really loving the TS Luna for throwing currently.

I could play with an Aviar, but I truly think my scores would be worse. Not a bad disc at all, just bad for me personally.
When I started Aviars were super-duper uncomfortable in the hand and everything I threw with it wobbled horribly. I didn't have any better options, so I had to figure it out. Now I never pick up a putter and think it feels uncomfortable; I can throw any of them.

But I was mainly thinking of new players; the list of putters is daunting and Tour Series Lunas are about the most expensive route you can take with a putter. It's fine if you are already playing and decide you are going to geek out on putter selection, but to start you just need a good dependable putter. When I started playing, that was easy. You got an Aviar.