• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vs.] Axis vs Buzzz

intotheblue

I am inquiring about an Axis vs a Buzzz. I will be purchasing one soon for use on holes shorter than needed for using a driver. I know they're both pretty neutral. Can someone give some incite on this matter?

Thank you!​

Both great choices. They're pretty similar, neutral, like going straight, and fly pretty driver like. It really comes down to feel. The Axis has a small bead (or maybe its shape just makes it feel that way... it's been a while since I threw the Axis and the Buzzz is no bead and pretty shallow (feels more driver like).

I've thrown both, but not extensively, so I'm sure there are people who will be able to give you more detailed information. But, they fill a similiar (if not the same) role.

Edit: I might as well get off the fence... I preferred the Axis. Nothing against the Buzz, but it felt a little too shallow for me and while both were extremely workable, the Axis was easier to throw dead nuts straight, at least for me.

Axis requires more snap and seems more sensitive to OAT, however I think it will take more power than some Buzzz models and it will be more consistant to replace if you need to purchase a new one.

In the hand, they feel the same to me, just the differences in plastic, though the above post about microbead may be true.

They are, as basically as can be put, twins, however the difference between proton and nuetron versions of any disc and the difference of the overmold (I think this is where the OAT issues and possibly need for snap come from) make your choice one of preference.

I found the buzzz easier to throw, but the Axis was longer for me.

they both are more fairway driver-ish in their flights than a slower midrange but im all about the tangent if you want a truly workable mid off the shelf.

Buzzz. Best mid-range on the market.. Of course that's my opinion so no one get mad at me for saying that. I am a big MVP fan so when I say the Buzzz is better then the Axis, listen! The buzzz and axis fly the same. But the Buzzz comes in many different plastics and you can work the disc into many different lines. They both come out consistent but I am not big on the Axis. It's one of the few MVP discs I do not enjoy. One of Two actually. The Axis requires better form and is very sensitive in my experience. The Buzzz is forgiving and is a great neutral mid. You can pair it with a Tangent like mentioned above and a Vector easily. MVP is great for mids but the Buzzz deserves a slot in your bag. I carry 3.. 2 ESP's and 1 Ti Buzzz. It is my most purchased disc for 1 simple reason. It's fantastic. Go ahead and treat yourself my friend.

so basically if you want to be able to buy more than 3 different flying versions of your fast straight midrange buy a buzzz. if you want your buzzz to fly like a buzzz buy an axis?

so basically if you want to be able to buy more than 3 different flying versions of your fast straight midrange buy a buzzz. if you want your buzzz to fly like a buzzz buy an axis?

no not at all.. I carry 3 Buzzz's for grip and durability differences. Color difference in them too. I have those Buzzz's for a reason. If someone bags 3 Axis's do all of them fly different?

I'm not gonna lie. I don't have a ton of experience with the Buzzz. All I know is that the Axis is a very versatile disc, and if you decide to go with it, choose Neutron plastic. It has a tad more glide than Proton.

I've thrown both a lot and have both in the bag at the moment. Yes, they completely overlap.

Honestly what else can I say about the Buzzz that hasn't already been said. Lots of different plastics so you can find one that feels just right. Straight flight with a bit of fade at the end. 10 year Anny Buzzzes seem to have a bit more stability/ fade then the others I've thrown. I have tons of confidence in this disc. Great for low, straight shots.

The difference with the Axis is subtle. My Axis started very much like my 10 yr Buzzz, but has lost the fade and gotten longer. What fade it has now is much more forward penetrating then what I see from the Buzzz. The Axis seems to have a bit more glide as well; it is consistantly 20-30' longer. Thrown flat I get a ever so slight turn to glide that I don't really see from the Buzzz. I get a little more workability from the Axis as well.

Does anyone else think the Tangent would be more in direct competition with a Buzzz than an Axis?

