• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

bad round excuses thread

I had a regular friend on my card who was having a really, really bad day and one bad approach he turned to me and said, "Really?" I replied, "It appears so." To which he replied, "Really?"

Haha

There is always an excuse

It may not be true.
Most of the excuses do have an effect, but it's mostly just a bad release.
Funny thread.

I generally don't make excuses for playing poorly. But one genuine, legitimate, excuse for poor play is biting flies. South-Eastern Maine and the Norfolk, VA area both have annoying, biting flies. Even if I'm smothered in bug repellent, they'll still buzzz me and tick off of my hat, etc.

So they're a distraction for sure. And my putting skills don't allow for distractions. :p

At my home course, we do have to deal with people who when driving by honk their horns continuously if they see people playing.

This reminded me of one. When I was in AZ this past November playing Los Olivos, I was on my 2nd hole of the day when a car drove by. The tee is right at the corner of two streets. A guy is hanging out the window and yells "Disc Golfers are a bunch of P*ssies!" I laughed it off, and a couple people sitting on a bench asked me "What did he say?"

That was a bit of a distraction considering I was on a business trip, all of the way across the country, in a big city having no idea what kind of neighborhood this was. And then I did pull my drive right and high into an early tree. :doh:

One more.

Saying something to the effect of: "That was a perfect putt. These baskets are horrible." Then stand with hands on hips staring at the basket, as if the basket cares. All of this after (RHBH) hitting high-left chain anyway. I have, literally, seen this on a youtube video with a top professional.

I also love the "That was a perfect shot" comments. If it didn't go in the basket (on a reachable hole), then it wasn't perfect was it? :D

One more.

Saying something to the effect of: "That was a perfect putt. These baskets are horrible."

DUDE!!!! I kid you NOT! I played a course today that have the baskets from hell!!! The guy that designed them made the ring a good 1-2 inches MORE NARROW than 'regulation' baskets. I'll post some pics next time I play the course. YOU tell me. This is some crazy sh!t now. I lost 3 strokes on the fall from the chains.

DUDE!!!! I kid you NOT! I played a course today that have the baskets from hell!!! The guy that designed them made the ring a good 1-2 inches MORE NARROW than 'regulation' baskets. I'll post some pics next time I play the course. YOU tell me. This is some crazy sh!t now. I lost 3 strokes on the fall from the chains.

I've played some like that, too. Narrow width, single layer of chains, plywood tray with just a piece of landscaping edging for the cage. I totally know what you mean!

picture.php

This was one of the original baskets at Jumonville Glenn. They've since been replaced with Liberty baskets, a huge improvement! Still it was nice that they were able to start the course out with the home-made baskets.

I have no idea what you're talking about... but it's still funny!

You were saying that 'your putting skills don't allow for distractions' and I added that 'we don't have time to bleed either' in my best Arnold voice translated to written word. Having a little fun.....

That basket will step your game up a notch. I used to use one of those old metal washtubs on a trashcan. Now THAT is ghetto, as my daughters would say.

cant stand a person on my card!!

there was one person i threw with who lost his disc and would not stop complaining and moaning about it the entire round.

i will bitch a little, but he was just going ON and ON for several holes swearing, talking about how someone was going to find his disc and not call, then throw it and blah blah blah. it was like he'd caught his gf screwing someone.

it did definitely impact my round for the worse.

i don't make excuses for rounds, but i do for certain shots. :D

^^^I'm to going to admit to a big no-no.

Had a guy who often came to Sunday doubles at Ann Mo wind up as my partner. He ranted and raved about his performance the entire round[and he'd done this before], and pretty much put us all on edge. Neither team shot under par, at a course where the winners normally shoot -7 to -14.
So the next time we flipped discs to start dividing into teams, I watched to see whether he was heads or tails----and then picked up my disc and walked surreptitiously to the other group[though it cut me out of some possible fortuitous partnerships] . Not proud or necessarily ashamed, just sayin'.
Fortunately he was trouble enough for everyone that he burned his bridges, and usually isn't there anymore.

Last edited:

Latest posts