• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand VS Sidearm......is there a biased opinion in DG regarding Sidearmers

Notrepidation

Par Member
So, I started playing and threw nothing but RHBH. I mean, I tried a sidearm, quickly saw I had ZERO control over it and then decided to try and improve my backhand before developing a sidearm. About a month ago I decided to start throwing a sidearm shot on EVERY tee AFTER throwing my normal RHBH shot. My sidearm improved. I am now at the point where I am comfortable throwing either. My backhand still needs a lot of work (snap mostly) but I noticed that I am now out driving my backhand with my sidearm. It makes sense as I am an ex college baseball pitcher.

Anyway, the question.....Prior to getting into this game and in at the onset of playing the people I was playing with seemed to have a bad taste in their mouths regarding sidearm throwers.....ESPECIALLY guys that through the sidearm long and accurate. When asked why they felt that way I got answers like " Anyone can throw that sh*t" or "they just throw it sidearm because the can't throw a BH". Honestly, it appears to me that it's actually harder to throw an accurate sidearm consistently than it is to throw a BH consistently. The margin of error is much bigger with MY BH than it is with MY sidearm....that's MY experience though. So....is this thinking rampant in DG or is it just the haters in my area? Is just that these guys probably can't throw a sidearm for crap or is there really an unspoken biased toward sidearm throwers in DG?

I respect any disc thrown with good, clean, accurate form. It's funny when I step up to the teepad and throw my Leopard or Teebird or Ion or Buzzz (etc...) dead straight with little fade (as these discs should be thrown) and people are surprised that a disc can even go so straight. Most people know very little about disc golf, even if they've been playing a while. It's best not to listen to them.

I think it's in your head. Alot of new players throw FH (sidearm/flick) because it's easier to get immediate distance - it sounds like you are finding the same to be true. Watch some tournament footage - you'll find whenever the wind is up or a player is really looking for accuracy or a specific line - they throw BH. Control, predictability, and wind are three reasons why you might find folks encouraging others to not give up on the BH in favor of a flick.

Having both shots is a good thing. The wind might make me throw a forehand if it is blowing the right way.

Absolutely. I think it you are just hurting yourself by not developing both a flick and a BH. Thus far it has done nothing but lower my score. Dogleg right? Sidearm it. Long dogleg left? Grab my Beast and put some Hyzer on it. I am just curious if this type of thinking is local or if it's a general idea embraced by many. I agree with Alcuin and will go one further. If someone is getting CONSISTENT, long and accurate shots, I don't care if they are hop scotching up the tee pad.....if it gives them consistent results it's to be commended.

Ignore those type of people man.There are quite a few at the course I play at.

I throw both.It comes in handy to know forehand,especially if you are in an awkward position and the only option is forehand.I've made many great shots even some long birdies with the forehand.So keep learning the shot it will only make your game more versatile.

Those guys who are badmouthing you and saying all that stuff are only hurting themselves for not making an attempt to learn the shot.

I agree with notrepidation. Disc golf is all about being diverse for any type of shot, even though you can anhyzer a FH shot is easier in a sense because it naturally goes to the right. But if you are very specialized, you can do anything with anyshot which is my ultimate goal

The big issue stems from the mental image most serious players have of "chuckers." The carrying one, maybe 2 discs, a beer, and a sharpie to write on everything in the park. These are the types of people most players imagine when they think of "fh" players.

Not that this is fair, or even realistic, lots of talented players also throw fh. But I've seen way more fh dominant chuckers than bh dominant.

Who cares how you get it there as long as it gets there in style?! RHFH working on BH, it's there but not FH there. I like having the versatility of both FH and BH but if it comes right down to it and I need that comfort level... you bet your A$$ I'm throwing an anny FH. Evolution of your personal game... as long as you can still hang or put the haters in their place, do your thing. FHer's BYOTCH.

PS Injuries may play part in throwing style.:D

I used to forehand almost everything but after reading these forums for awhile I take myself out into a field and practice back hand all the time now, but still use forehand if I need it to finish right.

The big issue stems from the mental image most serious players have of "chuckers." The carrying one, maybe 2 discs, a beer, and a sharpie to write on everything in the park. These are the types of people most players imagine when they think of "fh" players.

Not that this is fair, or even realistic, lots of talented players also throw fh. But I've seen way more fh dominant chuckers than bh dominant.

This is the perception and for the most part it is true......I think the sidearmers who are out of control and bad for the sport are exactly what most envision regarding FH players

Its a dumb way to think but it is the way area pros ingrained it into everyones heads.....until Wysocki and Kohlig came through and killed them all.

"Oh so you throw it like a baseball, got it". Most chuckers learn after their own n00b hyzer experience that throwing FH is easier to get distance out of earlier than BH for most players so they usually gravitate towards it. Then factor in the warp speed driver and horrible form and alcohol and FH players aren't look too highly upon and/or associated with chuckers. But like Opti said then you have some pros who have a strong FH but if you look at the vast majority of pros they are BH dominate. I think the biggest reason behind that is that the majority of courses are biased towards RHBH players in mind.

There are some pros who really don't like FH or overhand (nikko, feldberg) and pros who are all for it (Doss, Avery, Big Jerm). FH is easier to do incorrectly and hurt your body, I hurt my shoulder doing it. Done correctly it can be way more controllable and accurate than BH but its distance potential, for whatever reason, is shorter than BH.

without information available or much knowledge of disc golf before playing...it seems the easiest/most natural way to throw is a forehand for most folks. especially if they're played golf, baseball, tennis, and other sports with similar motions to a forehand.

i know i started a a chucker with a couple discs...and i threw a forehand on basically every hole. it takes a lot more time and practice to learn a backhand than a forehand, at least in my experience. just more mechanics and technique involved to throw with proper form.

having both shots is definitely a plus. but being a strictly dominant forehand player is more difficult to improve upon that strictly dominant backhand player in my mind.

One of my buddies throws almost purely sidearm.he can throw all the same shots the rest of us can. Getting his eagles out to a little over 300 now. Lately I have been teaching him the correct backhand fo and he has been teaching me better flick technique. It's different strokes for different folks man. A clean smooth release is awesome no matter thrown fh or bh.

I could care less how someone throws their disc. My respect for someone as a person is solely based on how they conduct themselves and the choices they make. My respect for someone as a player is solely based on their game. I have no more or less respect for someone that throws BH or FH than I do for somone that doesn't throw at all.

As to weather somone should throw FH v. BH v. OH: they're all nice weapons to have, depending on the shot that needs to be made and an individual players ability with each of those shot types. Each has distinct advantages in certain situations. I say develop 'em all.

Last edited:
"they just throw it sidearm because the can't throw a BH".

I throw BH cuz i cant throw FH. I'm not complaining when someone throws an amazing FH shot. Some people are just jealous that they aren't better than the guy that throws sidearm.

I throw BH cuz i cant throw FH. I'm not complaining when someone throws an amazing FH shot. Some people are just jealous that they aren't better than the guy that throws sidearm.
I'm only jealous cuz I parred and he birdied! :p

Throw what gets you to the basket in the fewest throws.

Ppl complaining about forehands are jaelous. Or jerks.

Latest posts