• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

Seems like a bit of 'Scrub' mentality creeping into some of these posts.

What the OP did could hardly be considered trash talk on any sort of level.

People just love to craft all sorts of 'imaginary ettiquette' rules to suit their needs at any point in time.

Isn't it everyone on the card's job to verify that all the scores are correct? If no one knows their or anyone else's score then how do you prevent pencil-whipping?

It's already been pointed out, but it can only be a strategic advantage to know your score with respect to everyone else's scores. If you play worse with better information then there's a huge problem with your game. Losing because there's a huge problem with your game isn't something you can blame on someone else.

Stuff like this is one of the reasons I don't play a lot of tournaments. Getting upset about hearing your score? How do you people deal with anything in life?

I don't necessarily get upset... its just bad form, like wearing your hat inside, or not opening a door for a lady. If someone did the same thing in a ball golf tournament people would be super pissed, I am not that worried about it by any means but it is bad etiquette.

you guys not understanding the problem just don't understand the competitive side of the sport. I can assure you, you would NEVER hear this happen on a professional card. Pro's understand that the mental side of this game is what separates the cream of the crop. 3 holes to go at the Japan Open and Nikko and McBeth are battling it out for second and only a few shots off Ricky. NO ONE on that card the last 3 holes discussed each others score. NO ONE.

If you want to know where you stand, ask to look at the card. Announcing anything about scores mid-round is gamesmanship and poor form. At least have the courtesy to ask if the other players want to know where they stand. If one person doesn't agree then keep it all to yourself

Some of my best tournaments I wasn't sure where I stood. I just knew I was playing good golf and others on my card were doing the same.

It is certainly understable that someone new to tournaments, or new to the lead card, would not know or expect this piece of etiquette.

I find it incredible that anyone would not want to know where they stand, relative to others, coming down the stretch. I've never played another sport where people didn't want to know. But I've played enough disc golf now to know that there are plenty of disc golfers who prefer to not know, and I respect that.

In my early days, based on my experience in other sports, I would have done just what the O.P. did---not as gamemanship, but sportsmanship, assuming that, without an official scoreboard, people would want to know where they stood. It would seem to be a courtesy to reveal that information.

Nowadays, out of respect for my opponents' preferences, if I'm in contention down the stretch drive I will look at the scorecard and calculate where everyone stands. But I'll ask if they want to know, and respect their wishes if they don't.

The part of the opponent blaming his crash on this strikes me as funny, though. Interesting that the pressure of knowing he was tied destroyed the opponent, but the same knowledge didn't hurt the O.P.

I always hope to have trash talkers on a card. I've played several tournament with the same guys and we love the trash talking. Hell, the only people we invite to join our club are people that can trash talk in good nature.

Here's our unwritten rules; don't talk during a shot, don't walk in front of the basket unless your clearing the chains, and don't pee in other people's drinks(this shouldn't be a thing but.....). All other mental trickery is allowed. It prepares you for a tourney, because if you can handle our guys you can at least handle someone calling out scores.

If you don't know everyone's score how can you possibly know if someone is pencil whipping? I don't like it, but we are the police of ourselves. Until that changes, we should all be very cognizant of our competitors scores as well as our own.

I personally dont like to know my score and where i stand relative to my card/the field, etc. But unless i was very specific about that with someone before they read it to me, i wouldnt be upset at all. Even if i was, i doubt i would get upset, i just prefer to play and not let any type of urgency get in my head and force a bad play

A few years ago I was leading a tournament going into the last round. I kept a separate scorecard so that I knew where I was at during the last round, but kept it to myself. When we got to the last hole, I had a 2-shot lead. The dude that was chasing me was first to tee, parked his drive, looked at me and proclaimed that I had better put mine close or the tournament was his. I politely corrected him, and informed him that I believe I had a 2-shot cushion. I ended up winning, as I laid up and took my 3 for the win. After the round the guy that was chasing berated the hell out of me for not telling him earlier what the scores were.

Basically, I'm just attempting to point out that people will get pissed if you tell them their score, and if you don't.......apparently.

I always hope to have trash talkers on a card. I've played several tournament with the same guys and we love the trash talking. Hell, the only people we invite to join our club are people that can trash talk in good nature.

Here's our unwritten rules; don't talk during a shot, don't walk in front of the basket unless your clearing the chains, and don't pee in other people's drinks(this shouldn't be a thing but.....). All other mental trickery is allowed. It prepares you for a tourney, because if you can handle our guys you can at least handle someone calling out scores.

If you don't know everyone's score how can you possibly know if someone is pencil whipping? I don't like it, but we are the police of ourselves. Until that changes, we should all be very cognizant of our competitors scores as well as our own.

I wish there were more players that like friendly banter and a little respectful trash talk. I prefer it that way.

While I think discussing score during the round is kind of a no-no, this guy has no right to blame his performance on anything besides himself.

