• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Backhand drivers?

O'Hair94

I am a sidearmer, I started off sidearming because I could get double the distance. I still prefer sidearm beacuse Im accurate and can throw 300+ with my nukes, but Im looking for a disc that I could throw backhand to get out of those holes that sidearming just isnt the right kind of throw on. Right now all I throw backhand is a disccraft buzzz esp. I either dont have the power or the discs to throw anything further than 150 backhand. Any tips on how to get more distance or any disc I should try?

any disc you can fh you should be able to bh

also search feature on this site works wonders. there was someone just last week that posted something like this

You should be able to drive 300+ with your Buzzz on a backhand.

The truth is, there isn't any one disc that's going to magically help you throw a better backhand. You need to work on your form and the Buzzz is a great disc to do exactly that. Challenge yourself to play rounds throwing backhand only (or as much as possible) with the Buzzz, and maybe a more neutral disc like a Leopard (or something equivalent), until you start to get the feel and mechanics of throwing backhand.

Try uploading a video of your driving form. There's a lot of people on here who can help you out.

Keep throwing your Buzzz until you can get it out to at least 200' backhand.

After that try something a little understable like a Leopard, River, Patriot, TL etc.

Any tips on how to get more distance or any disc I should try?

If you want more distance, leave the Equipment forum right now, work on everything in this thread, take your Buzzz to a field, and practice throwing it. New discs aren't the answer to make you better. It's a fun route to take, don't get me wrong. It's just not the fastest way to improve quickly.

If you want more distance, leave the Equipment forum right now, work on everything in this thread, take your Buzzz to a field, and practice throwing it. New discs aren't the answer to make you better. It's a fun route to take, don't get me wrong. It's just not the fastest way to improve quickly.

Preach it hommie.

Master the buzzz to 300' until you know you need discs to add shots. If anything for most new players adding tons of different molds only adds to confusion and a slower understanding of disc flight. Making one disc fly many ways is much more beneficial than trying to have a bunch that fly differently--until you NEED them.

I started out just like you state in the OP. You cant get better without getting worse either really at some points it takes a little going backwards to get to a new plateau.

Here's my 2-cents. I primarily threw OH - I could throw BH, but it wasn't reliable or consistent. My game has developed to where I now can play all BH (if needed). It took about 18 months of playing (about once a week) BH to feel (fairly) confident about taking a BH shot. What helped me was getting discs that I could throw straight - so mids and putters. For me, this was the mako and buzz esp flx. I have switched a mako3 for the mako, and have added the axiom alias (which I am really liking). I threw ions for the putter. I was throwing some lower speed drivers, but everything was fading because I wasn't getting enough on the disc. As my BH shot has improved, my discs started to fly in some semblance of the flight charts (understables would turnover, overstable would hold their line, etc). With my improved form, I have really like the servo and switch. I still sometimes play all mid/putter rounds to work on keeping my form clean. I have never felt the need to throw 500' - that would be nice, but I'm pretty sure that it will never happen. I wish I had the time for field work, but my time on the course is challenging enough to get! Be patient, work in the BH shot as you play - in casual rounds, throw your sidearm, and then throw a second BH disc.

I just got a worn in star leopard and I can get some pretty consistant backhand drives with it. Im just gonna keep working on my form untill I can start getting deeper throws. Thanks for the help guys!

I am a sidearmer, I started off sidearming because I could get double the distance. I still prefer sidearm beacuse Im accurate and can throw 300+ with my nukes, but Im looking for a disc that I could throw backhand to get out of those holes that sidearming just isnt the right kind of throw on. Right now all I throw backhand is a disccraft buzzz esp. I either dont have the power or the discs to throw anything further than 150 backhand. Any tips on how to get more distance or any disc I should try?

The buzzz would me a great disc but, as for drivers go I would sugest diamond, archangel, leopard, or a sidewinder. In that order.