• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Backpack bag for biking to course

PerpetualNewbie

Birdie Member
I'm purchasing a nice cyclocross bike to use as an all-purpose commuter and trail bike to save on gas, get additional exercise and help build up my leg muscles as a better foundation for playing disc golf. I plan on cycling to one of my local courses daily (5 or 15 miles one-way, depending on course).

As much as I like my Lat64 Pro Bag I just don't think I'm going to want to cycle with it, and investing in a good backpack bag is probably what I need to do at this point.

I found one old thread from 2010 but there wasn't a lot of info or activity, and there have been a lot of backpacks released since then, so I thought I'd get some new feedback and opinions on this subject.

I tend to carry a lot of discs (hence, the Lat bag) but have been trying to narrow things down a bit. Even with pulling some out though I'll still probably be carrying around 21-22 discs, in addition to snacks, towels, baseball, retriever, pencil/sharpie, water bottle and a few other little odds and ends. Except when playing one or two-disc rounds I like to bring my full bag.

I was highly interested in the Ergo2 and got to check one out at a tournament this past weekend, my only concern is enough space for all my discs...

I like trilogy and DD discs, but I just really don't like the Ranger bag and so it is probably out of consideration. The boxiness of it makes me think it wouldn't be that aerodynamic for cycling anyway.

On the flip side, while I'm not a fan of Prodigy discs, I am highly interested in the new backpack bag that Prodigy players were sporting at the Memorial, but I heard that it might not be out until June...?

I'm open to considering Grip, Prodiscus, Golf Mahal, etc. but the opinions I'm most interested is from players who actually cycle with their backpack and what they think of their particular bag.

Thanks!

I don't cycle with a backpack style bag, but i do bike around a lot with my voodoo mojo with backpack straps. Its comfortable, balanced lower on my back, and does not interfere with my seat, tires, etc. overall its hardly noticeable aside from cycling with a little extra weight. I think a grip would also be a good choice as it looks like it wouldn't interfere with your riding too much. Golf mahal might be too big and bulky. The Ergo2 also a good idea, but don't know much about it.

If you go minimal, the Upper Park backpacks might be worth a look.The Focus even has a camelback. If you need bigger capacity, the Grip or Ergo2 might be your best bet. They close up nice and tight so it won't be a worry when riding. And they're probably the lowest profile of the backpacks out there. You can always go the E.T. route and put a basket on the front of your bike and keep your Lat bag. :-D

Spinal tap is super comfy and good amount of storage.

I have cycled with my Mahal loaded for tournaments with no issue. Once its all cinched in and straps tucked in it was fine

I have even rode with a Chihuahua in the bag

join the masses Grip EQ?

Join the masses and get the Grip bag. If you have a car made after the year 2000 that cost under 30k I am sure it looks like ever other out there. Our cars all look alike, why should our bags be different.

Are the Grip bags that good or is just that they are ready to order unlike most bags. Ranger is too box like. Looks like I will also join the band wagon and get a Grip bag. Every other I like is on back order or they are not taking orders as they dont have any.

Can anyone suggest a backpack other than Grip or Ranger, ready to purchase, no wait, no back order and with top putter quiver/slot?

Spinal tap is super comfy and good amount of storage.

Yeah, I think I had looked at that bag a while back and liked the specs a lot, but you can't get them right now, can you? Weren't they discussed on here somewhere as having some QC issues or something, and they're re-tooling or redesigning them? Or am I thinking of another bag...?

I bike to my local course, roughly 3 miles. Last year used a Grip and loved it. Just picked up a Mahal for my practice bag (needed something to carry 30+ for this). Fully loaded, the yoke system is surprisingly comfortable. Mahal is also set up for a bladder, so on your longer rides that my be useful. I'd pick between them based on how much you want to carry.

I sometimes bike ~2mi to the course. If I am not wearing my fade crunch bag on quads, I just bungee it to my rear cargo rack.

I bike to my local course, roughly 3 miles. Last year used a Grip and loved it. Just picked up a Mahal for my practice bag (needed something to carry 30+ for this). Fully loaded, the yoke system is surprisingly comfortable. Mahal is also set up for a bladder, so on your longer rides that my be useful. I'd pick between them based on how much you want to carry.

I think some people had some issue, but I love mine. I didn't get it from Voodoo i got it in an actuation.

Yeah, I think I had looked at that bag a while back and liked the specs a lot, but you can't get them right now, can you? Weren't they discussed on here somewhere as having some QC issues or something, and they're re-tooling or redesigning them? Or am I thinking of another bag...?

Yes you are correct that is the Spinal Tap. I'm not sure if they fixed the issues a lot of people were having. I assume they have.

Have you considered a bicycle trailer? You could then carry whatever bag you wanted. That may be overkill though, just throwing it out there.

I was touring on my motorcycle once, and ran across a collage kid doing a cross country bicycle trip with about a 50 pound dog in tow! All of his other gear was ultra-light backpacking stuff.

I'm in the same situation as you. I currently use a Phenix bag on a GoCart as my main but am looking to get a backpack-style for riding with my cyclocross bike.
I've looked at quite a few. For me, the Grip is too small. I carry more discs and want some extra space. Besides, I need to carry shoes as I ride with cycling specific clipless shoes. The Voodoo Spinal Tap looked really good, but they have been completely "out-of-stock" since September! Doesn't seem like they're happy with any strap separation issues. The new Prodigy back looks quite promising capacity wise. From what's currently available the full-sized Prodiscus looks like the best way to go (for me). The width might make drivers stay a little farther away. And maybe if it's been a really long day I can pick up a 40 on the way home!

How about a Timbuk2 messenger bag? I used one of my smaller ones for a disc bag when I started playing. I could fit 8 to 10 in one of my smaller ones ( I own 4 ). They will be made for your purpose, riding a bike AND carrying stuff. You can customize them when you buy and they will be made better than any DG bag you can buy for the same price. The liner inside these things is heavy duty rubber truck tarp material...they are water proof, adjustable, and comfortable for any use.

Got a reply this morning, and while their HQ is in Lawrence their distribution center is in Texas so they don't have any product locally...bummer.

I'll let you put mine on at the monkey island open. It's an L frame though not an A so might not do any good. I'd just ask someone with an A frame to check it out. It's got the sternum strap and fairly aerodynamic it will probably ride better than some others. Plus you can zip up the putter pocket and close the flap.

I wanting to ride my bike and motorcycle to the course more often this summer. I'm leaning towards the ergo2 because I like the the vertical disc storage. I have ridden with my fade comp bag with innova straps and it sucked. I hated having all the weight right on my lower back.

I'll let you put mine on at the monkey island open. It's an L frame though not an A so might not do any good. I'd just ask someone with an A frame to check it out. It's got the sternum strap and fairly aerodynamic it will probably ride better than some others. Plus you can zip up the putter pocket and close the flap.

If I haven't bought something before then I'll take you up on that!

The more I research the more I come down to either the Grip or Ergo2... if I wasn't concerned about the number of discs it would hold I'd jump on the Ergo2, but as it is I'm leaning towards the Grip...

I'm lucky, there's a walking/cycling path between my house and Riverview Park. It's about a 6 mile ride the Grip A series rides nicely. The only draw back for me is the lack of space for a light jacket or sweatshirt. You can cram one in the side pockets, but extra clothing doesn't fit well.

Latest posts