^^^ this. i hate knowing what the score is, especially if i'm going into the final round is a couple of stroke lead. i play best when only worrying about the next shot and not how many strokes i'm ahead or behind.

I don't play tourney's, but with my disc buddies we try to take turns keeping score and only tell the score when asked. After hole 9 we always announce the standings. Since we aren't pros I don't think it plays mind games with us, but I can't speak for our crew. Generally if I know I'm doing bad I continue doing bad and if I know I'm doing well I continue doing well. Basically I guess him getting mad that he sucked it up is kind of stupid, but then again I wouldn't tell someone the standings unless asked to do so.

I was once in a 3-way battle in the final round, and keeping everyone's position in my head. The other two didn't want to know.

By the last hole, I had fallen off the pace, but I knew where they stood relative to each other.

One player was about 60' out, with O.B. behind the basket, and laid up. He lost by one. Had he known the score, he would have known that running at the basket was his only chance.

Which is still his choice---to play without knowing, and wait until afterwards to count the scores and see how he did. But he would have been better off if I'd rudely told him his score going into that hole.

Basically, I'm just attempting to point out that people will get pissed if you tell them their score, and if you don't.......apparently.
Bahaha you can't cure stupidity Hammer.

It goes much farther than score as well. Really when you are competing in Open and Pro divisions the best thing to do is keep the conversation about things other than disc golf just to be safe. I'll share a story to elaborate.

sorry in advance as I am longwinded to a fault
2 years ago I was playing a B-tier in Kinston, NC. It was the first round. I was lucky enough to share the card with 2 Time World Champ Barry Schultz. Hole 6 in Kinston for those that have not plaid it is an extremely weird hole. It is like 150ish feet through a bending gap that is seriously no more than 2 feet wide for the first 100 feet of hole and plays to a 3 foot high dirt mound with the basket perched on top. You will see every shot imaginable there and LOTS of layups if you are not inside 20 feet for your putt. We are playing Hole 5 a long par 4 and are finishing up the hole. We had a person walking along with our group as a spectator. It was non other than DGCR favorite Robert MTL Leonard. he was walking and talking with us as we approached hole 6 and he makes a comment about how "stupid" he thinks the 6th hole is and offers a few thoughts on why he thinks this.

I agree with Robert on the hole and thought nothing of his comments as I was probably in my head thinking the same thing. We play the hole out and start to walk to hole 7. At this time Barry pulls Robert aside and lets him know how displeased Barry was about Roberts comment prior to playing the hole. Barry was extremely calm and respectful but he let Robert know in no uncertain terms that it was poor etiquette to discuss a hole in that way prior to the card playing it. Robert understood immediately the error in his comment and apologized. All was good afterwards.

The point is Pro's take etiquette very seriously. and apparently it can be very easy to get into some of the top pros heads. while I don't think that anyone is responsible for my bad shots other than me, I respect the fact that some Pro's expect you to keep your comments on the score, game, holes etc. to yourself. and I am not going to question Barry Schultz's preferences. He is one of the 2 or 3 greatest to ever play the game. I respect his opinions.

At this time Barry pulls Robert aside and lets him know how displeased Barry was about Roberts comment prior to playing the hole. Barry was extremely calm and respectful but he let Robert know in no uncertain terms that it was poor etiquette to discuss a hole in that way prior to the card playing it.
He should have put some earbuds in or something. :)

Is it bad etiquette to tell other players on your card where you stand? I think he was just being a sore loser.

Yes, it is generally considered bad form to discuss other people's scores or ties, etc during the round. It's best to leave it for after the round.

Coming to disc golf after play college basketball, I can't believe how mentally weak most golfers are. Complaining about noise, people standing in the wrong spot, people telling them their score, give me a break. This is why it's hard for a lot of people to take golf and disc golf serious as a sport. Think about basketball, football, soccer players, etc. and the distractions that they perform under. You are either mentally weak, or you are not. Period. I understand and respect etiquette, but if you blame something like that on your loss, get yourself a binky and a blanket.

Yeah that was dirty what u did. U should have kept ur score to yourself. Just like proffesional golfers try not to look at the scoreboard. There is already enough pressure being on the lead card without u "workin him".

Its "bad form" for u to do that. U wont make many friends calling out someone elses total score in a tournament.

You don't know what you're talking about. Most majors have several electronic boards scattered around the course so players can keep up with their competitors' progress. Phil Mickleson said that the new boards at the 2013 British Open gave him confidence as he pulled away on the last 3 holes.

In a casual group of 4, my friends and I have no trouble keeping track of where we all are without writing scores down. Tourneys are definitely different due to being caught up in the game.
But as far as calling out the scores during a tourney round, we only give out a person's score if they request it.

Last edited:
Mental midgets

Whoever complains about this is a mental midget. Didn't you say you were playing intermediate?

Latest posts