• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backhand VS Sidearm......is there a biased opinion in DG regarding Sidearmers

I'm jealous of anyone who can throw both equally well. I am proficient with my backhand but have no control for sidearms and only use them when its completely and totally necessary. I guess thats my fault for not learning it in the first place...

I find that the people who dislike any throwing style is usually directly proportional to the level of awesomeness you bring. the more you park, the more the haters come out. ignore this, I have only played for a year, but find that the ability (which I have worked at considerably) to throw both FH and BH has let me play on par people considerably more "seasoned" who have to rely on just one or the other. My 2 cents.

It could be worse, you could be lefthanded and throw sidearm and backhand. The cheater comments greatly increase:rolleyes:

So, I started playing and threw nothing but RHBH. I mean, I tried a sidearm, quickly saw I had ZERO control over it and then decided to try and improve my backhand before developing a sidearm. About a month ago I decided to start throwing a sidearm shot on EVERY tee AFTER throwing my normal RHBH shot. My sidearm improved. I am now at the point where I am comfortable throwing either. My backhand still needs a lot of work (snap mostly) but I noticed that I am now out driving my backhand with my sidearm. It makes sense as I am an ex college baseball pitcher.

Anyway, the question.....Prior to getting into this game and in at the onset of playing the people I was playing with seemed to have a bad taste in their mouths regarding sidearm throwers.....ESPECIALLY guys that through the sidearm long and accurate. When asked why they felt that way I got answers like " Anyone can throw that sh*t" or "they just throw it sidearm because the can't throw a BH". Honestly, it appears to me that it's actually harder to throw an accurate sidearm consistently than it is to throw a BH consistently. The margin of error is much bigger with MY BH than it is with MY sidearm....that's MY experience though. So....is this thinking rampant in DG or is it just the haters in my area? Is just that these guys probably can't throw a sidearm for crap or is there really an unspoken biased toward sidearm throwers in DG?

You answered your own question. But honestly, when one of the players in my group at a tournament tees off sidearm on the first hole, I immediately count that player as someone who will be donating their entry fee to me.

If Dave Dunipace intended for players to use BH and FH, why even take the time to create understable discs?

You answered your own question. But honestly, when one of the players in my group at a tournament tees off sidearm on the first hole, I immediately count that player as someone who will be donating their entry fee to me.

If Dave Dunipace intended for players to use BH and FH, why even take the time to create understable discs?

Understable discs can be used in a variety of different shots.

I've watched Jeremy Koling Rh flick an Understable comet and make it perform as if a normal person threw a RHBH overstable piece of plastic.

Until you see what the top pros do with it, don't underestimate the disc (or player).

So forehand player aren't allowed to throw under stable discs or is it just impossible for them to do it? Cause my sidewinder flies beautifully forehand. Maybe I got a freak over stable one?

I have been playing almost 10 years on and off and been hitting it hard for 3 years. And any shot you can do back hand i can do forehand no questions. Destroyer, Boss, Champ Gator, PL gremlin, aviar.

Its not about what shots I cant do forehand. Its about what shots you can't make backhand. Let me quess you can roll it? lol When you are in trouble? Ill flick it right next to the basket with fewer overthrows and closer 100% of time. Would you want a golf bag with 3 clubs or 9? There is nothing wrong with having them in your bag of tricks. And flat out crushing drives with little effort.

I'm only biased against fh when somebody torque monkeys a throw, ****s it real bad, and rolls it to the basket. It seems to me that it happens for fh almost exclusively.

I have the same loathe for anyone playing in strong winds that obviously turns one over too far, but gets saved because they threw it badly enough to get it to roll. So I'm not sure whether or not it's bias.

This is by far the best thing ever posted to this website. Wow.

tell me you copied this and put in the DGR/DGCR thread....

if you cant throw both ( or throw righty and lefty backhand) your not gonna get very far, so get used to beating the haters when you get good.

I agree with others on the thread, that having an average FH and average BH will allow you to beat much more skilled players that choose to restrict themselves to BH-only. It is worthwhile to practice both. Here are several reasons.

Aside from having more options on any given hole, there is another factor I've noticed. In a two-day tournament, or marathon disc golf road trip, you can stay fresher longer if you throw both FH and BH and spread the fatigue out over different muscle groups.

Also, once in awhile I get in a rut with one or the other FH or BH, and it is really nice to just switch over to what's working for a few holes. If my BH is not working (fatigue, injury, mental block, whatever), it is great to step up and know that I can throw FH on a right-to-left hole using an understable driver. Practice FH with understable drivers and mids, and you can carve all kinds of sweet lines.

I also find it is useful to throw RHFH hyzer approach shots when there is a right-to-left cross wind. It keeps top of the disc facing the wind so it stays low and controlled. That is an easier throw to execute than the RHBH anhyzer alternative.

Latest posts