• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand VS Sidearm......is there a biased opinion in DG regarding Sidearmers

mmhmm.

From my experience, the players who take it seriously and are competitive respect and practice all types of shots... Players who are one-dimensional are much more scarce in upper am divisions and open. Still, I must admit that there seems to be something more "pure" about the backhand.

This is likely due to what people have been saying. The noobs who get out and start flinging discs (and who pocket the discs with your number on them after you forget them in the fairway) often begin throwing forehand because it gets distance quicker.... in a way, it's the "easier" way out (for many) as a beginner.

Achieving a consistent backhand takes time, effort, and tons of practice to master. It appears a mastered backhand trumps mastered forehands. Forehand dominant players exist at professional levels, but it's hard to argue with history (and the list of current top level pros) that backhand dominance isnt how to get truly GREAT.

I think the people in your area dont understand how versatile a disc golf player needs to be, sidearm and backhand go hand in hand with each other

I'm not sure who started this myth, but there isn't anything about a FH that is 'way more controllable and accurate' than a backhand.

Hey ME, you shouldn't be so closed minded. Why do you keep stating this as if it is a fact? Have you done some sort of study on this or something?

Any throw can be controlled and thrown accurately with practice. If I was feeling argumentative, I'd suggest a forehand is the most controllable and accurate .... You never turn your back on the target, fewer fingers are required for the grip (less to mess up the shot), and the wrist flip/release is less complicated coming off the top of the hand rather than under it....but rather than make empirical statements I can't support, I'm not gonna take the stance that one shot is better than another.

I came from an ultimate background where you need to throw both shots equally to be successful. Guess what I do in dgolf, throw both shots equally....with all my discs! I love how people always look for forehand discs, use the ones in your bag....they're all forehand discs!

IMO, The sport has clearly favored BH historically. My guess is that it's due to the fact that thts the way most people tossed on the beach and in the park before dgolf. Then innova created discs that move opposite of their natural fade and players developed rollers and the sidearm was never developed. Over the past 10-15 years many young players (probaly x ultimate players being given a bad rep as 2 disc chuckers) started using the shot regularly..... successfully. Many of the old guard started to see the use and value of the shot and have since developed a FH, even if only for a specialty use as it may not be as controllable and accurate as their previously developed BH. A little more attention to the FH and I bet good players could be equally accurate with both!

If I need to hit a tight line I always FH my eagle l instead of backhand. after seeing big jerm throw sidearm i have to say that i think both can be about equal

Hey ME, you shouldn't be so closed minded. Why do you keep stating this as if it is a fact? Have you done some sort of study on this or something?

Any throw can be controlled and thrown accurately with practice. If I was feeling argumentative, I'd suggest a forehand is the most controllable and accurate .... You never turn your back on the target, fewer fingers are required for the grip (less to mess up the shot), and the wrist flip/release is less complicated coming off the top of the hand rather than under it....but rather than make empirical statements I can't support, I'm not gonna take the stance that one shot is better than another.

I came from an ultimate background where you need to throw both shots equally to be successful. Guess what I do in dgolf, throw both shots equally....with all my discs! I love how people always look for forehand discs, use the ones in your bag....they're all forehand discs!

IMO, The sport has clearly favored BH historically. My guess is that it's due to the fact that thts the way most people tossed on the beach and in the park before dgolf. Then innova created discs that move opposite of their natural fade and players developed rollers and the sidearm was never developed. Over the past 10-15 years many young players (probaly x ultimate players being given a bad rep as 2 disc chuckers) started using the shot regularly..... successfully. Many of the old guard started to see the use and value of the shot and have since developed a FH, even if only for a specialty use as it may not be as controllable and accurate as their previously developed BH. A little more attention to the FH and I bet good players could be equally accurate with both!
That's funny and true! :thmbup:

Having both FH & BH in your throw arsenal will help your game immensely. I've developed my forehand the last couple of years and shots that used to require me to turn the disc over now require just a simple flick.

I'm pretty sure I get more respect locally being FH dominant. It's a lot rarer to see someone throw the perfect shot FH as opposed to BH. And FYI, I throw FH because I have to, my back won't let me BH for distance.

From what I have seen in my limited experience, is that throwing sidearm is an easy way to get distance results as a novice. I've had the opportunity to get different people into the sport, that includes ex baseball players, college quarterbacks, and ultimate players. I would say that if you have a history in overhand throwing like baseball or football (even if you did it for a year) and overhand throwing feels comfortable to you, then adjusting to throwing a disc sidearm allows you to get the power you have from overhand throwing. Ultimate players or people that love Frisbee throw backhand to begin with but struggle with hyzers.

