• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand Drive Problem... Please Help!

SharkRock135

I am 13 years old and I started playing disc golf this year. I have gotten really good my last rounds having an estimated rating of almost 950. I could throw about 350 feet but now every time I turn over my drives way too much. I can still throw my Champion TL 275 feet straight but when I throw my destroyer it just flips on me and goes almost nowhere. I have checked everything but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. All my discs are beat in a little bit and if you could give me some advice that would be terrific.

What kind of plastic is the destroyer? If it's dx or something like that it could be super under stable by now.

When I start turning over everything I make sure I'm not rolling my wrist on release. I also press down harder with my thumb on the top of the disc...that seems to keep my nose down and help prevent the wrist roll.

Reach out some more. Your rounding your body/ preventing a straight line because the disc would have to pass threw you.

So are those destroyers DX plastic? What are the weights if your discs.

You are rounding quite a bit and holding back your throwing arm after release.

And get your buddy to turn the phone sideways/landscape mode.

Congrats for getting into disc golf, keep at it, you are doing very well already.

Keep that non throwing arm close. It slows you down.

Dont bury your chin, slows rotation.

And i think your burying the head then popping it up. So i think your starting over the disc/ crouched over it and then at the end your standing up/ straightening up.

I may be wrong but i think starting straighter and then getting over the disc at the "hit" is proper.

Hey pro destroyers get flippy. I throw 450 and pro destroyers are the best disc out of the box for distance. Give me two rounds with it and it will never go left again for me. I highly recommend buying a star destroyer in a lighter weight. It will take time to beat in but in the long run it will take an entire season to get flippy.

Agree about pro plastic, I tried it twice with Wraiths and it was not good. Really flippy after a week or two max -- dx, pro, and rpro are flippy machines way too quickly. I wanted to try an Aviar so I bought a new one in dx, got a hyzer ace with it in the first week. Shortly after that, no way would it hyzer with a flat release -- even by tipping it down on a hyzer release it still would turn. Same experience with an rpro dart.

I say drop that Pro plastic, it's everything but pro. I bought a Wraith, Boss, and Destroyer in Pro a while back, each one turned over and was super flippy.

I'd be more interested in seeing you throwing some lower speed stuff, maybe some Beasts, Valkyries and mid ranges. How do your putters fly? Not saying you don't have the power for a destroyer, just curious how the slower non forced power stuff flies for you. When my destroyers aren't turning, I can always go down to my Beasts and throw them a bit, or even better pull out the Mako or Comet and throw it around a bit to check for any torque problems.

Looks dang good for a 13 year old though. Always exciting to see young players who are throwing that good.

You are leaning away from the target too far over your rear leg and striding too long and too backward(early). You need to stay more centered upright while striding and turn back later and not lean. Your camera angle is not that great to show it, but from the side you are similar to this below, but not quite as bad. Notice how all the pros are centered upright(inside the rear leg) and striding to their right/targetward. You are trying to shift your weight back too far and can't utilize your weight properly. If you just maintain/stay in balance your weight will shift and shift more effectively/compact.

are you sure your grip is right? I can stable up immensely with a grip adjustment. "It" might take away some that flippy distance but should add control.

I am guessing that throwing them onto concrete repeatedly may have something to do with it if that's where you normally practice...

Latest posts