I found the Axis to have more glide than the Buzzz. Consequently, I found it more difficult to range for longer upshots. The Buzzz has a reliable touch, and won't blow past my target. I really like both discs, but with my current selection and shot selections, the Buzzz gets the nod.

I am inquiring about an Axis vs a Buzzz. I will be purchasing one soon for use on holes shorter than needed for using a driver. I know they're both pretty neutral. Can someone give some incite on this matter?

Thank you!​

I habe spent months throwing each disc, and while they are pretty similar, I think there are two specific differences between them. That is speed and fade.

I have thrown nearly every kind of Buzz, and every kind of Axis out there. For the most part they all fly the same if we're talking premium plastic. D Buzzes are not the same thing as a premium Buzz in flight FYI.

Buzzes are a bit faster and have more low speed fade.

Axis is a bit slower and has less low speed fade.

Other than that they are very similar discs capable of flying very similar lines.

Personally I chose the Axis, because I want my "straight mid" to be exactly that...straight. The Axis consistently flies straighter and fades less for me while retaining similar high speed stability and headwind fighting ability. I also feel these characteristics make the Axis a superior approach disc, though I rely on putters more than mids for that role.

It's hard to go wrong with either one, but knowing that little difference can make it easier to determine which will fit your throw and your bag better.

I don't know why people are saying the Axis is sensitive. In this video I throw mine with slight anhyzer 375' far and it fades.

There are 10th Buzz drives here including that very same hole. I am not crazy about the 10th Buzz, it seems to fade fairly hard for a Buzz but did no better in the wind for me. I enjoyed throwing a mix of FLX and Z Buzzes when they were in my bag, and the new Ti have flown consistent from the five or so I've handled. If I were getting a new Buzz I'd probably try a bright Ti first. With the Axis I'd gi with a max weight Neutron or Eclipse Proton depending on which plastic feels better to you.

Sorry for all the posts, sometimes the site is iffy about letting me edit posts on my phone.

Not a bug fan of the Axis I bought and played with for a while, but I love the Buzzz. Gotta find the right one though. I seem to prefer Elite Z and heavier weights, but I keep a lighter ESP in my bag for less stable lines.

I threw a Comet I bought for $5 at a Garage sale and I really like that, got some nice drives with that - also got some terrible ones ;). It is more like the Tangent for comparison. I am not great with either, because my form isn't quite there yet.

Last edited:
The Buzzz and Axis are very similar for me, i like them both but the Axis is my choice because of consistency and durability of plastic.. i have an axis that i have had since release and its in great shape.

The feel of the MVP plastic is much better in MOST conditions also.. not so much when its wet, but that's the downside to premium plastic.

I don't know why people are saying the Axis is sensitive.
I don't get this either. Thinking that people are really torquing on it, or rolling their wrists over, or ???

I've thrown both and agree with what Mike C said. The Buzzz is faster with a bit more fade, while the Axis is slightly slower and more stable. Personally I've found that the Neutron Axes tends to have that same bit of fade as the Buzzz compared the Proton/Eclipse versions, which are more stable (however I've not thrown a lot of them to know if this is completely true). Both bomb when you get on them, but the slight increase in fade from the Buzzz gives it a little less distance potential than the Axis on true golf lines.

I maintain that the Axis is a true workhorse mid; one that can be put on a variety of lines (flex, anny, dead straight, etc) and still be very predictable. There is no right or wrong choice here, as both are excellent discs and would be a fixture in any bag, but for me it's the Axis all day long.

I don't get this either. Thinking that people are really torquing on it, or rolling their wrists over, or ???

I said it was sensitive to OAT (which is the thrower's fault, not the disc) and that it needed a little more snap than the buzzz (which seems to be true about MVP in general).

These aren't bad things, just mostly cautions because some people throw An Axis and think it sucks based on their problems. I think if you through it, and learn it well (tangent is another example of this theory) your game will improve because you've learned to throw a disc properly.

In other words, I don't think the Axis will hold your hand.

Latest posts