Both RHBH and RHFH are important for your game. Master one, then slowly work on the other.

In random draw doubles, I love it when I draw a partner who has a strong forehand just as much as I like drawing a lefty. I could compare a disc golfer disrespecting a player with a strong forehand to a baseball player disrespecting a pitcher with a strong curve ball. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm a FH dominate player who throws very little BH and almost never over 200' (because it isn't getting there). I choose FH not because I can't throw BH but because I've never taken the time to get good it it. Time and some practice is what every type shot is about and I've never dedicated enough of either to most of my game. Both are important and on most courses the BH is a little more important - especially for consistent distance.

I never catch grief because I throw FH (other than joking with the other locals I've played with for years) but I do hear courses catch grief if they are viewed as "too Forehand friendly". Seems that if a course has 4-5 holes that turn sharply right it will get eaten alive in reviews but the 7-8 BH hyzer holes are forgotten. I like variety and accept left turn vs right turn as part of the game and prefer holes with options.

DG is so much about playing lines that it would be foolish not to embrace different styles of throws. Success with versatility can get you through/out of difficult situations.

Haters gonna hate.

After 4 years ofRH-BH, I decided to give the flick a real try this spring. It's been fun to start a new learning curve ( to the right--->>>) and has made a couple of my playing compadres do double takes. " Dude...When did you start throwing flicks?" ....as I park a short 240 left to right hole with my Firebird. Learning the wind has been crazy tough so far, though....It's like everything I thought I knew about back hand is reversed....

The best part is having options and I've already made a couple flick up and downs that would have been shear luck if I tried to approach backhand. Wait...here's my ride.....Gonna go practice a few more forehands this afternoon. ching!

I have been throwing a frisbee most of my life. I have never had a backhand throw, even as a kid. I've tried, but it just doesn't work for me. I have never experienced a bias against FH throwers. If anything, I've heard people say they wish they had as smooth a FH as me. People will find something to complain about, I just don't have the time to worry about it.

I was the same way but opposite OPer for about 6 years. Only threw FH. This required me to have an unnecessary amount of molds. I needed drivers that could anhyzer hard, as well as the overstable/stable ones. All because I was too lazy to learn BH. But in the last year I've done what you did and finally learned BH. I still have that deadly accurate aim with FH, but learning to throw both equally has seriously helped me eliminate several molds from my bag. I only need the stable/overstable combo since I no longer need turnover shots, etc.

I will comment that I do feel less strain on my body when I throw BH. I had tendonitis in my throwing elbow, so forcing my FH throw out to 400' just puts more strain on me than letting my body and my arm work more in harmony.

I also think the DG community looks down on strictly FH players. While I think it is silly that it happens, I find myself having more respect for the players who can successfully throw both in all situations. Every course has tons of FH/BH chances. Anyone who resists learning both or looks down on one form is missing out. For instance, I'm much more accurate at the 100' mark FH than I am BH. But that's just because I can see where I'm throwing and still get the power I need.

I'm not sure who started this myth, but there isn't anything about a FH that is 'way more controllable and accurate' than a backhand.

Personally, I find that I'm able to hit tighter gaps more consistently FH since I never break eye contact with the target. This is coming from someone who throws BH almost exclusively. I only throw FH if I really need it since it hurts my shoulder now.

i switched over to BH this year purely b/c i knew it'd be better for me in the long run. I'm getting em out to 250-300 now w decent consistency. But having that FH shot has saved me so many shots in tricky situations. Knowing that I can shape any line out of the woods or behind a bush or tree just gives me way more confidence walking up to the shot.

I have buddies who switched over to BH much sooner than I did who just stopped throwing FH all together. Now they get in some spots where a FH would be an easy shot, but they are so reliant on their BH now that they try some ridiculous roller type shot or an off balance huck w limited success. Having both shots is the way to go.

I would say that BH definitely seems to take longer to really develop distance with though. A 300' FH w a TB was pretty easy after only a few months of consistent play. A 300' BH w a leo or something is still damn tough after a few months of BH play.

Use both! I wish I had developed both styles of throwing when I started. My forehad still earns the most distance, but I've been doing tons of work to get my backhand to catch up. Field work cannot be underestimated here!

I might also suggest playing entire rounds with one throwing style (the one you're LESS comfortable with). Even better, only carry putters and mids until your form gets to where you're equally comfortable using both FH and BH shots in any circumstance!

Latest posts