• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad Etiquette?

yea

Coming to disc golf after play college basketball, I can't believe how mentally weak most golfers are. Complaining about noise, people standing in the wrong spot, people telling them their score, give me a break. This is why it's hard for a lot of people to take golf and disc golf serious as a sport. Think about basketball, football, soccer players, etc. and the distractions that they perform under. You are either mentally weak, or you are not. Period. I understand and respect etiquette, but if you blame something like that on your loss, get yourself a binky and a blanket.
^^ what he said

Coming to disc golf after play college basketball, I can't believe how mentally weak most golfers are. Complaining about noise, people standing in the wrong spot, people telling them their score, give me a break. This is why it's hard for a lot of people to take golf and disc golf serious as a sport. Think about basketball, football, soccer players, etc. and the distractions that they perform under. You are either mentally weak, or you are not. Period. I understand and respect etiquette, but if you blame something like that on your loss, get yourself a binky and a blanket.

Those are team sports. In individual sports its a little different. While I somewhat agree with you from a mental standpoint if you don't have a background in team sports noises and such may make a difference. I personally don't care if you scream or walk in the background. I said it earlier. DIFFERENT STROKES FOR DIFFERENT FOLKS. Not everyone is head strong. I like being chatty and prefer certain players on my card that like to go back and forth with some friendly banter. Some people like to be left alone with their demons.

/thread

I normally ask people if they want to know where they are over all. I normally will hold a card the whole tourney. Some people want to and some dont. I

Those are team sports. In individual sports its a little different.

Are there individual sports in which players don't know, or don't want to know, their standing until after the competition is over?

In particular, sports with risk/reward decisions to be made coming down the stretch?

OP- For sure it was poor etiquette but it's intermediate division so I'm sure things happen like that all the time. If someone wants to know where they stand they can ask to look at the card. No need to tell your playing competitors anything. Just play your game and let them play theirs.

I was asked by a newer player about paying attention to his score during a tournament. He was expecting to win (which he did, Rec).
My advice was to not pay attention to the score card until the last few holes. Then check to see where you are and what you have to do to win. He said he followed that advice and it helped.

I don't want anyone telling me my score but if they did it would be my responsibility to handle it properly.

True, but coming from a hockey background, I can't believe how mentally weak most basketball players are. Complaining about hitting, checking and fighting. One little hand check and....FOUL and you get "free" throws for your trouble. I hope the sarcasm was not lost in the message. Golf has different rules regarding boundries of sportsmanship, and it is not always a bad thing.

I have played plenty of team sports, but also individual sports, namely track and field, power lifting and wrestling. In those sports (as in disc golf) it is essential to know where you stand. Not doing so would be utter folly.

Toughen up, Nancys. This seems to be a male ego problem. I have never once heard any of these types of complaints from the ladies divisions, but I hear it all the time from men.

While it doesn't bother me to know my score or hear it discussed, I'd rather not talk about it. I keep track of all scores and know where I stand in relation to other players, but do consider it bad form to discuss scores without being asked.

I would also say that there is a big difference between knowing your score and discussing it. I think some are missing that distinction.

You guys comparing Football and basketball to golf crack me up. The reason I enjoy competing at the professional level of disc golf is it is most often a gentleman's game at that level.

Anon, Headphones were in full effect

Myoung red2020 I honestly can't even reply to your ridiculous statements and comparisons. basketball and golf...if there was ever apples and oranges this is it. I guess every professional ball golfer is mentally weak week in and week out. How many times on televised rounds of golf do you hear caddies, officials and players ask the crowd to please be quite, stand still, quite moving while they swing. SMH

Great shooting last weekend. It was okay for him to tell you he doesn't want to know that stuff and give you a heads up in the future that others may not want to as well, but carried on way too long and probably should not have brought up the "I think you did it on purpose" bit at the end. --Ben

So I want to hear about this round. OP had a 9 stroke lead going into the last round. gave all 9 shots up in 10 holes. and then ended up getting all nine strokes back plus a bonus in 8 holes. holy roller coaster.

You did this to me!!

When you have lost (or are in the process of losing) it is always nice (& convenient) to have a scape-goat handy. At that particular moment, you sir were the perfect scape-goat!
Moral of the story: don't be the goat! Keep your mouth shut. You don't know what is going on/off in the feeble mind!

P.S. Wait for the meltdown! :popcorn:

Disc golf is an individual sport where you are generally competing against the course and the field rather than an individual player. So the thought that one must always know exactly where they stand not just with their own score but with the others in the group isn't necessarily a universal thing as it would be in a head-to-head game like a team sport.

For me, I keep my own card during a round so I generally know what my score is at any point, so I don't need it announced to me (but I also don't care if it is). Whether I pay attention to how that relates to the others in my group usually will depend on whether we're vying for first place or not. In other words, if I'm on the lead card, I know where first place is and where I am in relation to it. But if I'm on the third card or something, I really couldn't care less where I am in relation to the guys I'm playing with. I'm playing to shoot as well as I can and let the chips fall where they may after the round is over. 8th place vs 9th place isn't such a major point of contention IMO.

That's not to say I'm not watching my groupmates play the holes and trying to keep track of their shots in order to double check and prevent cheating, but that's for each hole individually. I'm making sure that when they say they scored a 4, it really was a 4 and it gets written down as such. But I'm not necessarily going to go beyond that to figure out if that 4 puts them 1 stroke up on me or 3 strokes down or whatnot. And if at some point I feel I need to know that info, I can ask to see the card or if I happen to have it, do the math myself.